1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

4/3 Oly 40-150mm to MMF-2 mini-review

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Djarum, May 24, 2010.

1. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    I got the bundle which includes the lens and adapter in one kit on Friday. It comes with lens caps for both the lens and the adapter, which is nice. It also comes with a lens hood for the 40-150mm. A few thoughts on the lens/adapter combo on the EP1:

Ergonomics:

I was really afraid that the lens + adapter would put too much weight toward the front of the camera. However, I was pleasantly suprised to find I liked this arrangement ergonomically better than I do the collapsable kit lens attached.

Mechanical:

The zoom ring is very smooth, much smoother than the kit lens for the EP1. The focus ring is also smooth. I also like the fact it internally focuses so polarizers and other filters can be attached without problems.

Focusing:

This is where problem start to arise. In good lighting, 8/10 times the camera focuses dead on. For the other times, the camera either cannot lock to focus or locks to focus, however, the focus is completly incorrect. This is using center area focus. In good lighting, the focus operation seems as quick as the kit lens.

In poor lighting, the focusing is really slow. This is the first time I've ever had issues with the focus speed with the EP1. When it does focus, it is a mixed bag.

IS:

I was expecting better. On my old panny FZ3, I could zoom to 420mm(35mm eq) and get sharp results at 1/80s and at times, 1/60s shutter speed. I had to keep the shutter speed above 1/150s at 300mm(35mm eq). I'm not sure if this is an IS issue or my inhability to stabize the camera. I tried bracing myself against a wall to see if results improved, however, they didn't.

Image Quality:

When the focus is right and there is no camera shake, the lens is suprising sharper than my expectations. The lens also seems to have pretty good contrast.

Overall conclusion:

I think the lens will meet my needs. I think the only real issue for me is the focusing speed in poor lighting. I'm not sure if the panny 45-200 is any better on the EP1, but it is also 125 dollars more. For me, this is a stop gap until a dedicated OLY version of this lens comes available or the 14-150 has been proven to be a good lens, and the price also comes down.

The small size of the lens and light weight really are a good match for the EP1

• Like Like x 1
  2. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    Well, since no one has commented, I'll bump with a few pictures.

150mm @ f5.6
    flower1.JPG

150mm @ 5.6(should have been set to f8, but I have a clumsy thumb)
    bird11.JPG

150 @ f8 and my favorite. This bird was hard to capture. Black feathers and some irredecense made it difficult.
    bird21.JPG

The first two images were straight out of the camera. The last one was cropped about 50 percent to get rid of some wasted space. This picture was taken the farthest away.

• Like Like x 3
  3. GaryInOz

GaryInOz Mu-43 Regular

May 11, 2010
    Sydney, Oz
    I went out with my new 40-150 + MMF-2 last weekend, and enjoyed the experience.

By the way, have you checked the firmware level in your 40-150? I updated mine as soon as I received it, as it was version 1.0 The latest version is 1.3. This might help :thumbup:

4. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    Yes, mine came with version 1.3. I've heard that there are still some shipping with old firmware.

5. jbart

jbart Mu-43 Regular

Jun 1, 2010
    Ottawa
    Does anyone have a link to this kit 40-150mm + MMF-2 in stock? I cant find any locally or online (US, Canada). I think this would cover my needs cheaper than the 45-200 panasonic and the 14-140 Olympus mZuiko coming soon ($650 CAD).

6. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    I also have the combo kit w/adaptor. Have the same issues as Djarum but I'm overall satisfyed with this lens.

Now I need the 70-300.:wink:

7. weezyfeezy

weezyfeezy Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 21, 2010
    Djarum -

Just wanted to say thanks for your write-up. It's one of the only ones online specific to the ep's and after playing with the lens for a couple weeks, I think it's pretty accurate. I frequently find myself using the included lens hood and have had great results using it for outdoor portraits. Instant professional photos!

jbart-

I took the plunge a couple weeks ago and bought the package via ebay to get 8% Bing Cashback. I'm sure you can still find it for a good price with delivery to CA.

8. Christilou

Christilou Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 25, 2010
    Camberley, Surrey
    Hello Djarum, I am also using this lens and it feels "right" on the camera. I have the 45 -200 Lumix but I have found that trying to focus, particularly on bright roses on green, leafy background just too time consuming. I have had to completely give up on occasion. The hunting is just ridiculous:frown: As for the focus problems with the Zuiko, well I have to say that the Zuiko 70 -300 mm also does this. It will confirm focus even when it quite obviously is NOT in focus! Overall though, it too is better than the 45 -200 I feel for my purpose. Thanks for posting your findings.

9. jbart

jbart Mu-43 Regular

Jun 1, 2010
    Ottawa
    found it and the adapter in stock!!!

I just wanted to say that I managed to find it locally at Future Shop, the last place I thought I would buy any camera stuff beyond a point and shoot or a memory card. I found both the 40-150mm in stock and the MMF-2 Adapter. No sales or deals on the bundle, but they do price match so I found the lens for $99 online and brought in the Ad and the web link and they price matched it to $89!!! I paid full price for the adapter, but no shipping, waiting or guessing and I had it for the long weekend. I am not expert photographer so it will take some practice with 150mm but I love standing back from the kids and taking their pictures while they play.

Can any suggest any other 4/3 lenses that are "cheap"? I think the Manual lenses will have to wait until I can find a View Finder to help focus.

Attached Files:

10. Bokeh Diem

Bokeh Diem Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 14, 2010
    Toronto
    Yep, Ottawa all right.

I noticed that the ability to resolve colour and detail in very high contrast situations seems to work well with that camera/lens combo.... nicely exposed on the first frame.

Bokeh D

11. et100

et100 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 15, 2010
    Chicago area - USA
    I like the 40-150 lens too on m4/3.
    I can suggest 70-300 as a cheap tele (bought mine new for ~220), focusing may not be as fast especially at 300 but you can use the lens for macro too.