1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

4 20mm f1.7 stitched images = 1 7mm image?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by cpt000, Mar 23, 2012.

1. cpt000

cpt000 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 11, 2012
    Hi,

In lieu of buying the 7-14 (wallet just gave a little yelp), would I be better off with 4 shots from the 20mm, then stitching together panorama style? Say for the gallery of a museum, for example.

2. manju69

manju69 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 1, 2011
    Stroud, UK
    Pete
    I'm no expert but my experience is that the FOV of a lens is unique and can't really be re created by stitching or cropping. You can approximate it- but it won't look the same. Plus taking an stitching images to create a panorama has its own issues.

3. songs2001

songs2001 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 8, 2011
    It depends what you are after. Super wides aren't really for getting everything in a frame. If your goal is to get more stuff into a picture, panorama will do a better job than using a super wide.

4. steve16823

steve16823 Mu-43 Regular

Sep 26, 2011
    Brookfield, IL
    Is it possible? Sure. But assuming you're stitching them 4 in a square, the 4 shots perfectly stitched edge to edge with no overlap (which is obviously not going to happen in reality) would approximate a 10mm field of view. Put in some necessary overlap and you may not be much wider than the 14mm end of a kit zoom.

Would you be better off??? No way. To really get a nice looking indoor panoramic, you're going to need a tripod and a panoramic head to keep the shots aligned. This will probably cost you as much as the 7-14mm.

If the 7-14mm is too expensive, get the 9-18mm m. zuiko. If the 9-18mm m. zuiko is too expensive get a used or refurbished 9-18mm digital zuiko and adapt it. Still too much? Get the wide angle adapter for the Olympus 14-42mm. Or get the Rokinon/Samyang 7.5mm fisheye and de-fish it. In my opinion, any of these options would likely have better results than stitching the 20mm.

5. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    It is a little more complicated. Panoramas can easily be made handheld--I do it all the time. There is more control with a tripod. If you have lots of foreground elements a nodal slide helps, but you can also edit artifacts later.

One advantage of stitching is an increase in resolution.

Then you need to think about the projection and this is where you may not get the same thing. The projection for the stitch is going to impact the result. A projection that gives the same projection as a regular lens needs to warp the ends of the pano and it can be quite pronounced. A cylindrical projection is the least warped, but may give a strange looking image because the flat image surface--things can look rounded.

BTW, you can also simple more away from the object and use the lens you have, at least if the surroundings allow it.