4/3 Panasonic Leica 25mm f1.4 AF relative performance on EM-1

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by saperi, Feb 28, 2015.

1. saperi

saperi New to Mu-43

Oct 28, 2014
    I have been browsing this forum for some time now (lots of useful info and friendly people), but this is my first post.

Started my photography quest with the excellent Oly E-1, which I still have and use (but not so frequently now). Currently I also have Pana G5 and Oly EP5.
    The autofocus performance of the 4/3 PL 25mm f1.4 lens (which is CDAF enabled) although not on par with micro 4/3 lenses that I have, is relatively ok and definitely much better than my Oly 14-54 mk1.

How much AF speed improvement, if any, should I expect on Oly EM1? Anybody that has tried this lens-camera combination? Perhaps others that use Oly 14-54 mkii with EM1 can help.

Basically, I am trying to decide whether its worth switching to EM1 (prices are still quite high) or perhaps try to sell the 4/3 PL25 version and get the m4/3 one. Some reviews that I seem to remember suggest that there will be a slight loss of image quality in return of faster AF (very important with 2 kids, 3 & 6 years old, running around) and improved portability.

2. mrkva1

mrkva1 Mu-43 Regular

Oct 23, 2012
    Croatia, Europe
    No, thanks
    I tried both but not on the EM1.
    The m4/3 is smaller and definitely faster to focus. The down side is that there is some CA in high contrast areas when the lens is wide open.
  3. edmsnap

edmsnap Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 20, 2011
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Since the 4/3 25/1.4 is compatible with CDAF, you don't need the E-M1 to use it effectively. Any ยต4/3 camera will do.
  4. saperi

saperi New to Mu-43

Oct 28, 2014
    Thanks for your input. Indeed I am using the 4/3 PL25 lens on both G5 and EP5 and I get very good results. I would expect though, the AF speed of this lens to be improved on EM1 but never got the chance to test it!