1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

3rd-Party Batteries for OMD E-M5?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by newbert, Oct 12, 2013.

1. newbert

newbert Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 22, 2012
    Glens Falls, NY
    Last year, I bought the Wasabi batteries (2 plus charger) for my E-M5. I left the charger and one battery in a hotel room on a recent vacation, so now I'm left with one Wasabi battery that I can't charge. (I still have my OEM Olympus battery and charger, though.)

I want to replace the Wasabi charger and battery, but I'm wondering whether there is now a better choice with 3rd party batteries for the E-M5? (I haven't kept up with the latest on batteries....). If so, does anyone have a link, and would my remaining Wasabi be compatible with it? Or should I just re-order 2 Wasabis and charger? (If that's the case, does anyone have a link for where to purchase them?)

Thanks!

2. masberg24

masberg24 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 20, 2013
    As of know the wasabi is the best for em-5, just order wasabi :)

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 mobile app

3. hrsy1234

hrsy1234 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 29, 2013
    East London
    Are you saying you can't charge a Wasabi battery in the OEM charger? I wasn't aware of that - I don't own anything Wasabi at the moment but was considering it.

Can you charge a standard Olympus BLN-1 in the Wasabi charger? Or are you restricted to using the Wasabi batteries only?

4. newbert

newbert Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 22, 2012
    Glens Falls, NY
    AFAIK, The Wasabi battery won't charge in the OEM charger, but the OEM battery will charge in the Wasabi charger (but with diminished capacity). That doesn't help me, since I lost the Wasabi charger.....

Someone correct me if this is wrong, please.

5. fsuscotphoto

fsuscotphoto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2013
    St. Cloud, FL
    Ron
    I charged the OEM in the Wasabi charger, but I think it won't charge to full power.

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43 mobile app

6. pake

pake Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 14, 2010
    Finland
    Teemu
    I bought a Hähnel BLN-1 battery replacement about 5 months ago. I had to send it back after one week since it didn't recharge. I got another one a week later and everything worked fine (with the original Oly charger).

Well... A couple of weeks ago it broke. Sometimes it would blink the error signal and sometimes it "recharged" (or at least according to the charger lights) but after fitting it into the camera my E-M5 worked for a few minutes and then went blank. I contacted the seller and they said they've had so many problems/complaints with the battery that they decided to stop selling it. I was given the option to get my money back or pay ~20€ more to change it to a Olympus one. I chose the latter and am now waiting for it to arrive...

7. barbosas

barbosas Mu-43 Veteran

May 7, 2013
    Lisbon
    I used 2 wasabi batteries on my former E-PL5 with no problems, I have now bought an E-P5 and decided to go original on the extra battery.

There's seem to be way too many issues reported online with 3rd party batteries.