1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

4/3 Olympus ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 8mm F3.5?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by ArchSaturn, Jun 3, 2013.

1. ArchSaturn

ArchSaturn Mu-43 Rookie

May 23, 2012
    Anyone with experience with the 4/3 Olympus 8mm fisheye?

Any reason to consider one over the Samyang 7.5mm? I do have the MMF-3 already, so in theory should get some slow autofocus... but it's like 3x the size and weight.

One available locally at reasonable, but not instant-buy price.

2. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    The build quality and weather-sealing is nice. Optically, it's fairly good, but tends to have a lot of CA. Still, unless the price is really low or you must have AF, I don't see the point. The Samyang is at least as good optically, and the Panasonic 8/3.5 has good AF albeit at a steeper cost. Either of those 2 lenses are drastically smaller and lighter too.

3. YouDidntDidYou

YouDidntDidYou Mu-43 Regular

Feb 18, 2012
    Teesside
    yes have

Yes I've tested it on the E-M5 last year and it's focus is reasonable, I would expect it to be very fast in the O-MD Pro. My 8mm on flickr fish eye this - a set on Flickr

4. YouDidntDidYou

Feb 18, 2012
    Teesside
    I have the Panasonic 8mm and the Olympus 8mm, the Panny fisheye can be too light with GH and E-M bodies also the Panny can misbehave in awkward white balance situations.

5. YouDidntDidYou

Feb 18, 2012
    Teesside
    I have the Panasonic 8mm and the Olympus 8mm, the Panny fisheye can be too light with GH and E-M bodies also the Panny can misbehave in awkward white balance situations.

6. ArchSaturn

ArchSaturn Mu-43 Rookie

May 23, 2012
    Thanks for the replies. Somewhat what I expected, but figured I'd better make sure. Guess I'm still trying to justify the MMF-3 just sitting in a drawer (free accessory with the OM-D deal), should have got the flash instead.

Was surprised that there isn't a gallery for this lens in the sub-forum. Guess not too many of them out there.

7. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Fisheyes are a specialty item. 4/3 doubly so. There're also some samples on pbase (mostly from 4/3, not m4/3).

8. DoofClenas

DoofClenas Who needs a Mirror!

Nov 9, 2012
    Traverse City, MI
    Clint
    I've use it (8mm) and the ZD 7-14mm on my epm2...although not very extensively. They both work, focusing can be a bit awkward with both, but it works. I still much prefer to use them on my E-5...and that's the reason I haven't fully switched over.

9. ArchSaturn

ArchSaturn Mu-43 Rookie

May 23, 2012
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure what I really want is the 7-14, just cant really afford it (or want to deal with the purple flare on EM-5). Looked at the 9-18, but it completely failed the price/feel test (I love the 40-150, but wouldn't have spent 9-18 money on it). I'll either end up with the Samyang, or just do panoramas with the 12 end of the 12-50.

10. DoofClenas

Nov 9, 2012
    Traverse City, MI
    Clint
    mmm...7-14 @ 10mm on EPM2..:thumbup:
    P3170027-20130317-X2.

11. DoofClenas

Nov 9, 2012
    Traverse City, MI
    Clint
    Fixed the image link...

12. ArchSaturn

ArchSaturn Mu-43 Rookie

May 23, 2012
    Yeah... just need to find someone who needs to sell their 7-14 really badly.

13. ArchSaturn

ArchSaturn Mu-43 Rookie

May 23, 2012
    Doesn't help that the 7-14 is the one m4/3 lens in which there is a significant difference between the US price and the CDN price... seriously $1200...