4/3 40-150 with adapter or not? HELP!

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Jav291, Jun 7, 2013.

1. I am sure this question has been asked a lot and I am really just in need of advice and lots of it. I have very happily been shooting my EP-1 for two years now with just a 17mm 2.8. I recently decided to go completley Micro 4/3 and am selling off my Canon equipment (which is not worth much). I am limiting myself to just the money I am getting from my old equipment to buy my new (and used) Micro 4/3stuff. I mostly like primes but I have had a long zoom that I am selling that has become indespinsable for weddings, events, UFO's, etc.
    My question is, for a lens that I will use but not everyday, will I be happy with the performance of the Oly 4/3 40-150 with the adapter or should I spend the extra and go with the 40-150 in the Micro 4/3 mount? The price difference used can be anywhere from $30 to $80. I have heard that the adapter is slow to focus, but slower than my 6 year old DSLR with its Tamron 18-250 3.5-6.3 zoom? I know I am looking at more bulk and weight with the adapted lens, but I am use to that.
    Need some opinions, please...

2. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    The m4/3rds Olympus 40-150 is sharp, lightweight and focuses fast.
    I also have BOTH 4/3rds 40-150 and they NEVER go on my micro bodies these days.
    Buy the micro zoom.
    (I use the old MkI 4/3rds 40-150 zoom on my 4/3rds bodies and it is one hell of a great quality optic ... but that's beside the point.)

• Like Like x 1
  3. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    The Four Thirds 40-150 is not among the lenses from that system that I would really consider good candidates to adapt to :43:. That lens is not optimized for CDAF (as a few of the 4/3 lenses are) and it doesn't deliver anything that the native long kit zooms can't. As you've noted, AF performance is likely to be slow and the 4/3 lens is bigger and heavier and just as slow.

I've seen the native Olympus 40-150 zoom selling (new) for around $100. While it appears that deal has passed, I would think that you could probably find a used one for around that price. What sort of prices are you seeing on the 4/3 40-150? It would have to be nearly free for me to consider it (especially if you consider the additional cost of a 4/3 to :43: adapter).

4. martinq

martinq Mu-43 Regular

Sep 2, 2011
    San Jose, CA
    Olympus made two different 40-150mm lenses; the older "Zuiko EZ" was faster at f/3.5-4.5. It predated the Live View bodies and wasn't CDAF-optimized.

The newer "Zuiko ED" is more compact, and slightly slower at f/4-5.6, but was designed to CDAF with the Live View bodies. I had one from my old Four Thirds kit and I tried using it with my E-PL1.

For contrasty static subjects in bright light it was fine. If you added motion or low light to the mix it became frustratingly difficult to use, with a lot of slow, noisy hunting and plenty of out-of-focus shots. Personally I'd just sell it and watch for a used native m43 lens. Lots of people probably bought the Panasonic 45-150mm for $50 with the promo they had going, you might be able to convince a forum member to sell it to you!

• Like Like x 1
  5. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    That's not really correct. There are two different 4/3 40-150s. The older 40-150/3.5-4.5 has a metal mount and isn't optimized for CDAF. The newer 40-150/4-5.6 has a plastic mount and is optimized for CDAF.

However, the cost of the lens plus adapter is going be more than the native m4/3 40-150, so it doesn't really make much sense and the E-P1's AF is slow enough with native lenses, let alone 4/3 ones.

• Like Like x 1
  6. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Thanks for the correction. I didn't realize there was a second version of this lens. Even so, it doesn't change the conclusion that its just not really worth it unless the 4/3 lens were very cheap and/or you already had a 4/3-to-:43: adapter.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Thanks for the responses...the best price i am finding right now seems to be around $199 new. I am watching some on ebay where they seem to be going from $150 on up. Guess I'll keep watching, though. Thanks again

8. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    If you don't already have the 4/3 zoom, don't get it

At least not for this purpose. I have the gen. 1 Oly 40-150, and while it's a reasonably sharp, reasonably fast lens, the AF performance really sucks on the adapter to a Micro 4/3 body.

I already own the lens, and I have already bought a Panny 45-150 for Micro 4/3, as the size and AF performance really preclude the older Oly 40-150 being very useful in Micro 4/3 - even on Olympus bodies with IBIS.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Thanks for the advice again. Guess my timing is right...the OLY 40-150 just dropped to $150 Brand New from several online retailers (including B and H, Adorama, Cameta) which was about average for the used ones on ebay a week ago. Now the used ones are going for less too! I had budgeted $150 anyway, so I guess I'll get a new one with warranty...thanks,again...great bunch of people here at Mu-43

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.