1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

3rd gen PENs: sequential shooting buffer?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Promit, Sep 15, 2011.

1. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    I decided to try out sequential mode on my E-PM1 and found that it runs out of buffer space after just six images at Large Normal, seven at Small. With the new 5 fps mode on the PL3 and PM1, that means sequential mode ends pretty much immediately. After the buffer fills, the camera falls back to about one shot a second, give or take.

I'm wondering how this compares to the better more expensive 3rd gen cameras, and if a better card (eg Sandisk Extreme) affects the speed at all. Seems pretty poor to me otherwise...

2. s0nus

s0nus Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 13, 2010
    Chicago
    What speed class is the memory card you're using?

3. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    I am running a Transcend Class 10 card (16 GB). Not incredible, but hardly a slouch. It looks like the buffer on the EPL1 is 9 shots (same card), so I'm wondering if the PL3 and P3 do better.

4. Pipedreamphoto

Pipedreamphoto New to Mu-43

Nov 17, 2011
    I run an e-pm1 with a sandisk 32gb expreme pro uhs-1 card and get 15 large jpeg images before I start to slow down and 9 raw images (full 5.5 fps). The buffer on my d700 only does 15 raw images at 9 fps, so I'm pretty use to it. I'd say it's pretty good performance from the E-pm1, it takes about 5.5 seconds to write those 9 frames to my card and then I'm good to shoot another 9.

You have to go up to the dual processor 7d to get a 30 frame buffer......

5. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    You must be shooting RAW. I can shoot nearly endlessly with the gf1 in burst mode.

6. Pipedreamphoto

Nov 17, 2011
    The gf1 runs 3 fps not 5.5, if I set my e-pm1 to continuous low ( set at the default 3fps) on large jpeg you can shoot indefinitely as well.

7. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    then I guess the OP needs to decide if they want to capture all the details of 1 second or most of the details of infinite seconds.

8. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    The E-PM1 and the E-PL3 both got an updated, faster shutter when they revamped the system to make it smaller. The E-P3 still has the old shutter, and thus the slower burst rate of 3 fps like previous models. I guess the faster shutter of the E-PM1 and E-PL3 must be faster than the rest of the camera (or card) can keep up with, even though they do have dual processors now. The E-P3 should give you the same performance of older cameras though, probably giving you indefinite buffer but a slower burst rate.

9. Pipedreamphoto

Nov 17, 2011
    The issue is the hardware, current readers in cameras max at 30 mb/s for SD cards, sandisk has their new uhs-1 cards which can run 45 mb/s but there are almost no cameras that are uhs-1 enabled. They could put in a way bigger buffer and a way faster processor, but they will still bottle neck at the card because a raw file from and e-pm1 is about 15 mb . This is basically the same as cf cards pre UDMA, with pro dslrs outputting 50mb+ raw files. It's just to much info for the current reader / card writer to handle. Hopefully the next generation of cameras will run uhs-1 enabled hardware. ( as a side note if you use a current 45 mb/s uhs-1 enabled card in the non-uhs-1 cameras they just default to 30 mb/s, but you are future ready)

Just shoot 3 fps on your epm1 and get a sandisk extreme pro card and you should be fine.