1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

4/3 to MFT adaptors

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by bkdjr, Mar 30, 2013.

1. bkdjr

bkdjr New to Mu-43

Mar 30, 2013
    New to MFT but an old timer with photography. I have a question that has been asked and answered a dozen times, but never conclusively, IMO. I bought a refurb E-Pm1 to play with before taking the big leap into MFT (Canon FF user now). Like a lot of other folks I am confused by all the lenses and variations, specifically the Oly 40-150 and variants. I had heard all the great things about the original 3.5, but after ordering one realized they were using it with an adapter. Some people swear its the way to go, others say nay, some say focus is a little slower but useable, others are not as impressed.
    Sharpness is the most importation thing to me, followed by focus speed and weight. I am pretty sure its the sharpest, but also it is going to focus either a little or a lot slower depending on who you listen to. So if anyone out there has used both the 4/3 and MFT of the 40-150, is the focus speed acceptable for anything other than sports? Could you quantify, like does the MFT seem 50% faster? 200%? 50% is acceptable, 200 isn't. My kit 14-40 impresses with the focus speed, and not too shabby in the sharpness area either. Thanks a bunch!

2. ivoire

ivoire Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2011
    Naperville, IL
    mike
    I can't speak for the 40-150 but i do use the 4/3 14-42 kit lens with the Panasonic Micro 4/3 MMF-1 to m4/3 adapter on my epl5. It does not focus fast enuff to shoot speedy children, dogs or BIF and i would expect the same from the 40-150mm. If you really like the lens it should work as a walk around town lens and the adapter is inexpensive on ebay. As for sharpness, the 14-42mm 4/3 kit lens is quite amazing. It outperforms the Sigma 30mm f2.8 in IQ by a significant amount (at 3.5 and up). I have test pics here if you are interested:

Sigma 30mm vs Oly 4/3 14-42mm @ 30mm - a set on Flickr

3. juangrande

juangrande Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 2, 2012
    COLORADO
    I had the 14-54mkII, the 70-300 and the 50-200 SWD. The 1st focuses almost as good as native, the second pretty good ( longer focal length makes it tougher) and the third like Sh%t. It needs to be able to use cdaf to work well. There's a 14-54 up for sale on the forum for $300. Good price for a lens that is optically equal to the 12-35. A fast zoom also @ 2.8 to 3.5.

4. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    There are two versions of the 40-150 for DSLR's. One is a larger/faster f3.5-4.5 version and the other is f4.0-5.6. The latter has been bundled with an adapter and sold by Olympus.

Multiple versions of the m43 lens also exist, but the differences are only cosmetic.

I own the two older 40-150's and the micro 43 40-150. On my EPM1, the f3.5 model takes two seconds to focus. The f4.0 version takes about a second. The micro43 will focus as fast as the 14-42 II that came with your EPM1. If you're an old timer, then you know these are not sports lens, but will capture a runner with pre-focus, etc.

If you wait for sales, the micro 43 lens often sells as low as $99 in the USA, whereas just the adapter for the 4/3 lens is $110 USD.