1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

4/3 Lenses and E-M1

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by OzRay, Feb 13, 2014.

1. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    I’ve just completed some rough tests of all of my 4/3 lenses with the MMF-3 on the E-M1 and all I can say is that they auto-focus as fast, if not faster than with the E5. I did tests both indoors under artificial light and outdoors under natural light, and I get the same results. I was most doubtful of the 35-100mm, because it has the older style motor, but focus speed and accuracy was excellent.

I had some reservations because of various reports that I’ve read, but not anymore. So if anyone has 4/3 lenses and have been contemplating an E-M1 for its potential ability to focus better with these lenses than existing m4/3 cameras, but has had doubts, doubt no more.

• Like Like x 4
  2. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    That is reassuring to know. I use both the 50-200 SWD and 150/2.0 on my E-M1 extensively, and find AF speed outdoors under natural light to be fast enough although I don't have the luxury to compare it with an E5. I did have a chance to test the 150/2.0 at the camera shop with the E-M1 and E5, and found the E5 to lock focus slightly faster than the E-M1 (on firmware 1.0 at the time), and with more confidence (while the E-M1 seemed to take a split second searching for the target before locking focus). Maybe the firmware update did the trick?

I did notice C-AF to have improved after the firmware update. I am now able to do focus tracking on my daughter riding a bicycle with reasonable success when it used to hunt or focus in the background a lot... Then, again, maybe it's all in my imagination, as there is no way to do a side-by-side comparison now between the two firmware versions!

3. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    I'd say what makes a huge difference is the fact that the f2-f2.8 max aperture of the lenses, my 18-180mm is a bit slower to focus, but then that was the case with the e5 as well. I haven't tried CAF and don't expect magic results, as Olympus has never excelled in this regard.

4. beameup

beameup Mu-43 Regular

Oct 23, 2013
    I was out last evening shooting 30 second and then 60 second exposures with the E-M1 and 14-54mm II lens and had absolutely no problem auto-focusing (virtually instantaneous)

After that, I had to switch to "live time" and did a 4 minute exposure by moonlight. I just manually focused on infinity. Easy peasy.

5. MarkoPolo

MarkoPolo Mu-43 Regular

Jan 25, 2014
    Greeley, CO
    Mark Brown
    Also glad to hear this as I have the 50-200 SWD in transit (blizzard delayed:smile:). I can't wait to finally use this new combo!

6. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    The 50-200mm SWD should focus very well, considering how fast my non-SWD lenses focus.