1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

4/3s to Micro 4/3s lens adaptor for Olympus lenses?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Peakbagr, Feb 7, 2015.

1. Peakbagr

Peakbagr New to Mu-43

Jan 14, 2015
    Any recommendations for a 4/3s to Micro 4/3s lens adaptor for Olympus lenses? Would prefer not to spend big $$ on the one made by Olympus.

Thanks

2. KBeezie

KBeezie Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 15, 2012
    Grand Rapids, Mi
    Karl Blessing
    While I've used several fotodiox adapters with very good success (PK, Adaptall, LTM, etc, basically mechanical), I've never used their 4/3-m4/3 adapter, but they do have an electronic adapterlike the olympus one but for half the price.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/994972-REG/fotodiox_om_4_3_mft_pro_micro_4_3_mft.html

You will likely not find one for less than $80 new that's reliable and provides full compatibility (ie: AF, etc)

A little off topic, but I was surprised to see they had Canon EOS/EF adapters that keep electronic compatibility onto m4/3. If you thought the Olympus adapter was expensive, check the price on those.

3. edmsnap

edmsnap Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 20, 2011
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Normally I recommend the generic cheapies when it comes to adapters, but with 4/3-to-ยต4/3 the cheapies have given me nothing but trouble. I'd strongly recommend taking the financial hit and going for the mmf-3.

4. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    I think this is even more important if you are using an E-M1 and any of the weatherproof 4/3 lenses, to maintain the weatherproof integrity.

• Like Like x 1
  5. KBeezie

KBeezie Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 15, 2012
    Grand Rapids, Mi
    Karl Blessing
    Oh the MMF-3 maintains weather sealing? That's nice if so. Also in the grand scheme of things, $160 isn't really that much when you consider what some competitors are charging for their full-electronic-functionality adapters.

6. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    Indeed it does.

7. listers_nz

listers_nz Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 22, 2013
    Christchurch, New Zealand
    Simon
    If weather sealing isn't a concern, then there is the Panasonic DMW-MA1, which B&H have listed for $99.95 new.

• Like Like x 1
  8. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    I found a slightly used mmf3 for $75. I've heard there are other brands with electronic passthrough for $50.
    The Fotodiox is under $80 on Amazon.

Barry

9. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    None of them are expensive, especially if you can find a second-hand deal with a big old 4/3rds lens.
    I have the Panasonic version, and a metal Chinese one which fits on some bodies better than others.

10. GrandpaBert

GrandpaBert New to Mu-43

Jan 12, 2014
    I bought two MMF-2 adapters for my 4/3 lenses and while the adapters are a little loose on my EM5 and EP5 I learned to accept it. I just bought an EM1 and first time out with my 50-200SWD +2X tele the camera & lens unlocked and almost fell off. I reattached the combo but same thing again! Tried the other MMF-2-same thing. Received brand new replacement EM1 from Olympus, same thing happens. Olympus' answer to my problems- BUY TWO NEW ADAPTERS. Beware- the Olympus adapters are very poorly made and move about on all M4/3 bodies. To have an adapter disengage from the body is totally unacceptable!

11. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    My MMF-3 is a tight, solid lock on my E-M1, the EC14 and the 50-200. Just for reference.

12. edmsnap

edmsnap Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 20, 2011
    Edmonton, Alberta
    If my MMF-3 were any tighter it wouldn't be mountable.

13. EarthQuake

EarthQuake Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2013
    You can usually pick up a used MMF3 for about $100 on ebay.

14. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    I have an MMF-2 and MMF-3 and neither of them are in any way loose fitting or likely to come undone by themselves.

15. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Mine is good, and my Pana adapter was fine as well. (I sold the Pana after I got the weather-sealed mmf3.)

Barry

16. AussiePhil

AussiePhil Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 1, 2014
    Canberra, ACT, Aust
    Phil
    Based on all the negativity for MMFx Chinese clones I must be lucky, the one I have has given me zero problems in nearly 12 months and the only reason I eventually bought a MMF-3 was for the weather sealing.

Both have been tight, slightly more so on the E-PM2 than the EM1.

I have now hesitation recommending a chinese one, the key I think is to ensure that the lens release button actually engages correctly, ie pops out, over rotation is possible causing the button to stay depressed and the electrical contact to then not work. Everything needs to "click" into place :smile:

Cheers

17. ChristineH

ChristineH New to Mu-43

Oct 7, 2014
    Denver, CO
    Agreed. Though I only use one lens with this adapter (the Zuiko 35mm f3.5 Macro), the lens functions as it did on a native 4/3 camera. That is to say slow AF, but it works. :)