1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

4/3 Olympus 25/2.8?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by wlewisiii, Jan 5, 2012.

1. wlewisiii

wlewisiii Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 16, 2011
    Hayward, WI
    William Barnett-Lewis
    Has anyone used this on :43: ? While not as fast as the Panasonic 20 (much less the PL 1.4 ;) ) it is also cheaper. OTOH, there is need for a MMF-1 or MMF-2 4/3->:43: adaptor. I'm an old normal prime shooter. 90% of my photographs have probably been taken with a normal prime - 50mm on 35, 75mm on 6x6, etc. This lens looks interesting to me as a result.

I've searched but my google-fu is quite weak here and I get almost as many "not found" results as when I tried to research a VF-3.

Thanks!

2. I was doing some research on this lens just the other day when I saw one being offerred cheaply on eBay, and read through a few reviews and searched through a whole bunch of sample images. It's compactness (negated mostly by the adapter on a Micro 4/3 camera), the fact that it is a prime lens (with all the uber-coolness that this implies), and being about 1 stop faster at the same focal length were the only reasons I could find to use it over a (cheaper) kit zoom set at 25mm. The fact that I already have the 20/1.7 lens put the decision for me not to buy it beyond doubt. I'm sure that the 25/2.8 is capable of taking some fabulous images, and I certainly found some searching through flickr, but you can say the same thing about a lot of lenses.

• Like Like x 1
  3. wlewisiii

wlewisiii Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 16, 2011
    Hayward, WI
    William Barnett-Lewis
    Thanks, that's helpful information. I'm thinking I'll probably just hit KEH for a Nikkor 24/2.8 Pre-AI for the near term as I can use it on my F2 or the Oly. Down the road I can look for either the 20/1.7 or the 25/1.4.

For all the complaining, the kit lens isn't that bad, but then I can remember the really bad old ones... :eek:

4. Markb

Markb Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 9, 2011
    Kent, UK
    Mark
    Some of us can remember when those sought after legacy 50s were the kit lenses :smile:

The 20/1.7 is a cracker. If you want a cheaper native lens, the 17/2.8 is pretty good too if you can handle 35 equivalent.

• Like Like x 1
  5. wlewisiii

wlewisiii Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 16, 2011
    Hayward, WI
    William Barnett-Lewis
    Good points. I don't mind 35mm, just always preferred 50 or there abouts. That 17 would be a nice thing to save my spare change towards. That and a LTM->:43: adaptor so I can use the 1949 50/2 Summitar from my Leica IIIf :cool:

And yeah, I remember those too. The first camera I bought new was an AE-1 at the PX in 1983 and that 50/1.8 taught me almost as much as the wet darkroom at the rec center.

6. Markb

Markb Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 9, 2011
    Kent, UK
    Mark
    Mmm, Summitar :2thumbs:

• Like Like x 1
  7. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    If you really must have the 50mm look, it's an okay lens. But the Panasonic 20/1.7 is a much better lens - faster, smaller, sharper, etc. And factoring in the cost of the adapter, it's no more expensive.

As to the VF3, what do you want to know? It's definitely smaller and less detailed than the VF2. Here you don't save much on the VF3 (maybe $30), so I'd go for the VF2, unless you find an outstanding deal on the VF3 and don't care particularly about size/details.

DH

8. wlewisiii

wlewisiii Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 16, 2011
    Hayward, WI
    William Barnett-Lewis
    I picked up the VF-3 from Amazon for $150 and even that was stretching it. The VF-2 may well be better but this one is still good enough for me, especially when doing square monotone. Anything is better than chimping every shot. I suppose I could take the dark cloth from my 4x5 and drape it over my head before every shot instead :eek: Nah, I'll use theVF-3 instead :biggrin: