3rd gen PENs: sequential shooting buffer?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Promit, Sep 15, 2011.

1. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    I decided to try out sequential mode on my E-PM1 and found that it runs out of buffer space after just six images at Large Normal, seven at Small. With the new 5 fps mode on the PL3 and PM1, that means sequential mode ends pretty much immediately. After the buffer fills, the camera falls back to about one shot a second, give or take.

I'm wondering how this compares to the better more expensive 3rd gen cameras, and if a better card (eg Sandisk Extreme) affects the speed at all. Seems pretty poor to me otherwise...

2. s0nus

s0nus Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 13, 2010
    Chicago
    What speed class is the memory card you're using?

3. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    I am running a Transcend Class 10 card (16 GB). Not incredible, but hardly a slouch. It looks like the buffer on the EPL1 is 9 shots (same card), so I'm wondering if the PL3 and P3 do better.

4. Pipedreamphoto

Pipedreamphoto New to Mu-43

Nov 17, 2011
    I run an e-pm1 with a sandisk 32gb expreme pro uhs-1 card and get 15 large jpeg images before I start to slow down and 9 raw images (full 5.5 fps). The buffer on my d700 only does 15 raw images at 9 fps, so I'm pretty use to it. I'd say it's pretty good performance from the E-pm1, it takes about 5.5 seconds to write those 9 frames to my card and then I'm good to shoot another 9.

You have to go up to the dual processor 7d to get a 30 frame buffer......

5. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    You must be shooting RAW. I can shoot nearly endlessly with the gf1 in burst mode.

6. Pipedreamphoto

Nov 17, 2011
    The gf1 runs 3 fps not 5.5, if I set my e-pm1 to continuous low ( set at the default 3fps) on large jpeg you can shoot indefinitely as well.

7. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    then I guess the OP needs to decide if they want to capture all the details of 1 second or most of the details of infinite seconds.

8. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    The E-PM1 and the E-PL3 both got an updated, faster shutter when they revamped the system to make it smaller. The E-P3 still has the old shutter, and thus the slower burst rate of 3 fps like previous models. I guess the faster shutter of the E-PM1 and E-PL3 must be faster than the rest of the camera (or card) can keep up with, even though they do have dual processors now. The E-P3 should give you the same performance of older cameras though, probably giving you indefinite buffer but a slower burst rate.

9. Pipedreamphoto

Nov 17, 2011
    The issue is the hardware, current readers in cameras max at 30 mb/s for SD cards, sandisk has their new uhs-1 cards which can run 45 mb/s but there are almost no cameras that are uhs-1 enabled. They could put in a way bigger buffer and a way faster processor, but they will still bottle neck at the card because a raw file from and e-pm1 is about 15 mb . This is basically the same as cf cards pre UDMA, with pro dslrs outputting 50mb+ raw files. It's just to much info for the current reader / card writer to handle. Hopefully the next generation of cameras will run uhs-1 enabled hardware. ( as a side note if you use a current 45 mb/s uhs-1 enabled card in the non-uhs-1 cameras they just default to 30 mb/s, but you are future ready)

Just shoot 3 fps on your epm1 and get a sandisk extreme pro card and you should be fine.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.