1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

4/3 Rumors: "Panasonic discloses details of the first Organic sensor with global shutter"

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by MidasKiss, Feb 3, 2016.

1. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    Sounds promising, but not sure when we'll see it coming to fruition in actual cameras. I hope soon, but expect it to be some time yet...

2. rav

rav Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 28, 2015
    What are the benefits of this sensor in layman's terms for the shooter compared to current sensors in m43 Olympus and Panasonic lineup ?

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. robcee

robcee Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 10, 2016
    Toronto
    Rob Campbell
    global shutter implies no rolling shutter effects when shooting motion like the current range of sensors.

Reading between the lines, it may also suggest greater sensitivity to light and possibly color saturation.

• Like Like x 1
  4. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta
    If properly implement, no need for mechanical shutters, only nice silent electronic shutters. Fewer internal moving parts to wear out or break. That would mean cheaper cameras that may be a little smaller and lighter.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. bikerhiker

bikerhiker Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 24, 2013
    Canada
    David
    This is part of their initiatives to create a viable 8K camera to be ready for the Tokyo Olympics in 2020; hence the date they will make it viable for production. The stills from 8K video is about 33 MP or so. So you see with this high density pixel rate, the organic sensor would be a more appropriate fabrication process than traditional sensors. So in a way, MFT will eventually receive a 30 something megapixel sensor without needing sensor shifting like Oly does. Plus better DR and noise performance due to its organic sensor platform. Save your money for that major upgrade for which I am. In the meantime, I will buy more PRO lenses.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2016
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  6. carlosfm

carlosfm Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 3, 2015
    Lisbon, Portugal
    I think I'll wait for 2025 and buy a used camera for cheap. :biggrin:

• Funny Funny x 2
  7. rav

rav Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 28, 2015
    Does this sensor bring improvements to noise performance ? And if yes how many stops improvements we can expect ?

8. bikerhiker

bikerhiker Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 24, 2013
    Canada
    David
    Ahhhh, I never thought about that! Good plan. :D

9. bikerhiker

bikerhiker Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 24, 2013
    Canada
    David
    The last time I spoke with the rep, he mentioned that it is the next revolution in sensor performance which will catapult the anemic performance of present MFT sensor performance to bring it inline or better than current full frame sensor performance. And they want to make a splash at the Tokyo Olympics; which is again why 2020 is an important time line. Of course, if full frame sensors were to take advantage of the Organic Sensor advantage, then it too will receive an equivalent boost. However, the main beneficiaries of this technology would be for smaller sensors like cell phones and APS-C. Probably the next generation Fuji body will get the new sensor. This is the reason why I don't much care about BSI technology, because Organic is more superior as you could see from the technology presentation. Maybe by 2020, the Panasonic GH6 or the Olympus E-M1 Mark III will possess this sensor.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Carbonman

Carbonman Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 10, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    Graham
    I expect Sony and Samsung are also working on similar technologies, so we may not have to wait for Panasonic's schedule. Sony has about 40% of the sensor market, plus they own a piece of Olympus' camera business, so there may be some surprises coming to us.

11. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    Samsung sounds like they're out of the large sensor business, unless there is a major change coming.

Panasonic is currently partnered with Fuji for the production of the actual organic sensor compound, so I'm not sure that Sony has the capabilities to do that alone. It sounds like Panasonic has been patenting up a storm in this space, it's largely still academic, unfortunately.

Unless of course you're referring to the global shutter part of it, not the organic sensor part. In which case, yes, I imagine Sony and others (probably Canon) have their R&D labs busy with it.

12. heli-mech

heli-mech Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2012
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Andrew
    Not just global shutter, this looks interesting, funny enough I was just mentioning the old FUJI SR sensor and this seems like the same idea just with modern tech.

en160203-5-2.

Fuji SR sensor from S5 pro circa 2007
    SR-001.

13. MidasKiss

MidasKiss Mu-43 Regular

Sep 15, 2015
    Sydney, Australia
    I hope mechanical shutter can be the optional extra thrown in on some cameras, I still love that sound.

I thought everyone knew that 2026 is the year for used cameras... ;)

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. carlosfm

carlosfm Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 3, 2015
    Lisbon, Portugal
    Oh. Wait, is that the year for cheap used cameras with 32k video?
    2026 it is, then. :biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
  15. saladin

saladin Mu-43 Veteran

May 29, 2015
    jason
    Global shutter would allow flash sync at literally all shutter speeds?

16. Gary5

Gary5 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 15, 2014
    Does anyone know how many stops 20% is?

17. MichaelSewell

MichaelSewell Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 1, 2015
    Burnley, UK
    Michael A. Sewell
    I wouldn't necessarily hold my breath for this, although I personally would welcome it.

18. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    1/4 stop. Log2(1.2)

19. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    indeed ... I have used them and they were fantastic. They were mainly appreciated by wedding photographers.

This new feature returns what I haace felt to be missing while everyone wet themselves over more and yet more megapixels.

en160203-5-3.

I think I see a new camera in my life. This may fulfill a long wanted shortcoming of digital that has played a hand in my staying with film

in my view ...: while HDRI is all the rage, I'd like to show a view from the negative
    Digital
    10Dseg.

Film
    filmSeg.

it would be nice to be able to capture a "proper sunset"

12969733443_13a35c90cf_o.

rather than the usual blown out blob.

P1070108~12.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2016