1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

4:3 Aspect Ratio Printing Question

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by Blue Cube Imaging, Sep 12, 2011.

1. Blue Cube Imaging

Blue Cube Imaging Mu-43 Regular

Nov 29, 2010
    Southern Oregon, USA
    Mu-43 users, I am doing a little research about an expanded line of product for my lab and would like to know what the interest in actual 4:3 aspect ratio printing is.

My preference is to print in the native aspect ratio of any given system. For 4/3 that means 4.5x6", 6x8", 9x12", 12x16", 15x20", 18x24", etc.

Would you like to be able to easily get prints in your systems native aspect? Or do you crop to "standard" sizes?

Thanks in advance for your input.

2. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    I rarely think of prints, but I do compose for me screen. So if I were to get prints made and they were offered in the proper aspect ratio, I would be more likely to use your lab. Sometimes I can crop to a more common aspect ration, but sometimes, the photo is done and any crop will change it.

I think it can only bring in more business, but I don't know what the costs associated with it would be.

3. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    I shoot 4x3 because that covers the most of the sensor. But I crop to fit the composition of the picture. Sometimes square, sometimes 2x3, sometimes even 16x9. It depends. I use Mpix for prints the few times a year I get prints, and they can do just about any size.

4. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I crop to standard sizes. With Four-Thirds the loss is very slim, unlike APS-C or Full Frame. Nothing wrong with getting a 9x11" print for a portfolio book, out of a 9x12" image.

5. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    I tend to crop for printing,though the aspect ratio is neutral enough that it seems not to be too big of a loss no matter what size you're adjusting it for.

6. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Hard to find frames in 4:3 sizes, so I usually crop to "normal" sizes - 5x7, 8x10, etc

7. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    +1

Life doesn't always conform to our pre-defined formats, either film, paper or sensor. Some images work better with a longer format, some more square. Many images simply aren't ideal at 4:3, 3:2, 8x10, or any other rigid size. If cropping a bit off one end makes a stronger image, then crop, even if it gives you an 8x9 1/2, or 3:1.5, or whatever.

You can fix the framing issue by using a custom cut matte and a larger, standard size frame.

8. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    16x12 is a standard size and it's also my favourite. I also get a lot of prints at 8x6 and 12x9. Frames are no problem as I have a local custom framer who gives really good value. I don't crop much as I naturally compose in 4:3 ratio (years of using a Bronica ETRSi) but I'm happy to crop to all sorts of odd sizes when required; you can always cut correspondingly "odd" mounts to fit standard frames if needed.

9. stanleyk

stanleyk Guest

May 26, 2010
    I print at 12 x 16 on a Canon Pixma Pro with various Red River papers. I just don't like cropping. I do shoot in 1 x 1 at least 50% of the time.

Ikea makes a frame series called Ribba. They are matted at 11.5 x 15.5. The also make on in the same line that is matted at 11.5 X 11.5.

10. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    But you're ALWAYS cropping. Even if you print at the exact same aspect ratio as the shot, you're still cropping everything outside the border of that print. Just making the decision of what format to shoot in (1:1, 4:3, etc.) and where to put your feet, and what focal length to use is cropping.

What's magical about cropping in-camera vs. in post processing?

11. Fred49

Fred49 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 24, 2010
    FRance
    I crop a lot to get the format i want.
    The 3 books i did with photos of my son are square with mostly square photos.
    At the opposite i have a 25x75 , about 10"x30" landscape hung on a wall cropped from a single photo.

12. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    Same here. If I am not cropping to a standard size, then I want to be able to choose any arbitrary size.