3rd party bumps in the buy sell

Discussion in 'Help and Feedback' started by heli-mech, Feb 26, 2016.

1. heli-mech

heli-mech Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2012
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Andrew
    Has there ever been any discussion or is it possible to prevent 3rd party bumps in the Buy Sell. I ask not because its a major issue, but just an annoyance when someone comes along and bumps up 3 or 4 threads (in some cases really old ones) to ask "is it still available" or "PM sent". I only bump my own thread once a day max but it can quickly get pushed down when someone does this creating minor frustration.

**edit: just to be clear, I am saying still allow anyone to reply to any thread, just don't bump the thread unless its the OP, or add a Bump button like Fred Miranda.

Thanks

Last edited: Feb 26, 2016
  2. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 3, 2014
    I don't see what the issue is. People are not allowed to ask questions on thr ad now? Why even have a forum?

• Like Like x 1
  3. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

It seems like asking about a listing by replying to a listing is the exact purpose of the for sale forum.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. heli-mech

Mar 9, 2012
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Andrew
    No I didn't say that at all, I said "bump" in other words they can post but it won't send the thread to the top unless its the Original poster. The PM system is in place for a reason, there are not many questions that require the thread be bumped in the buy sell.

Sent from my A0001 using Mu-43 mobile app

5. heli-mech

Mar 9, 2012
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Andrew
    Look yesterday at miguelATF, four bumped threads, 2 of them older ones. Thats my only point, as I said minor annoyance when you are trying to sell something, and this is the feedback forum.

Sent from my A0001 using Mu-43 mobile app buy sell bump example.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2016
  6. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    I'd rather see PMs for all buy/sell communications, but that's just me. My biggest gripe is when the seller bumps his thread with a "sold" post. I'd ban for that....:)

7. heli-mech

Mar 9, 2012
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Andrew
    Agree, (well not with the ban but the gripe) Pretty sure Amin addresses that directly in the buy sell rules.

8. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    I haven't sold anything using the forum yet, but I feel like I'd rather have listings bumped by 3rd parties rather than the OP. It emphasizes the threads that have some interest attached to them.

But really, I do think almost all that conversation should come in via PMs. I'm just not sure that Bumping should happen, regardless of who's doing it, if we're having the discussion...

9. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    There is no rule or software barrier to third-party bumping. If someone is identified as bumping their own thread via another account, then they are banned.

If we make it so that replies don't bump threads at all, we'll have a lot of people relisting their stuff fairly often, which creates other problems. I think we should live with the occasional nuisance of multiple threads getting bumped.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. heli-mech

Mar 9, 2012
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Andrew
    Question answered. Thanks

11. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    I used to just PM and wondered why people would bother to write "Sent PM". Then I just assumed that it was a public way of queuing for items that have a lot of interest. So sometimes I do that too.

As a buyer, I'm ok with how the site currently works. If I'm looking for a particular item I will use search.

As a seller, I could see the frustration with your listing ending up on page 2 or 3 after older listings get bumped to the top. But I guess that's what OP bumping is for.

12. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    Not to be antagonistic, but I find this to be much more rude than third party bumps. An OP bumping his own post once every week or two is more what I think is reasonable.

People are doing two things IMO when they visit the buy/sell forum. One is to run a search for whatever they are seeking. In that case it doesn't matter if you bump or not and these are probably the serious buyers. The second visit purpose is to browse. If I'm a regular browser, I don't want to see your ad in the top two or three every single day. It's rude. I've already seen it, I don't want to see it again, and there is no benefit that accrues to you from repeatedly annoying me.

FWIW, I am mostly a searcher.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. heli-mech

Mar 9, 2012
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Andrew
    No worries its not antagonist its your opinion. All I can do is explain why.
    One: fairly standard policy on almost every forum with a buy sell, Fred Miranda is actually every 12 hours.
    Two: it really does make a difference, probably close to half my sales have occurred when a thread was recently bumped(within a couple hours). I understand you search and so do I but as a general rule threads near the top get more attention its a simple fact. Thats why you can pay more on some buy sells/classified sites to stay at the top.

14. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 3, 2014
    Like @oldracer@oldracer i hate seeing a thread with bump after bump after bump by the OP. I also find this thread comical. A thread complaining about people posting on a thread, that is what they are for after all. It's not any worse then an OP bumping their own thread in my honest opinion.

Personally I just ask questions (even is it still available) on the thread, easier then going thru the hassle of starting and sending a PM.

Oh, I really don't care what the rules are on Fred Miranda, this is not Fred's site. I also didn't respond to your PM because I knew exactly what you meant.

Now I will follow forum rule #4..........