1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

3rd part batteries, is this a record

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Paul80, May 7, 2015.

1. Paul80

Paul80 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 6, 2014
    Hi all

I have a high number images to make copies of using my G6 and thought this might be a good time to test all the 3rd Party batteries I have to see how many shots I get from each one.

The test was to charge the battery in the Lumix charger and then shoot until the camera shuts down

In addition to a couple of genuine Lumix batteries which are rated at 1200mAh I also have the following 3rd Parties

DSTE claimed to be 1700mAh
    EXPro claimed to be 1200mAh
    Opteka claimed to be 2000mAh

Full results to follow but just finished the first EXPro and could not believe the number of shots I got from this battery

Total shots taken from full charge to camera shutting down was 816

Camera was tripod mounted in A mode with auto focus enabled lens was the Olympus 60mm Macro.

That number of shots was phenomenal and far more than I get with this battery under normal use so something must be using the extra juice could it be the OIS ?

Will post back when I get the full results from all the other batteries.

Paul

2. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    OIS can use a lot however the main use of battery power is normally the LCD, keeping it off and not chimping will generally result in more shots, it's also somewhat temperature dependent as they can lose charge in very cold operating conditions (the voltage potential of the cells drop).

3. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    The CIPA standard is something like this:
    - turn on the camera with the LCD on and wait 30 seconds
    - every 30 seconds zoom all in, zoom all out and shoot a picture (one out of two with flash on)
    - every 10 pictures turn the camera off and repeat from the start

Most m43 cameras get around 350 shots with this procedure, so 800 is reasonable.

I got myself around 800 shots out of a single original olympus battery using the EVF only on E-M10.

Under normal use do you turn on/off the camera often? Do you review the pictures? I also think you take a lot more time to frame real shots compared to the test. And in this test if the subject distance does not change the AF almost do not work.

4. Paul80

Paul80 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 6, 2014
    I am using the LCD screen in my testing and the focusing is set to use the minimum range on the lens so that is obviously having some effect.

Still quite surprised I got so many as in my normal use I only use the EVF and don't review what I have taken, zoom has no effect as none of my lenses are power zooms.

Paul

5. Paul80

Paul80 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 6, 2014
    Hi all

Right the test is over and the results are bellow.

I have been copying a huge number of medium format negative and every frame was exposed three times using auto bracket, so the auto focus was only set for the first of each set of exposures.

Obviously its not a real time test as using the camera in this manor is not normal but it does make for some interesting comparisons between the batteries used.

Each battery was charged on the original Lumix charger and taken from the charger at the start of each set so no time for it to sit around losing charge.

I ended up using 4 different makes of battery and made a note of how many exposures were made before the battery indicator change state.

With a properly chipped battery the indicator should be able to go through 4 states before the camera shuts down

They are 3 Bars, 2 Bars, 1 Bar, All flashing Red, then the camera switches off, the flashing red is important as if you go beyond that point and run untill the camera shuts down you may lose any data still held in the buffer.

The results are

Original Lumix Battery

1200mAh
    Shots to 2 Bars 435
    Shots to 1 Bar 723
    Shots to red 855 Red State Shown
    Total Shots 855

No name Battery

1800mAh
    Shots to 2 Bars 552
    Shots to 1 Bar 657
    Shots to off 684 No Red State
    Total Shots 684

DTSE Battery

1700mAh
    Shots to 2 Bars 729
    Shots to 1 Bar 888
    Shots to off 891 No Red State Notice how quick this went from 1 Bar to powering down only 3 shots
    Total Shots 891

EXPro Battery

1200mAh
    Shots to 2 Bars 692
    Shots to 1 Bar 809
    Shots to red 821 Red State Shown but Notice how quick this went from 1 bar to red state only 12 shots
    Total Shots 821

Quite surprised by the high number of shots I was able to get out of all of these batteries as none of them come close to that in real out and about shooting with 300 being a more accurate figure with the No name never able to do more than 100.

Also good to know that the EXpro ship appears to work the display bar correctly giving enough time to shut the camera down safely.

Hope this has been of help to others looking for working 3rd party batteries

I would stick to lumix ones if possible though that way you get 100% compatibility and be sure the cells inside are of the stated capacity which they may not be with cheap Chinese ebay & amazon supplied battery packs.

Paul

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    Slightly unrelated however after a recent trip I had one (genuine) battery that seemed to be dead, it was fully charged yet the camera saw it as a flashing red symbol. The camera would function normally however the warning would never go away regardless of it it were the main battery or in a battery grip.

On close inspection there was mud/grit in some of the terminals and after cleaning and polishing them with a Q-tip it now shows full charge and is working normally again. Needless to say I went through and cleaned all of my batteries just as a preventative measure...