1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

4/3 9-18 on m4/3

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by elandel, Jan 25, 2012.

1. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    Hi all,

I have a question but if it has already been discussed you can link me to the thread.

I have a chance to buy a used 9-18 4/3 lens to use on my EP2. I know there is the m4/3 version but it costs too much: at leat 200 eurosmore.

So I would like to know how the 4/3 version performs on m4/3: IQ the same? AF? ad so on.

I have the MMF-1 adapter so it should keep all AF and so on.

Thank you.

p.s. I forgot to mention that I would also use it in my G3.

2. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    The lens is listed as compatible on Olympus' website. It will be larger, and likely will be slower to focus, but all functions should be retained. The 4/3 lens construction is listed as:
    13 Elements in 9 Groups, including ED Glass Aspherical Lens, Aspherical Lens & DSA (Dual Super Aspherical) Lens
    The m4/3 version:
    12 Elements in 8 Groups, including 2 DSA lenses, Aspherical lens, ED lens & HR lens

I'm guessing it's a wash, and will still have the same image quality. The extra element in the 4/3 version is likely because of the increased register distance.

3. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    This lens is optimized for CDAF and shouldn't perform all that different than the m4/3 version. :)

4. Sorry, but the AF speed is rubbish, not even close to the M Zuiko version.

• Like Like x 1
  5. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy

Thanks for answers.

What do you mean by 'rubbish'? 1 second, 2 seconds? I'm curious because I'm planning to take pictures of landscapes or architecture so I thought AF speed would not be so important - if in a decent lapse of time.
    I'm using a 35mm 3.5 macro in my Ep2 and AF speed is really slow but for static subjects it's not that of an issue, even if at times it makes me :mad:a bit.:smile:

6. At least 1 second. Fine for static subjects, but still frustrating to watch it go through the motions each time. It certainly sounds like it is working hard! I've become a bit cynical about the term "CDAF optimised" when it applies to 4/3 lenses on m4/3 cameras; I would still consider all the ones I have tried to be very slow by any measurable standard. I prefer to call them "CDAF less awful". Use any of them back-to-back with a fast focusing native m4/3 lens and you'll know what I mean.

With regards to the 4/3 9-18mm, I did a fairly unscientific test with mine not long after I bought the m4/3 M Zuiko version. To my surprise, given that the 4/3 is so much smaller, I generally found the RAW files from the m4/3 M Zuiko to be sharper than those from the 4/3 Zuiko. My initial thoughts were that it should be the opposite given that the m4/3 version relies on lens correction profiles whereas the 4/3 is all optical. It got me to thinking though, as soon as a camera starts applying lens correction profiles to a RAW file, who's to say that it doesn't also given the sharpening a tweak across the full frame as well? I'm only wondering out loud there, so don't quote me on that theory :wink:

The following are some of my pics from the 4/3 Zuiko 9-18mm, mostly taken on an E-P1, some on a GH1, and a few on a 4/3 E-410.

Olympus ZD 9-18mm f4-5.6 - a set on Flickr

• Like Like x 1
  7. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    Nice set of pictures. Thanks for sharing. For me it's only a question of price. The m4/3 version I can get only new for about 520 euros and the 4/3 version used is around 350 euros. In any case it's not easy to find used here in Italy.