4/3 Lenses and E-M1

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by OzRay, Feb 13, 2014.

1. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    I’ve just completed some rough tests of all of my 4/3 lenses with the MMF-3 on the E-M1 and all I can say is that they auto-focus as fast, if not faster than with the E5. I did tests both indoors under artificial light and outdoors under natural light, and I get the same results. I was most doubtful of the 35-100mm, because it has the older style motor, but focus speed and accuracy was excellent.

I had some reservations because of various reports that I’ve read, but not anymore. So if anyone has 4/3 lenses and have been contemplating an E-M1 for its potential ability to focus better with these lenses than existing m4/3 cameras, but has had doubts, doubt no more.

• Like Like x 4
  2. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    That is reassuring to know. I use both the 50-200 SWD and 150/2.0 on my E-M1 extensively, and find AF speed outdoors under natural light to be fast enough although I don't have the luxury to compare it with an E5. I did have a chance to test the 150/2.0 at the camera shop with the E-M1 and E5, and found the E5 to lock focus slightly faster than the E-M1 (on firmware 1.0 at the time), and with more confidence (while the E-M1 seemed to take a split second searching for the target before locking focus). Maybe the firmware update did the trick?

I did notice C-AF to have improved after the firmware update. I am now able to do focus tracking on my daughter riding a bicycle with reasonable success when it used to hunt or focus in the background a lot... Then, again, maybe it's all in my imagination, as there is no way to do a side-by-side comparison now between the two firmware versions!

3. OzRay

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    I'd say what makes a huge difference is the fact that the f2-f2.8 max aperture of the lenses, my 18-180mm is a bit slower to focus, but then that was the case with the e5 as well. I haven't tried CAF and don't expect magic results, as Olympus has never excelled in this regard.

4. beameup

beameup Mu-43 Regular

Oct 23, 2013
    I was out last evening shooting 30 second and then 60 second exposures with the E-M1 and 14-54mm II lens and had absolutely no problem auto-focusing (virtually instantaneous)

After that, I had to switch to "live time" and did a 4 minute exposure by moonlight. I just manually focused on infinity. Easy peasy.

5. MarkoPolo

MarkoPolo Mu-43 Regular

Jan 25, 2014
    Greeley, CO
    Mark Brown
    Also glad to hear this as I have the 50-200 SWD in transit (blizzard delayed:smile:). I can't wait to finally use this new combo!

6. OzRay

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    The 50-200mm SWD should focus very well, considering how fast my non-SWD lenses focus.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.