4 days in and two shoots later, I'm in love with the EM5.

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by stephography, Sep 17, 2012.

1. stephography

stephography Mu-43 Regular

Sep 12, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Stephan
    Hey guys! Just wanted to chime in since I purchased the Oly OMD EM5 a few days ago. Four days in and I'm absolutely smitten with it!

Normally I shoot with a D700 + D7000, but I've always wanted something more portable to take along with me when I'm not shooting for other people (I wouldn't consider myself a professional, but I do occasionally shoot events, weddings, engagement and lifestyle sessions). My girlfriend and I are diehard Disney fans and each time we go, I despise the thought of lugging around a fairly large DSLR just to capture some photos of us at the park.

I've owned the Panny GF2-- loved it but it was lacking a bit in terms of physical controls (something I need and have grown accustomed to ever since I started shooting with DSLRs). I've also spent a pretty penny on the Pentax Q when it was released (super small and the body + controls were amazing for such a tiny camera), though the sensor really wasn't on par with today's offerings and quickly sold it while it was still in demand.

Enter the EM5. After hearing about it, I figured I could try the M43 setup once more before resigning to lugging my D700 around whenever the girlfriend wanted pictures (and boy was it torture around my neck, especially during those long Disneyland days). There must've been a reason why the EM5 was getting rave reviews and was constantly sold out for the first two months of its release (both on Amazon and in brick-and-mortar establishments).

This camera is simply amazing, especially for its size. I'm in love with the way it looks, and the way it garners attention from everyone else that sees it. In the four days that I've had the pleasure of owning it, I've had three occasions where random people came up to me and asked what kind of film I'm using to shoot with and even convinced a couple that it was indeed digital (one fairly older gentleman wouldn't believe it even if I showed him the articulating touchscreen on the back, lol). The IBIS blows my mind away too, I was able to get shots that were impossible on the D7000 without a tripod, all handheld! While the sensor is smaller than FX or even DX, Oly and Sony did a wonderful job working within their bounds to make a sensor that's low on noise yet still capable of presentable bokeh. I'm really in love.

So much that I actually took it to two shoots this past weekend. It was bold and daring by my standards, and boy was I a bit nervous bringing my mini Pelican case to both of the sessions in fear that my clients would think I'm some sort of joke. I figured that the camera doesn't make the photographer, so I threw caution to the wind and went against my intuition, excited and anxious to see how the little Oly would hold up during the session.

Coupled with the Panny/Leica 25mm 1.4, this thing received my stamp of approval. After showing my clients the photos from both sessions (one yesterday and one today), they all were just as pleased as I was with the photos. That's really good news because I hated lugging around a wheeled Pelican 1500 with my DSLR gear through public places. I always felt as if someone was watching me, waiting for me to leave it alone for just a minute so they could swipe it and make a few grand off the goods, lol. With the EM5, I'm able to fit the camera body, the 25mm/50 equiv, 45mm/90 equiv and 14mm/28 equiv in a small 10x8x5 Pelican 1200 case (the three lenses are enough to cover most of the focal ranges I use). And that's portability at its finest!

I know I've rambled on for much longer than I expected, but I did so because I love this camera so much. I can't wait to take it on future on-location shoots because it's so pleasant to use and discreet when it needs to be. Of course my DSLRs still have a place in my library of gear, I still think that the M43 system needs a bit more improvement when it comes to event shooting, especially in halls and ballrooms (DSLR-quality AF and high ISO noise, to name a couple). It's clear though that in a few years time we might just have that M43 sensor that can rival today's full frame sensors in terms of IQ, resolution and noise :].

And that's my introduction to the forum. I hope to be able to contribute as much as everyone else here, as it seems like a great community!

Some pictures from today's shoot (the first two are OOC JPEGs, while the last two have been cropped with slight color correction. No noise reduction has been done in post!)

Panasonic/Leica 25mm f/1.4 @ 1/320 f/1.4 ISO 200
    gi-ceejay-preview-1.

Panasonic/Lumix 14mm f/2.5 @ 1/400 f/3.5 ISO 200
    gi-ceejay-preview-2.

Panasonic/Leica 25mm f/1.4 @ 1/60 f/1.4 ISO 1000
    gi-ceejay-preview-3.

Panasonic/Leica 25mm f/1.4 @ 1/40 f/1.4 ISO 80
    gi-ceejay-preview-4.

• Like Like x 9
  2. stephography

Sep 12, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Stephan
    I posted this in the Oly OM-D E-M5 picture thread, but I want to post it here too because I will be updating this thread with images I've shot with the EM5.

[Panasonic/Leica 25mm 1.4] 1/50 @ f/2.0, ISO 400
    ashley-levi-preview-unedited-1.

[Panasonic/Leica 25mm 1.4] 1/400 @ f/2.5, ISO 200
    ashley-levi-preview-unedited-2.

[Panasonic/Leica 25mm 1.4] 1/500 @ f/2.2, ISO 400
    ashley-levi-preview-unedited-3.

[Panasonic/Leica 25mm 1.4] 1/125 @ f/2.2, ISO 200
    ashley-levi-preview-unedited-5.

[Olympus 45mm 1.8] 1/500 @ f/1.8, ISO 200
    ashley-levi-preview-unedited-4.

• Like Like x 4
  3. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I'm glad you like the camera, because I hope you stick around and keep posting more work! Love your shots.

The control on the camera is excellent, and the size makes it very portable.

What's your lighting setup? Also, if I could ask -- what are you shooting for? Magazines? Websites? That doesn't look like consumer-level couples/portrait work, so I was just curious.

Is it a fashion shoot??

Thanks, welcome, and keep 'em comin'!

• Like Like x 1
  4. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Thanks for the write up and sharing Stephen. I am enjoying my Em-5 and are just about to take it on a 40 day holiday to the States. Last holiday I took my Big nikon as well and I didn't use it, so now I feel comfortable with my light kit.

I really like all of your shots but this one here is excellent.

best,
    icon

• Like Like x 1
  5. btango05

btango05 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 8, 2012
    Lathrop CA
    Nice shots...I like this one...looks very provocative! Just watch out for the CA/Purple fringe the P25 can give, you can see it on the contrast of the guys jacket with the white background. Yet still amazing!

• Like Like x 1
  6. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    +1 - Love this shot! Welcome to the forum!

7. BSH

BSH Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 18, 2012
    WI
    Indeed, the camera does not make the photographer. I couldn't make images this nice no matter what equipment you gave me. Very nice photos.

8. digitalandfilm

digitalandfilm Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 18, 2011
    It's very easy to remove in LR4.1.. just click the box by "remove chromatic abberation" under "lens correction" then "color".

9. chicaboo

chicaboo Mu-43 Regular

Sep 7, 2012
    Logan, QLD, Australia
    Gav
    Wow, those are some great high key images.

10. digitalandfilm

digitalandfilm Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 18, 2011
    Very nice couple.. (ahh to be young again)

:friends:

11. aikidoka

aikidoka Mu-43 Regular

Jul 18, 2011
    Montreal
    i just visited your website, great shots there! cheers!

• Like Like x 1
  12. stephography

Sep 12, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Stephan
    Thanks a bunch guys! It's great to get positive feedback from other photographers :).

I'm actually a freelance photographer and started my own business from the ground up. It's amazing what a little word of mouth can do after a couple successful portrait and event sessions! The photos from the first post are actually from an engagement shoot I did just yesterday, while the photos from the second set are from a lifestyle portraiture session I had on Saturday. I like to give my clients photos that give a photojournalistic feel, something that you may see in an editorial or print somewhere.

As far as the two shoots above, they were actually shot with no creative lighting involved! Everything is natural and what was given to me in terms of the venue (street lamps, sky windows, etc).

I did notice the CA when the Panny/Leica is at f/1.4! I expected it at some point, since most lenses I've used have some CA problems when they're wide open. Nothing a little LR can fix though :].

I had the opportunity to take it out again tonight and decided to test out the IBIS. I shot everything handheld and at ISO 200 while my GF and I window shopped at our local outdoor mall. With the Nikon D7k I normally don't shoot anything less than 1/100 handheld in fear that I might end up with a blurry picture (especially with the lack of VR on the prime lenses I am accustomed to), so I made an effort to shoot with the slowest shutter speed possible with IBIS on. I'll admit, I probably spent more time admiring the camera's capabilities than I was paying attention to what my GF wants to buy for the winter season, hahaha. Hopefully I won't face any repercussions with that tomorrow!

Here are the snapshots, OOC JPEGs but I ran it through Lightroom to slap my copyright/tag on them (it has become a habit lol). As usual, NR is off and Noise Filter is on Low.

Panasonic/Leica 25mm f/1.4 @ 1/100 f/1.4 ISO 200
    omd-night-1.

Panasonic/Leica 25mm f/1.4 @ 1/30 f/1.4 ISO 200
    omd-night-2.

Panasonic/Leica 25mm f/1.4 @ 1/25 f/1.4 ISO 200
    omd-night-3.

Panasonic/Leica 25mm f/1.4 @ 1/20 f/1.4 ISO 200
    omd-night-4.

Panasonic/Leica 25mm f/1.4 @ 1/4 f/1.4 ISO 200 (yeah, 1/4!)
    omd-night-5.

Panasonic/Leica 25mm f/1.4 @ 1/80 f/1.4 ISO 200
    omd-night-6.

Panasonic/Leica 25mm f/1.4 @ 1/25 f/1.4 ISO 200
    omd-night-8.

Panasonic/Leica 25mm f/1.4 @ 1/40 f/2.8 ISO 200
    omd-night-9.

Panasonic/Leica 25mm f/1.4 @ 1/20 f/1.4 ISO 200
    omd-night-10.

Panasonic/Leica 25mm f/1.4 @ 1/40 f/2.0 ISO 200
    omd-night-11.

Panasonic/Leica 25mm f/1.4 @ 1/40 f/2.0 ISO 200