4 B&W photos. Asking if they kinda have a filmish look?

Discussion in 'Black and White' started by Iconindustries, Jul 1, 2013.

1. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I was at the beach with a friend and it was overcast and cold so we couldn't do much. I had my camera with me and I thought may as well take some photos. When I have a camera in my hands it transforms me into this clown and I have so much fun. I guess people drink to help them forget their problems and it takes them to a different place. When I have a camera in my hand it does the same, I forget about everything and it takes me to a different place. My enjoyment is...I guess pretty amusing to my friends and they get as excited as me most of the time.

I'm excited right now to show you (my internet friends) my pictures. Mainly because I've been fiddling around in SFx and kinda like how they've turned out. What do you guys reckon? I've actually added grain. This is something I've never done before but it sorta looks filmish. I've never experienced film before so some of you older owls might be able to comment.

Omd and Olympus 45mm

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/50527022@N02/9183861666/" title="Just like when we were kids by iconindustries, on Flickr">[​IMG]"800" height="534" alt="Just like when we were kids"></a>

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/50527022@N02/9183504350/" title="Emsie by iconindustries, on Flickr">[​IMG]"800" height="533" alt="Emsie"></a>

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/50527022@N02/9181283101/" title="Faith, Hope and Love. And the greatest of these is Love by iconindustries, on Flickr">[​IMG]"800" height="534" alt="Faith, Hope and Love. And the greatest of these is Love"></a>

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/50527022@N02/9183616654/" title="shoe shine by iconindustries, on Flickr">[​IMG]"800" height="533" alt="shoe shine"></a>
  2. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    I've shot more Tri-X than I want to admit but it's been a while. In my mind, the biggest differences with B&W digital and film are 1) grain vs. noise and 2) dynamic range. To me, the distinctive look of B&W film is the wider DR and the tendency toward gray tones rather than blacks and whites. Your shots have a nice "grain" look to them but (to me) still have the DR look of digital. This is not to say they are not really good images, but you asked specifically about the film look. I particularly like the first and last ones.
  3. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Don't know about how film-like they are, perhaps this owl isn't old enough ;) ....but I do really like the last image.
  4. bluzcity

bluzcity Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 17, 2012
    Memphis, TN
    It is a nice set with creativity. Well done.
  5. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Thanks for your input. I don't know really know what ingredients make up a developed b&w image, so now I'll keep in mind the aspect you've mentioned, regarding more greyish tones rather than stark b&w. I picked up on the grain vs noise from listening to what others have said in the various film threads. Apparently grain is more pleasing to an older photogs as opposed to noise for some reason. It would be interesting to know why this is so?

Onya Joe, thanks mate. I like it when a picture turns out looking great, because at the time I didn't really even think about it. Maybe we learn to look at an image subconsciously:smile:

Thanks for dropping a line Bluzcity. It's good to hear confirmation that pictures are still coming out looking alright.

6. Just Jim

Just Jim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 20, 2011
    grain vs noise.

IMO. Don't like either grain, or noise. However if I was to choose I would take film grain over noise, digital noise is like a glaring punch in the face when it's obvious, where as grain is only slightly annoying... in comparison. I used to loathe grain as much as digital noise.

Then again, I'm very picky about my fuzz pedals. So take my opnion with a, grain, of salt.
  7. PhilS

PhilS Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 24, 2012
    Brisbane, Australia
    Phil Savory
    Love #1, her smile and pose are so beautiful and natural....
  8. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    These are relatively fine grain and snappy... in film speak, to me they have the look of Panatomic-X or Plus-X, printed on a grade 3 or 4 paper... quite snappy!

Nice images, regardless.
  9. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Great set of images and SFX is a very powerful tool and my favourite for B&W conversions.

For me, the added grain works and the images remind me of those shot with Kodak Plus-X film that had a nice grain effect that was due to the 125ISO (I Like many others would rate it at 100ISO), it was always my film of choice for good light and obviously less grainy the Tri-X.
  10. nreeque

nreeque New to Mu-43

Aug 28, 2013

I have to agree with this completely. Ill admit to shooting zero 35mm BW film in the digital age but I shoot medium format Tri-X and I don't think this is what the standard should be for comparison of digital files or film replication. If you want it to "look" like film a box of the stuff is cheap and the cameras that shoot it are constantly dropping in price.

I too use SilverFX and despite how powerful it is and how versatile it is a conversion just doesn't have the same tonality (depth or luminance) as a scanned neg.

all of these images are great and I don't think anyone will look at the prints thinking "pixel or cellulose" they will just say "WOW these are nice"
  11. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    Nice - I like them :)

Not sure about the vignette / darkening at the edges - it detracts from the overall composition.
  12. digitalandfilm

digitalandfilm Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 18, 2011
    Very nice conversions.

Here I shot with Kodak C-41 film and OM2 for comparison to actual b&w.

13. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    I like all of them, #3 is cute
  14. First photo her feet appear as bunny ears?
  15. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    I missed that... on a quick glance, I though she WAS wearing bunny ears.