1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

4/3 Lenses - Review as they're getting REALLY CHEAP - stockpile time

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Psynema, Feb 4, 2015.

1. Psynema

Psynema Mu-43 Regular

May 14, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Gary Hanna
    [video=youtube;7LhOs5R7hRI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LhOs5R7hRI[/video]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LhOs5R7hRI

Throwback review I did for the 14-54mm Oly 2.8-3.5 ($98 dollars on ebay...WOW) and Sigma 30mm 1.4 (about 1/3 it's price on ebay used).

I may do the 50mm Macro F2 or 14-35 f2 if I get a chance since the latter is actually affordable now LOL.

• Like Like x 5
  2. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    Thanks for this.

I've always been interested in the 14-54, and wonder how it compares optically to the 12-35 Panasonic. Obviously, I guess the main things I'd be giving up would be the size/weight, AF speed, and OIS, but presumably the FL information would be transferred so the IBIS in my GX7 would work. The $600 difference (when you add the adapter) makes up for a lot of shortcomings, though!

Then again, the other lens it ends up competing with for me is the 12-32mm pancake. Sure it's not as fast, but 2.8-3.5 isn't fast enough for low-light situations anyway, and the 12-32 has size and width on its side...

Decisions, decisions!

3. Levster

Levster Mu-43 Top Veteran

The F2 macro is very appealing. I don't own an EM-1 anymore so autofocus will be poor, but for macro that isn't really an issue!

4. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    Is the 50/f2 considered to be a lot optically better than the 60mm/2.8? I know it's a stop faster, but for macro the longer FL of the 60mm is really useful, and the fact that it goes to 1:1 natively and has a built-in focus limiter are pretty nice. The 50mm/f2 still goes for about $300, and I feel like the 60mm regularly shows up in the refurbished store for $399, so the price difference isn't even that much. Especially if you don't already have the 4/3 adapter.

5. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 6, 2013
    Philly
    Steve
    The 50mm F2 was my favorite lens on 4/3rds. Was just stunning. But honestly the 60mm is on par at least. Lighter, smaller (longer but thinner) focuses way way faster, quieter and has a focus limiter. I had a hard time parting with the 50, but I can't say I miss it that much. The 45, 75, 60 all are as good or better without the drawbacks. I've had at least 4 14-54 lenses. and got my last one for $80 on ebay. Still a great lens and a bargain, but rather heavy and large for M43...but if you can't afford a 12-40 it's a great alternative.

6. griswoldo

griswoldo Mu-43 Regular

Sep 27, 2011
    Another super cheap 4/3 option is the Olympus 40-150 f/3.5-4.5. You can find a good copy for between $50-70 on ebay. If you can live with the external focusing (the front element turns as it focuses, and is quite audible) and the long minimum focusing distance (4.9 feet!), then this lens is a steal. I've been getting great results with mine on the EM-1!

7. Psynema

Psynema Mu-43 Regular

May 14, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Gary Hanna
    Actually it's $200 on ebay used...plus I need the extra stop os a video guy so it would be a nice low light prime that can do Macro as well.

8. Psynema

Psynema Mu-43 Regular

May 14, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Gary Hanna
    The Panny is better if you have the money by all means get that instead...that being said if you already have the panny, it's still not a bad deal for $100 to get something with longer reach and Quasi Macro. Especially now that the EM5 mII has stabilization in body good enough for video. The Oly is def. sharper IMO, but focusing can be a chore with the ring and lack of C-AF that the panny has.