4/3 to micro 4/3 adapters advice

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by manju69, Nov 2, 2011.

1. manju69

manju69 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 1, 2011
    Stroud, UK
    Pete
    Hi I am wondering about buying an adapter so I can use 4/3 lenses (maybe the Zd 25mm or the 35mm Macro) and the adapters made by olympus and Panasonic are quite expensive. There are also cheaper made in china/taiwan versions for half the price on eBay. Has anyone used one like this? Should I avoid them? Thanks in advance

2. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    If you are using actual 4/3 digital lenses, then you don't want an adapter which doesn't provide electrical contacts! Most of the Chinese adapters on eBay do not have electrical communication fo your lens, meaning you will have no aperture control or autofocus. I have heard of one which does have contacts, but have not heard from anybody who's used it yet.

Personally, I'd pay the extra simply to have it instock localy rather than waiting for shipping from an online source. The cheapest adapter from Oly and Panny should be the Olympus MMF-2, which has a lighter aluminum build. Of the other two (Oly MMF-1 and Panny DMW-MA1) the Panny tends to be cheaper though they share the exact same build and construction.

3. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Note that most of the native options are cheaper than the 4/3 lens + adapter.

The cheap adapters won't have the electrical contacts, so you won't have AF, aperture control on some lenses, or focal length in the EXIF.

IMHO, the only reason to use the 4/3->m4/3 adapters are if you already own the lenses, or there is not a native equivalent (fast telephoto, for example)

4. harrysue

harrysue Mu-43 Regular

Mar 12, 2011
    I believe the OP is looking at ebay knockoffs of the MMF adapter that do have contacts. These just started to appear on ebay recently.

In the USA, the difference between a Panasonic DMW-MA1 and one of those ebay clones is $30 USD, hardly enough to justify the risk. In the OP's ebay.co.uk. that difference is £49 or $80 USD. Now you might want to look at one.

I would wonder about the quality of the contact pads and the spring loaded pins. They need a durable gold plating or the contact surfaces will wear off. oxidize, and cause problems. The electrical contacts also need to mate smoothly with their corresponding contacts in the bodies and lenses. Hate to see a pin get jammed. Without seeing one in person or getting feedback from a knowledgeable buyer, I guess I wouldn't want to take a risk on a knock-off yet.

• Like Like x 1
  5. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Recently bought the Panasonic for a relative who switched from a 4/3 to an E-PL1. It works very well and she is quite pleased with it. It was $110.00 on Amazon - steep for an adapter perhaps, but she could use the lenses she already owned instead of buying replacements. It was definitely worth paying for the quality to be able to trust that it will last and not quit working 3 months from now.

6. manju69

manju69 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 1, 2011
    Stroud, UK
    Pete
    Yes, those are the ones I am looking at, and am cautious about! If it was just $30 I would pay in a moment. I may stay clear if no one has actually used them. Thanks

7. manju69

manju69 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 1, 2011
    Stroud, UK
    Pete
    Thanks Ned, helpful as ever. To answers ~tc~ this is for the 4/3 zuiko 35mm macro lens I picked up cheap second hand. Lighter and better magnification than my legacy macro, and there is nothing available in m4/3 unless paying for the PL45. I read such good things about this lens that I couldn't resist a bargain! May not be such a bargain with a adapter but it's all easy to re sell.

8. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    You're probably better off just getting a manual focus macro.

The 35mm AFs extremely slowly on micro 4/3. And it will only function with a Panasonic or Olympus adapter (the contact-less knockoffs won't work). So that's $250 to get it working.

A Nikon 55/3.5 AI and adapter to m4/3 can be had for $100. You get just as good magnification, more working distance and you don't have to deal with focus-by-wire. You do lose AF, but trust me, given how slow the AF on the 35/3.5 is, it's not much of a loss.

DH

9. JJJPhoto

JJJPhoto Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 8, 2011
    Cincinnati, OH
    Jerry Jackson Jr
    For whatever it is worth, my Panasonic 4/3 to m4/3 adapter stopped working earlier this year and I had to replace it. I got the newer Olympus adapter which feels lighter but has been working perfectly.