4/3 rumors - OM-D possible hack

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by ralfmouth, Oct 17, 2012.

1. ralfmouth

ralfmouth Mu-43 Regular

Oct 16, 2012
    There is a tentative blog by 4/3 rumors who have been contacted by a hacker with some very promising news about the OM-D's hack-ablity.
    For ppl like me who see great video potential of the OM-D it sounds promising.

first post: :2thumbs:
    • Like Like x 1
  2. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Welcome to the forum! Interesting article - lots of folks want focus peaking, this could be good. :cool:
  3. demiro

demiro Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    Focus peaking and improved video functionality would put the E-M5 over the top for many folks.

I know of the great success the hacking community has had with Panasonic and Canon, but I though Olympus was a bit untouchable. It will be interesting to see how this progresses.
  4. LeoS

LeoS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 6, 2012
    One thing that comes to mind is Olympus' ironclad firmware updating process. They don't let the users handle the firmware at all, you need to use their utility and have the camera connected while it downloads the firmware, updates it and deletes it after the process. This may have something to do with their apparent security...
  5. newbert

newbert Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 22, 2012
    Glens Falls, NY
    "...the OM-D have also a locked focus peaking functionality (beta feature revision probably, they should add on the next firmware revision not sure about it)..."

If true, this would make me very happy! :smile:
  6. shizlefonizle

shizlefonizle Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 21, 2012
    If a hacker starts a Kickstarter for this Ill definitely back him
  7. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    "... I saw that the OM-D have also a locked focus peaking functionality ..."

It's the only Sony Olympus model that doesn't have focus peaking. Time to bring it into the fold. ;)
  8. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Focus peaking would be very welcome...only thing I'd want after that is a solution for 7-14 purple spectres
  9. ralfmouth

ralfmouth Mu-43 Regular

Oct 16, 2012

Yes , if true maybe Olympus did not want to compete with the Gh3 before its release and locked some functions?
  10. Hyubie

Hyubie Unique like everyone else

Oct 15, 2010
    Focus peaking: goodbye Nex, all-in on :43: :smile:
  11. tanglewood

tanglewood Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 11, 2012

Focus Peaking unlocked on the OM-D will probably stop me from going all-in on the NEX.

12. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    1080p120 sounds pretty unbelievable, but if it's possible, why not! Focus peaking would definitely be a nice addition as well.

The main thing I want is better 4/3 AF though. That may be a little harder to hack in though!
  13. ralfmouth

ralfmouth Mu-43 Regular

Oct 16, 2012
    I bet it can be done... The tiny GOpro Hero 3 "black edition" does 4k 1080p 60 i believe. Its only $400.
  14. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    Eh, I doubt it. I could circumvent that and this is not even my line of work. The actual hacker appears to have gotten the firmware via a simple python script, not really the pinnacle of sophistication.

That said, I don't think it's worth holding our breath for too much. Most of the interesting changes (24p, high bitrates, etc) probably have to be done at the ASIC. Enabling a beta peaking mode would be excellent, but it does beg the question of why Olympus chose not to make it available.
  15. Chronos

Chronos Mu-43 Regular

Oct 18, 2012
    it already of sort of runs a 120 frame rate in the viewfinder does it not?
  16. (G)

(G) Mu-43 Regular

Jul 5, 2012
    Exactly. If it was stable or reliable, they'd have released it in a second.
  17. newbert

newbert Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 22, 2012
    Glens Falls, NY
    ....unless they're holding back on it to release it only with a new upgraded body. Marketing it as "new" feature. Why upgrade it on the OM-D when they could use it as a selling point for a new body?
  18. Chronos

Chronos Mu-43 Regular

Oct 18, 2012
    I doubt that.

If the OMD is capable of reliable 1080P at 120FPS with uncomopressed HDMI and such, why hold it back? They could put it out there and snag up a nice large chunk of Canons foothold of the DSLR video market.

OR, they could hold it as a reason to upgrade to the next OMD in a year or two, hoping that nobody else jumps in and steals thier opportunity.

There is far far far more money to be made by releasing it. They can entice people to upgrade to the next OMD with 12FPS with solid focus tracking, adding other things like focus peaking, increased battery life, better EFV, better sensor, etc etc. Not to mention they would sell hundreds of thousands more units to people who will also be buying accessories, lenses, and looking forward to the next OMD.

It would be a very stupid move to NOT put this feature out there if it worked reliably.
  19. DenisT

DenisT New to Mu-43

Oct 5, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    The problem in in recording it. 120FPS produces 2,000 GB/hour uncompressed. 30FPS = 500GB/hour uncompressed.
  20. st3v4nt

st3v4nt Mu-43 Veteran

May 26, 2011
    Jakarta, Indonesia
    Probably under the agreement with third party who supplied OM-D component Olympus agree not to unlock said feature or threaten not given new sensor :)