4/3 9-18 on m4/3

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by elandel, Jan 25, 2012.

1. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    Hi all,

I have a question but if it has already been discussed you can link me to the thread.

I have a chance to buy a used 9-18 4/3 lens to use on my EP2. I know there is the m4/3 version but it costs too much: at leat 200 eurosmore.

So I would like to know how the 4/3 version performs on m4/3: IQ the same? AF? ad so on.

I have the MMF-1 adapter so it should keep all AF and so on.

Thank you.

p.s. I forgot to mention that I would also use it in my G3.
  2. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 All-Pro

The lens is listed as compatible on Olympus' website. It will be larger, and likely will be slower to focus, but all functions should be retained. The 4/3 lens construction is listed as:
    13 Elements in 9 Groups, including ED Glass Aspherical Lens, Aspherical Lens & DSA (Dual Super Aspherical) Lens
    The m4/3 version:
    12 Elements in 8 Groups, including 2 DSA lenses, Aspherical lens, ED lens & HR lens

I'm guessing it's a wash, and will still have the same image quality. The extra element in the 4/3 version is likely because of the increased register distance.
  3. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    This lens is optimized for CDAF and shouldn't perform all that different than the m4/3 version. :)
  4. Sorry, but the AF speed is rubbish, not even close to the M Zuiko version.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy

Thanks for answers.

What do you mean by 'rubbish'? 1 second, 2 seconds? I'm curious because I'm planning to take pictures of landscapes or architecture so I thought AF speed would not be so important - if in a decent lapse of time.
    I'm using a 35mm 3.5 macro in my Ep2 and AF speed is really slow but for static subjects it's not that of an issue, even if at times it makes me :mad:a bit.:smile:
  6. At least 1 second. Fine for static subjects, but still frustrating to watch it go through the motions each time. It certainly sounds like it is working hard! I've become a bit cynical about the term "CDAF optimised" when it applies to 4/3 lenses on m4/3 cameras; I would still consider all the ones I have tried to be very slow by any measurable standard. I prefer to call them "CDAF less awful". Use any of them back-to-back with a fast focusing native m4/3 lens and you'll know what I mean.

With regards to the 4/3 9-18mm, I did a fairly unscientific test with mine not long after I bought the m4/3 M Zuiko version. To my surprise, given that the 4/3 is so much smaller, I generally found the RAW files from the m4/3 M Zuiko to be sharper than those from the 4/3 Zuiko. My initial thoughts were that it should be the opposite given that the m4/3 version relies on lens correction profiles whereas the 4/3 is all optical. It got me to thinking though, as soon as a camera starts applying lens correction profiles to a RAW file, who's to say that it doesn't also given the sharpening a tweak across the full frame as well? I'm only wondering out loud there, so don't quote me on that theory :wink:

The following are some of my pics from the 4/3 Zuiko 9-18mm, mostly taken on an E-P1, some on a GH1, and a few on a 4/3 E-410.

Olympus ZD 9-18mm f4-5.6 - a set on Flickr
    • Like Like x 1
  7. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    Nice set of pictures. Thanks for sharing. For me it's only a question of price. The m4/3 version I can get only new for about 520 euros and the 4/3 version used is around 350 euros. In any case it's not easy to find used here in Italy.