1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

3rd party batteries

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by slackercruster, Jul 20, 2012.

1. slackercruster

slackercruster Mu-43 Regular

Jul 18, 2012
    NE US
    3rd party batteries

How do they compare to original equipment batts?

Last as long before they need replacing?

2. kuo34

kuo34 New to Mu-43

Jun 9, 2012
    Valdosta, GA
    I have a maximal power battery for my E-PL1. No problems with fit or charging. I haven't noticed any difference between battery life between that and the OEM.

3. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    There's a lot of debate in this area. Some people blindly swear by them, wile others avoid them like the plague due to the safety risks.

First of all they will require a separate charger as they don't charge in the Olympus charger since they ignore the new Japanese battery safety regulations; most of the clones have only three contacts for charging instead of the five on the original BLN-1...some clones do have five contacts, but the other two aren't connected.

Some clones don't even use the basic safety contact, charging only with two contacts.

Some manufactures overstate the mAh rating, and use cheaper cells which overheat causing the case to swell.

A few people have gotten their clone batteries stuck inside the camera, either because the battery swelled due to overheating, or because they didn't measure the size of the battery they were copying properly.

Years ago someone did tests on BLM-1 batteries (Oly E cameras) if you want to see potential differences:
    BLM-1 Lithium-Ion Clone Battery Tests

Lastly if Oly had to recall the batteries due to defect you'd hear about it...with clone brands who knows, if they even bother to fix the defect.

• Like Like x 1
  4. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

You should be discussing particular brands.

Asking if third party batteries is good or bad is like asking if italian food is good. Who's food? From where?

My experience is all over the place.... with Lenmar batteries (NP-80 for Epson R-D1) specifically being surprisingly good. Others.. ranged from medocre to crap. The reason I go for thirdparty is driven when sourcing batteries has become difficult. In the case of the R-D1, Epson simply stopped making the batteries and the camera drained them pretty quickly. Other than that, I usually go for OEM. I'm pretty close to buying third party for the OMD...my name on a list in three shops and checking online.. its been two- to three months I've been making due with 1 battery.

5. slackercruster

slackercruster Mu-43 Regular

Jul 18, 2012
    NE US
    If that is the case, I don't want to stock another charger.

Thanks for the feedback!

6. 0dBm

0dBm Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 30, 2011
    Western United States
    What camera are you using? I currently use this in my GX1 and charge it in the Panasonic charger. So far, so good.

The greatest safety risk with 3.7 volt Lithium-Ion batteries is during the charging process.

7. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    Depends on your camera. Since the OP has asked questions about the EPM1, you can buy all kinds of batteries that fit the BLS1 form factor. These will all charge in the Olympus battery charger.

In my opinion, rechargeable Lithium-Ion cells are fires waiting to happen. Accordingly, batteries using these cells have a protection chip between the cells and the outside world. A properly designed chip shuts off the battery if it draws too much current, goes too low in voltage in use, or goes too high in voltage when charging. An additional (often omitted for 3rd party makers) safety factor is to include a thermal sensor so the camera or charger can shut off the battery if it gets too hot.

Even with all of the above safety available, major makers like Sony, Dell, a nd a few cell phone makers still had fires and recalls. By now, you figure the engineers are all smarter, but who knows about some guy with a battery start-up venture.

Product safety organizations test batteries for safety, and I think having "CE" on the label means it is safe. . However, I bet most of the ebay vendors fake these labels, I would hope Amazon stays with more reputable sellers.

I don't recommend 3rd party batteries, but I do use them at my own risk on my digital cameras. I have three or four BLS1 clones for my PEN's. The clones may have less capacity, but I have extras.

8. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    Sure, CE, CSA, UL, they get faked all the time. If they fake big branded memory cards, a safety label is nothing.