4:3 - 16:9 - 3:2 - 1:1

Discussion in 'This or That?' started by Peter75, Jan 28, 2014.

1. Peter75

Peter75 Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    Hi all,

Which format do you guys use the most, and why ? I'm a long time Nikon dx user, and am used to the 3:2 look. My point and shoot was most of the time in 16:9, and actually have my G6 also set to 16:9 because that makes it nice to display on television.
    For my vertical shots however, I tend to quickly change it to 4:3 :)

3:2 fit's nice on A4 prints

2. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    3:2 is my default, but I use 4:3 and 16:9 when the mood strikes.
  3. edwardconde

edwardconde Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 8, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    When I had my Pentax it was 3:2, since moving over the m43 exclusively it has been 4:3 and then I crop if needed.. I want max resolution that the sensor can offer… :D
    • Like Like x 2
  4. alex66

alex66 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    4:3 I prefer it for a lot of things I do especially in landscape, I have not felt comfortable with 3:2 for years. I had a 645 for a long time so the format feels natural, now if they would make one with a square sensor using the max space for the sensor
  5. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Whatever suits the image best (but I rarely use 1:1)
  6. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

5:4! So I can blow them up to 8x10! Just kidding although it is funny that such a common print ratio isn't available in any digital camera.

Actually I usually shoot 4:3 on my m4/3 cameras and 3:2 on my Nikon{although they{it - I only have one now} don't give me an option}. I do however love the square and often crop my images that way and even shoot with that in mind.
  7. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

1) 3:2 (landscape) / 4:3 (portrait, occasional landscape)
    2) 16:9 landscape
    3) 1:1

I shoot in 3:2 but re-crop in raw processing.
  8. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    oh an btw, there's a reason why I assigned the Fn1 button to aspect ratio... it's there when needed quickly to toggle in between.
  9. lightmonkey

lightmonkey Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 22, 2013
    prefer 3:2 over 4:3 as it more closely matches with our width of view
    not as bothered by 4:3 of our cam that much when shooting people, which is rare

shoot in full ratio, crop in post. sometimes go wider for landscapes, sometimes go to 1:1 when theres nothing else supporting the image
  10. Peter75

Peter75 Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    Hmm that might be a good idea :)
  11. Peter75

Peter75 Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    That is what I initially thought as well. Just shoot at max size, and you crop the 16:9 (or 3:2) out of it. But when I was snapping away I quickly realized that I frame according to the viewfinder view. So if I crop later from 4:3 -> 16:9, I feel that the picture is somewhat ruined. Not sure if that is the right word.
  12. orfeo

orfeo Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 27, 2013
    16:9 because I like to show my shots to friends and family on TV screen.

U love shooting 16:9 ! Makes you think different and when I switch back to 3:2 I feel comfort with old habits. For vertical portrait I love 4:3 format... I have set a quick access button dedicated for switching ratio.

Gx7 is great having a 16:9 finder... Its evf M4/3 is great for shooting different format ratio!

I wish they will include wide screen ration in future firmware

Cropping is always nice but when I compose it is always for a certain ratio
  13. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    I make prints and there are more off the shelf frames and mats for 4:3, and it's very close to other standard print sizes like 8 1/2 x 11 and 11x14.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. fin azvandi

fin azvandi Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 12, 2011
    South Bend, IN
    I shoot in 4:3 but find myself cropping to 3:2 more frequently now.
  15. FastCorner

FastCorner Mu-43 Veteran

May 28, 2011
    I do the same.
  16. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    I'm always shooting in native size of the sensor. So a 4:3 sensor would be shot in 4:3, a 3:2 sensor would be shot in 3:2, etc. Why would you throw away those pixels? Composition is something that I play with during crop and sometimes I compose with that notion in mind. Then I crop as needed.

Landscape orientation: 2:1, 16:9, 3:2, 1:1
    Portrait orientation: 3:4, 1:1

1:1 isn't orientation restricted so I use it for just about anything B&W. But it isn't a rule for myself and it is more often a portrait than not.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. orfeo

orfeo Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 27, 2013
    composition is right at the moment of taking the picture for me. croping later is bothersome and I have enough pixel already. I believe a picture doesn't have to be sharp to be full of feelings. But the initial composition is more crucial than pixel count. Of course YMMV, and I have croped successfully many pictures when I was using old 3:2 ratio. It is just that for me now with giant tv screen, way more pictures get the size presentation they deserve. Kind of the slides of old days! Shooting in different ratio is a blessing with our mirroless and evf...

Try to shoot with different ratio as an exercise, you will notice that all different ratio require different composition rules. And rules when known can then be break. I do enjoy the different ratio a lot and for some time I wanna start a thread about 16:9 photography, but this thread is put more intelligently!! Thanks to OP!
    • Like Like x 1
  18. zlatko-photo

zlatko-photo Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 8, 2014
  19. Jaynometry

Jaynometry Mu-43 Regular

Sep 13, 2011
    Toronto, Ontario
    I'm still new to M4/3 so I'm still too used to 3:2. I find it hard to compose when the aspect ratio is on 4:3
  20. letsgofishing

letsgofishing Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 21, 2012
    South Africa
    Mike Kaplan
    I shoot mainly seascapes so I use 16:9 most of the time. For street portraits - 4:3 loooks better than 3:2 IMO...