4/3 Panasonic Leica 25mm f1.4 AF relative performance on EM-1

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by saperi, Feb 28, 2015.

1. saperi

saperi New to Mu-43

Oct 28, 2014
    Cyprus
    I have been browsing this forum for some time now (lots of useful info and friendly people), but this is my first post.

Started my photography quest with the excellent Oly E-1, which I still have and use (but not so frequently now). Currently I also have Pana G5 and Oly EP5.
    The autofocus performance of the 4/3 PL 25mm f1.4 lens (which is CDAF enabled) although not on par with micro 4/3 lenses that I have, is relatively ok and definitely much better than my Oly 14-54 mk1.

How much AF speed improvement, if any, should I expect on Oly EM1? Anybody that has tried this lens-camera combination? Perhaps others that use Oly 14-54 mkii with EM1 can help.

Basically, I am trying to decide whether its worth switching to EM1 (prices are still quite high) or perhaps try to sell the 4/3 PL25 version and get the m4/3 one. Some reviews that I seem to remember suggest that there will be a slight loss of image quality in return of faster AF (very important with 2 kids, 3 & 6 years old, running around) and improved portability.

Thanks

2. mrkva1

mrkva1 Mu-43 Regular

Oct 23, 2012
    Croatia, Europe
    No, thanks
    I tried both but not on the EM1.
    The m4/3 is smaller and definitely faster to focus. The down side is that there is some CA in high contrast areas when the lens is wide open.

3. edmsnap

edmsnap Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 20, 2011
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Since the 4/3 25/1.4 is compatible with CDAF, you don't need the E-M1 to use it effectively. Any µ4/3 camera will do.

4. saperi

saperi New to Mu-43

Oct 28, 2014
    Cyprus
    Thanks for your input. Indeed I am using the 4/3 PL25 lens on both G5 and EP5 and I get very good results. I would expect though, the AF speed of this lens to be improved on EM1 but never got the chance to test it!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.