1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

4/3 Lens Galleries

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by stripedrex, Aug 25, 2013.

1. stripedrex

stripedrex Do or do not. There is no try.

Jun 8, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Alex
    I have high hopes the EM-1 comes to us with much better video than on previous Olympus bodies. If so, that plus the possibilities of using 4/3 glass like it's native (fast phase detection a/f) gets me excited especially after seeing the kind of quality and character coming out of their older lenses. I'm thinking of keeping my GX1 and eventually going GX7 for light weight duty (maybe just keep a 20mm and the new 14-140) and for high qaulity shooting + video I won't might the extra weight of the new EM1 + bigger 4/3 lenses especially with outputs like these (First 2 or 3 below would be my (big) kit for EM-1, PLEASE good video on it =p):

Olympus 14-35 F2.0 (This may let me toss all my other primes)
    Flickriver

Olympus 50-200 F2.8-3.5 (A lot of reach + fast)
    Flickriver: Photos taken with Olympus Zuiko Digital 50-200mm f2.8/3.5 lens

Olympus 14-54 F2.8-3.5 (Versatile)
    Flickriver: Photos taken with Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm f2.8/3.5 lens

Olympus 35-100 F2.0 (Too big for me but quality is outstanding)
    Flickriver: Photos taken with Olympus Zuiko Digital 35-100mm f2.0 PRO ED lens

And many others!
    Olympus Lenses: Most Popular, Prime, Zoom etc. - Flickriver Lens Explorer

Database of 4/3 lenses and stats:
    Four Thirds | Four Thirds | Products(Lenses)

Too bad flickriver didn't make a Panasonic listing of lenses =(. I figured I'd share this finding since not sure a lot of folks here are too familiar (like myself) with the 4/3 world and what the forthcoming EM-1 potentially brings to the table.

2. stripedrex

Jun 8, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Alex
  3. MAubrey

MAubrey Photographer

Jul 9, 2012
    Bellingham, WA
    Mike Aubrey
    Maybe try pixel-peeper.com instead:

Panasonic Lenses on Pixel-Peeper

4. stripedrex

Jun 8, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Alex
  5. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    I'm also going the same way: 4/3 lenses on m4/3 - M1 - hopefully. For high quality package at a reasonable price - I'm referring to the lenses.:biggrin:

6. stripedrex

Jun 8, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Alex
    I have a Olympus 14-35 f2 + adapter from ebay on the way, I couldn't wait =p. Going to see how the image quality is like on the OMD for now and I can always sell (hopefully for a profit) if it's not what I'm looking for. Basically looking to see weight and quality hoping it's not too large. I figure with the grip I shouldn't be too far off from M1 'feel' maybe + spare battery to see if it's too lens heavy. Only thing I won't expect is focus to be fast until the M1. I'll report back my findings.

7. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    Those are fantastic images. However, I haven't seen any on there that you couldn't achieve with a native m4/3 lens. Am I missing something here? I just assumed the E-M1's ability to focus 4/3 lenses was to appease existing owners.

However I'll reserve judgment until the camera is released.

8. stripedrex

Jun 8, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Alex
    As much as I'm enjoying having all these primes the constant switching of lenses is getting old fast for me man. The current m43 2.8 zooms is good but for some available light situations I'm in but the 4/3 f2 zoom covers more. I get decent results with flash but I take a lot of pix with folks around and flash firing all over the place is just annoying and also don't always like the look of artificial lighting. I'm finding I only mind the size of my kit when I'm out and about where I don't need the faster glass as much. So indoors I'm probably good with a dslr which is why I'm really excited about sigma's latest release 1.8 zoom lens for aps-c but the 4/3 14-35 f2 is about the same size and performance which is why I'm looking. I'm also a hybrid shooter (I like doing video + pix) and hoping m1 + 4/3 lens + phase detection = sweet autofocusing or touch focusing in vids. Shooting video + pix also forces me to switch lenses constantly which makes me frustrated, missing shots, dropping lens caps, missing moments (being involved with the people i'm shooting), etc. I need to find balance being with friends and family and shooting (I tend to shoot too many pix which I have a feeling others will relate to =p).

If you look at the list of fast zooms and prime tele lenses like the 300 f2.8 or 150 f2 4/3 lenses fill some gaps. I notice you get great success using a lot of adapted lenses maybe I need to try that as well?

9. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    Thanks Alex that explains a lot.

10. Edmunds

Edmunds Mu-43 Regular

Oct 16, 2012
    You do know, that the 4/3 SHG lenses were all the same size and weight of their full frame f/2.8 equivalents? (they were also priced the same!)

That's the whole reason the Olympus 4/3 line with its SHG lenses failed and was discontinued, because the 4/3 sensor was 2 stops worse as far as high ISO and digital range goes, but the lenses could only compensate 1 stop.

If you're thinking of carrying around the 1650g Olympus 35-100 f/2, you might as well carry a full frame body and a 70-200 f/2.8 and get even less depth of field, better high ISO, better DR. I've owned a SHG lens, and sold it precisely for that reason. If m4/3 fails at being small... what's the point of using m4/3?

The only lenses that make sense are the telephoto options, due to the 2x crop factor, but even then, a 3,3kg lens on an E-M1 sized body? Not sure if that works.

11. stripedrex

Jun 8, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Alex
    I think only that lens and other prime teles is the case and I agree that those are WAY too big. For me the lens I have my eye on the most is the APS-C sized Sigma 18-35 F1.8. That's an 800g lens and it's currently slated for Nikon, Canon, and Sony mirrored cameras. The EM1 is most attractive to me for the Olympus 14-35 F2 which is also 800g and the full frame equiv 28-70 F2.8 is HUGE in comparison.

Reason I'm looking at these wide aperture normal zooms is because I notice 90% of my shooting is indoors with 3 primes (20 (or 17), 25, and 45. Weight is less important to me indoors so I'm hoping the 14-35 F2 allows me to ditch these primes (F2.8 doesn't give me enough speed or dof, I need fast shutter speed and I'm a rapid candid shooter and don't want to flash firing constantly so please don't mention get a flash). Current pet peeve is the constant lens switching, I'll sacrifice some weight for it. I will say right now the OMD + Grip still doesn't feel balanced with the 14-35 F2 so I don't have high hopes the EM1 will feel much better =(. I'm also a hybrid shooter, kind of off topic but also excited to see EM1's video with phase detection. To me phase detection focus + f2 zoom would make a sick combo if it handles like the new 70d phase detection in video.

12. MAubrey

MAubrey Photographer

Jul 9, 2012
    Bellingham, WA
    Mike Aubrey
    Lenses that make sense...hmmm...I guess I see things differently than you do...

I'd rather have the option of a large f2 telephoto 35-100mm with legendary image quality or a super compact f/2.8 telephoto 35-100mm in the same system. What other system has both of those two options?

It's all about choices. The 35-100mm f/2 is the 4/3 version of the fast 2.8 zoom (albeit with one stop more DOF) and the 35-100mm f/2.8 is the 4/3 version of the slower, but more compact fast f/4 zoom (again with one stop more DOF, but also significantly smaller). Believe it or not, there are people who would only buy the f/4 zooms for Canikon and there are people who would only buy the f/2.8 zooms. There are also people who would buy both--a much smaller group, no doubt, but it certainly exists because they want the options. I want the options too, but I want them in this system not a different system.

13. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy

I agree with you. My 50-200 MK1 is on its way.

14. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    Also the 12-60 will soon be on the way.

15. Edmunds

Edmunds Mu-43 Regular

Oct 16, 2012
    The Olympus 14-35mm f/2.0 actually weighs exactly 900 grams.

The "HUGE" full frame Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8 L II weighs 804 grams.

Righto...

I have owned and used both of these lenses. They embody the whole reason why I made the switch to mirrorless, especially the 1kg 50-200mm, which almost never left my house.

16. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    What works for you doesn't mean works for others. You made your choice and it's ok, I made mine and it's ok too. I don't see where the problem is.

When I need it I'll take mine out either on m4/3 or 4/3 bodies and thats ok for me.:smile:

17. Edmunds

Edmunds Mu-43 Regular

Oct 16, 2012
    If you don't want to discuss the choices we make, why be on this forum? The adapted lenses forum is for people who discuss whether a lens is a good choice or not, not to pat each other on the back for buying stuff.

So I'm not allowed to throw in my opinion just because I have used the 4/3 format lenses for 100,000+ shots and found them to be inadequate?

How long have you used the 12-60 to post opinions about it? It used to be my main lens, and I know quite well the issues with it.

18. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    You have to read better. I'm not saying you cannot discuss the choices. Iìm saying that you made your choice based on your experience. And from what you're writing that weight is one of your main issues, for me its not: so whats the problem? Who is saying you cannot write your opinion? But I'm saying mine so I think you need to cool a bit.
    You know the issues with the 12-60 and Iìm glad to hear your opinion about that and I'll take in consideration what you're saying but I don't think this means I cannot buy and try one myself or that the 12-60, with it's issues is not a lens suited for me.

If the 4/3 lenses are indeguate for you it doesn't mean they are inadeguate for me or someone else, or not? I'm not questioning your experience, it's your's but someome may have a different one.

19. Edmunds

Edmunds Mu-43 Regular

Oct 16, 2012
    I agree that my post was too aggressive. Sorry about that.

20. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    Not a problem about that. Sometimes it happens:biggrin: