1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

3D printed lens hood for PL100-400

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by AussiePhil, Apr 25, 2019.

1. AussiePhil

AussiePhil Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Jun 1, 2014
    Canberra, ACT, Aust
    Phil
    After last weekend i finally got completely sick of the larger hood and it's screw that sticks out.
    It has to be one of the most stupid designs.....
    This is not going to be a small discrete option :)  it's going to be a carbon fibre look monster because i want to :) 
    One simple criteria, the hood itself had to be really fast to put on and take off and be reversed over the lens for storage.
    Breaking out Fusion 360 i broke the design into two parts.
    1. the actual largely permanently attached adapter
    here's the render for that part, the thread gives just over one full turn for the actual hood
    I have 3 equally spaced screws to ensure a solid non slip connection to the mini hood
    plhood render2.PNG
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2. the main hood. This is 85mm long for this version at least.
    I've rendered that in a dark grey. the plan is to print in black ABS and if required matte black the inside of the hood. I've ordered some carbon fibre vinyl wrap for the outside :) 
    plhood render1.PNG

I'll update this once i have the back printed parts next week

• Like Like x 3
  2. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Legend Subscribing Member

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    Very nice Phil. Any reason in particular you decided to have the product printed out of ABS instead of PC?

Also, how will you prevent the set screws from marking the metal lens barrel?

3. speedy

speedy Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Nov 27, 2015
    Looks to me that the adapter threads to the lens, then the hood is fixed to the adapter

4. ijm5012

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    Phil had said "I have 3 equally spaced screws to ensure a solid non slip connection to the mini hood".

I understand that as meaning three set screws hold the adapter ring on to the lens' mini-hood. There are no internal threads on the adapter ring, so I'm not certain how it would thread on to the lens (the external threads you see on the adapter ring are for the 3D printed lens hood to screw on to).

5. speedy

speedy Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Nov 27, 2015
    The mini hood/adapter looks to me that the external/male thread screws into the lens filter threads. Then the hood picks up the 3 equi spaced holes

6. ijm5012

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    The PL 100-400 comes from the factory with an integrated mini-hood that slides (see pic below for reference). My guess is that Phil's adapter ring fits over the top of the lens' mini-hood, and is held in place by the three set screws. This then leaves the external threads on the adapter ring exposed, which the 3D printed lens hood screws on to.

Those external threads are far too coarse to thread in to 72mm filter ring present on the PL 100-400.

I guess we'll need to wait for Phil to chime in, but that's how I see the assembly working.

panny100-400.jpg

(image from Image Resources review of the PL 100-400)

7. AussiePhil

Jun 1, 2014
    Canberra, ACT, Aust
    Phil
    Hey Ian, i'll quote the first message but really replying to all of them.

ABS purely because i'm setup for and have used ABS for years now, i know it's characteristics and how to make it thin(ish) and strong. I've got a couple of rolls of PC to play with but still struggling to get any decent bed adhesion.
    I have a big print run for some PC based stuff if i can nail the bed stuff down... might need to fire up the big delta over winter to work it out.

I wasn't overly concerned about the set screws marking the mini hood that is still on the lens, if it had been attaching directly to the barrel i would have done what Panasonic did on the big hood and provided a metal plate to be pushed by the screw.
    I'm going to go back into the design and replicate the same setup as the panasonic hood, seems simple enough...
    In the mean time i've already marked mine

Here's the second prototype adapter section off and on the lens
    yeah day-glo orange is a little bright but it was loaded in the printer this morning and i couldn't be bothered changing it for prototype printing
    I'll likely taper the left hand side as in the photo so it doesn't look quite so "bulky"
    X4259061.jpg

Here's it on the lens, yeah i missed focus oops, and the lens front is (was) dusty

X4259064.jpg

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. AussiePhil

Jun 1, 2014
    Canberra, ACT, Aust
    Phil
    Nailed it :) 

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. ijm5012

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    What printer are you using Phil? Does it have a heated bed? I've found that for PC, a heated bed is crucial to prevent peeling/warping during the printing process.

As 3D printer prices continue to fall, I may look at picking one up in a year or two once I get my workshop sorted out at our new house.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. AussiePhil

Jun 1, 2014
    Canberra, ACT, Aust
    Phil
    I have two, my small workhorse for most things is a flashforge creator pro with full metal hot end upgrades, i went and grabbed this photo, good thing to as i had run out of filament for the hood test print at 70% done, brought it in any to check
    _Z256737.jpg

My other one is a very large Delta printer call MegaHex... here is a video of it in action

Both have fully heated beds, in the video the MegaHex is printing PLA parts for a CNC machine.

• Like Like x 3
  11. AussiePhil

Jun 1, 2014
    Canberra, ACT, Aust
    Phil
    Photo of the partially printed test hood fitted on the lens might not be small but it's still light :) 
    _Z256739.jpg

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Like Like x 3
    • Wow Wow x 1
  12. Andrewmap

Andrewmap Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Jun 5, 2018
    Derby, United Kingdom
    Martin
    Nice job, Phil:thumbsup:. Thinking of keeping those colours?:rofl: They are distinctive!

• Funny Funny x 2
  13. AussiePhil

Jun 1, 2014
    Canberra, ACT, Aust
    Phil
    Oh you are funny Martin :)  they are distinctive for sure... I have some others that would be even more distinctive
    Nah my black filament should be here next Wednesday so by next weekend we should have both parts reprinted in black

• Like Like x 1
  14. ijm5012

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    I just had a look, and in the US they're only $700. The build volume is a bit small, but I can't believe how cheap that is!

15. AussiePhil

Jun 1, 2014
    Canberra, ACT, Aust
    Phil
    Yep, and the off the shelf model is great value in my opinion. Honestly the build volume may seem small but it’s a rare day I need something bigger

16. AussiePhil

Jun 1, 2014
    Canberra, ACT, Aust
    Phil
    Well after waiting 10 days for the couriers to get a roll of black 3d print filament between two cities only 600 miles apart i got to print this thing up in black
    The adapter section mounted on the lens, the 3D print hood top right and the original metal hood bottom right
    _Z126751.jpg

And together it looks like ....
    47042421254_4aeb80eb50_o.jpg
    _M120102 by Phil Gartner, on Flickr

• Like Like x 7
    • Winner Winner x 2
  17. twigboy

twigboy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 10, 2016
    Virginia
    Really nice. And it mounts reverse? (I think they want to see)

18. AussiePhil

Jun 1, 2014
    Canberra, ACT, Aust
    Phil
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.