1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

4/3 to Micro 4/3 adapter

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Farcanalman, Feb 21, 2012.

1. Farcanalman

Farcanalman  

Feb 12, 2012
    I have spoken to SRB-Griturn in the U.K. and Novoflex in Germany about whether they are planning on producing a 4/3 to Micro 4/3 adapter, SRB say they have no immediate plans and Novoflex say they are considering doing so sometime soon!

That said, does anyone know of another manufacturer for such an adapter?

And please do not suggest any of the rake of dodgy Hong Kong/China stuff, I do not want any nasty recycled Kalashnikov or soft copper/Brass components!

:confused:

2. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    Olympus and Panasonic both make them complete with electrical contacts for lens/body communication.

Fred

3. Farcanalman

Farcanalman  

Feb 12, 2012
    A question of cost...

I know, but they also charge a phenomenal amount of money for them too, I am a Post-Graduate Zoologist that gets no funding and am also the househusband in our single income family.

I just wish one of the 2 companies I mentioned would make the adapter.

I have just paid £30 for an Adaptall to Micro 4/3 adapter, that is a reasonable price and even though it maintains no contact with the electronics of the camera, this is of no consequence as I do all my Macro work manually!

An example is the Rokinon 85mm f1.4, it is available in Olympus 4/3 mount but the price of pan/oly mount and the AF connection that is useless to me does not justify a £130 price tag!

Anyone know of a well made item just to do the job of allowing me to mount 4/3 to M4/3?

4. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Viltrox makes Four-Thirds to Micro Four-Thirds adapters with electric communication. You can pick them up on eBay, I believe.

I haven't tried these, as I've had the original Panasonic adapter since the early days and the only one I'm interested in adding now is the new MMF-3 weather-sealed adapter.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    Watch and wait for a used oly or panny then, if knock offs aren't good enough then this is your only option I believe. You could always try a more economical mount as well, 4/3 glass really isn't cost effective once you factor in the adapter.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Farcanalman

Farcanalman  

Feb 12, 2012
    Erm...

The Viltrox website is about as good as my daughter(4) could make, unless of course it does not like firefox!

According to thier 'site' they only currently make a Micro 4/3 to 4/3 adapter and that makes about as much sense as a chocolate teapot!

Second-hand is the only real way I suppose, as long as I am prepared to wait until an MMF-1 or 2 comes along at less than half original sale price.

:rofl:

7. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Why not get the Rokinon in F mount (or Pentax mount) instead? Same lens, same abilities, adapters for m4/3 are far more affordable and available, and the lens will have much wider appeal if you ever decide to sell it.

The only real use for 4/3 adapters are for native 4/3 lenses which require electronic contacts to function. All the manual lenses can be done in other mounts for less fuss and money.

DH

8. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    This is common practice for eBay sellers (even the American ones!) to sometimes list their adapters "backwards" from mount to lens rather than lens to mount. The lack of consistency shows that it's not because they mean to, but most likely because they mess up and don't know any better, lol. I've even seen the popular US seller Fotodiox call the 4/3 mount "OM(3/4)", and print that on the adapters themselves!
    [​IMG]
    Welcome to the new world of eBay!

The Viltrox adapter is 4/3-to-m4/3 though, not the other way around... whatever their website may sound like. xD
    I actually have not heard any bad things about their adapters yet.

• Like Like x 1
  9. punkman

punkman Mu-43 Regular

Dec 30, 2011
    Europe
    All my made-in-China adapters work just fine and I think the quality is more than adequate. The only exception is a Canon FD-M4/3 adapter that seems to have some play on the FD side. I suspect it's my mistake not locking the bayonet properly, but it can be fixed easily with some gaffer tape.

Some people say only the expensive adapters get infinity focus right. After shimming my cheap M42 adapter, I've acquired some lenses that won't get to infinity with the shims. The cheap adapters are made shorter so they can accommodate the odd lens. Not because they can't do precision manufacturing or proper quality control.

Anyway, that's what my experience has been so far.

If you are interested, I have a barely used Olympus MMF-2 adapter and Olympus 40-150mm f4 lens. I don't think I'll be getting another 4/3 lens, so I'd rather get rid of these as a package. It's a nice compact combo just doesn't fit well with the rest of my kit.

10. tin008

tin008 New to Mu-43

Apr 15, 2012
    hi... I have 2 questions related to this.
    1.) Can I use the 3 adapters "interchangeably" ? the Olympus MMF-1 and MMF-2 , and Panasonic DMW-MA1. I meant if I mount a Panasonic lens on a Olympus MMF-1 or MMF-2, and put it on a Panasonic camera system, like G2, G3, GF1, GF2 or GF3. Will it work without losing any feature, like autofocus and aperture detection.. Or the other way around.. using a Olympus lens on a Panasonic DMW-MA1 adapter On Olympus E-P1, E-P2, E-P3 or E-PL2 .. etc ?

2.) The auto focus issue with regular 4/3 lens on adapter was well documented that it is slower when comparing with native micro 4/3 lens. So, assuming my above question #1 is possible to use the adapter "interchangeably". will this "cross brand" usage further reduce the performance issue?

Thanks

11. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Yes - the adapters can be used interchangeably with no difference in performance. They are functionally identical in terms of AF and aperture. The only difference is in build (what material the adapter is built of), and weather-sealing (the MMF-3 has it, the others don't).

No. Again, they are functionally identical. Performance is purely determined by the camera and the lens.

DH

12. tin008

tin008 New to Mu-43

Apr 15, 2012
    Hi DH,

a lot of thanks for clarification.