3rd Party / Aftermarket accessories

Discussion in 'The Watering Hole' started by Chrisnmn, Aug 27, 2012.

1. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    Hey guys, since m43 has turned so many heads this last year (myself included) I thought it would be great to have a thread to post all third parties accessories, aftermarket whatever.

I personally and use some JJC stuff for my OMD, like some hoods and card readers shock/waterproof cases. I also use some 3rd party spare batteries which work great for the OMD. just like the original ones.

But i personally, would like to know for example, if there is a 3rd party grip for the OMD other than the $300 HLD6 one?.

2. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    There is a third party grip, but it is just a grip no extra shutter or accessories buttons. It does allow for tripod mount and leaves access to battery compartment, but personally I think it's overpriced in comparison to what yOu get with the oly grip. Others here say its great so what do I know.

• Like Like x 1
  3. jeffg53

jeffg53 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Jeff Grant
    What I do know is that, as a landscape photographer, I need an L bracket, and the HLD 6 doesn't let me do that.

4. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    I do a lot of landscape myself as well, and i would like to know why you think the Olympus grip wont let you use it as a portrait or landscape?

5. jeffg53

jeffg53 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Jeff Grant
    I have used L brackets for years on all sorts of cameras. They are an elegant solution as you never have to flip the camera on its side on the tripod. They also let you level the head first and then mount the camera any way you want.

As to the specifics of the OM D, I bought an RRS plate and tried it out. It comes loose pretty quickly once you flip to vertical. I suspect that is to do with whatever the bottom of the HLD is made of.You really need metal to metal to avoid slippage.

6. jeffg53

jeffg53 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Jeff Grant
    Here's close to what I have on my other camera. The OM D definitely doesn't need this.:rofl:

Attached Files:

7. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    hahahaah i know what you mean. since you do have a medium format digital sensor which are impressive and they do have more latitude than film, how do you find shooting landscapes with the OMD. im not expecting you to tell me that the OMD is close to a MF but im interested to know how do you use it.

8. jeffg53

jeffg53 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Jeff Grant
    It's very early days yet but I expect to use the OM D for times when I don't want to lug the H4D around. Air travel is getting harder with weight and number of bag restrictions etc. I am delighted that the OM D is 645 just like the Hasselblad. I hate the 2:3 ratio of DSLRs with a passion.

A friend, who uses a Leica S2, has bought an OM D and loves it. I know that there are many shots that I will get with this that I just couldn't before. I am buying the best lenses that I can find - P25, O45, O75, O50-200 + MMF3 and the O60 macro and Schneider 14 when they arrive. I expect that I will be able to print up to A2 without issues.

This gear is really exciting. I had looked at MFT before and dismissed it but the OM D is a game changer said he bravely.

Humble apologies, I appear to have hijacked your thread, I promise to shut up now.

9. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    I know what you mean about the 645 aspect of the OMD. I used to have it in my mamiya, and now here.

Its interesting to know from a Medium format photographer to jump into this wagon. I sold my FF gear just to keep my OMD yet i still shoot my film cameras to do some other stuff.

I dont see much difference into shooting with the OMD or a Canon 7D or even 5D. You can easily get A2 size prints without having to interpolate anything. and thats great. yet jumping onto digital MF thats another story.

welcome by the way! this is a quite easy going forum! youll have fun!.

10. jeffg53

jeffg53 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Jeff Grant
    Thanks Chris, I'm looking forward to it.