3D printed lens hood for PL100-400

AussiePhil

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Phil
After last weekend i finally got completely sick of the larger hood and it's screw that sticks out.
It has to be one of the most stupid designs.....
This is not going to be a small discrete option :) it's going to be a carbon fibre look monster because i want to :)
One simple criteria, the hood itself had to be really fast to put on and take off and be reversed over the lens for storage.
Breaking out Fusion 360 i broke the design into two parts.
1. the actual largely permanently attached adapter
here's the render for that part, the thread gives just over one full turn for the actual hood
I have 3 equally spaced screws to ensure a solid non slip connection to the mini hood
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2. the main hood. This is 85mm long for this version at least.
I've rendered that in a dark grey. the plan is to print in black ABS and if required matte black the inside of the hood. I've ordered some carbon fibre vinyl wrap for the outside :)

I'll update this once i have the back printed parts next week

ijm5012

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ian
Very nice Phil. Any reason in particular you decided to have the product printed out of ABS instead of PC?

Also, how will you prevent the set screws from marking the metal lens barrel?

speedy

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Very nice Phil. Any reason in particular you decided to have the product printed out of ABS instead of PC?

Looks to me that the adapter threads to the lens, then the hood is fixed to the adapter

ijm5012

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ian
Looks to me that the adapter threads to the lens, then the hood is fixed to the adapter
Phil had said "I have 3 equally spaced screws to ensure a solid non slip connection to the mini hood".

I understand that as meaning three set screws hold the adapter ring on to the lens' mini-hood. There are no internal threads on the adapter ring, so I'm not certain how it would thread on to the lens (the external threads you see on the adapter ring are for the 3D printed lens hood to screw on to).

speedy

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Phil had said "I have 3 equally spaced screws to ensure a solid non slip connection to the mini hood".

I understand that as meaning three set screws hold the adapter ring on to the lens' mini-hood. There are no internal threads on the adapter ring, so I'm not certain how it would thread on to the lens (the external threads you see on the adapter ring are for the 3D printed lens hood to screw on to).
The mini hood/adapter looks to me that the external/male thread screws into the lens filter threads. Then the hood picks up the 3 equi spaced holes

ijm5012

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ian
The mini hood/adapter looks to me that the external/male thread screws into the lens filter threads. Then the hood picks up the 3 equi spaced holes
The PL 100-400 comes from the factory with an integrated mini-hood that slides (see pic below for reference). My guess is that Phil's adapter ring fits over the top of the lens' mini-hood, and is held in place by the three set screws. This then leaves the external threads on the adapter ring exposed, which the 3D printed lens hood screws on to.

Those external threads are far too coarse to thread in to 72mm filter ring present on the PL 100-400.

I guess we'll need to wait for Phil to chime in, but that's how I see the assembly working.

(image from Image Resources review of the PL 100-400)

AussiePhil

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Phil

Hey Ian, i'll quote the first message but really replying to all of them.

ABS purely because i'm setup for and have used ABS for years now, i know it's characteristics and how to make it thin(ish) and strong. I've got a couple of rolls of PC to play with but still struggling to get any decent bed adhesion.
I have a big print run for some PC based stuff if i can nail the bed stuff down... might need to fire up the big delta over winter to work it out.

I wasn't overly concerned about the set screws marking the mini hood that is still on the lens, if it had been attaching directly to the barrel i would have done what Panasonic did on the big hood and provided a metal plate to be pushed by the screw.
I'm going to go back into the design and replicate the same setup as the panasonic hood, seems simple enough...
In the mean time i've already marked mine

Here's the second prototype adapter section off and on the lens
yeah day-glo orange is a little bright but it was loaded in the printer this morning and i couldn't be bothered changing it for prototype printing
I'll likely taper the left hand side as in the photo so it doesn't look quite so "bulky"

Here's it on the lens, yeah i missed focus oops, and the lens front is (was) dusty

AussiePhil

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Phil
The PL 100-400 comes from the factory with an integrated mini-hood that slides (see pic below for reference). My guess is that Phil's adapter ring fits over the top of the lens' mini-hood, and is held in place by the three set screws. This then leaves the external threads on the adapter ring exposed, which the 3D printed lens hood screws on to.

Those external threads are far too coarse to thread in to 72mm filter ring present on the PL 100-400.

I guess we'll need to wait for Phil to chime in, but that's how I see the assembly working.

View attachment 738531
(image from Image Resources review of the PL 100-400)
Nailed it :)

ijm5012

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ian
Hey Ian, i'll quote the first message but really replying to all of them.

ABS purely because i'm setup for and have used ABS for years now, i know it's characteristics and how to make it thin(ish) and strong. I've got a couple of rolls of PC to play with but still struggling to get any decent bed adhesion.
I have a big print run for some PC based stuff if i can nail the bed stuff down... might need to fire up the big delta over winter to work it out.

I wasn't overly concerned about the set screws marking the mini hood that is still on the lens, if it had been attaching directly to the barrel i would have done what Panasonic did on the big hood and provided a metal plate to be pushed by the screw.
I'm going to go back into the design and replicate the same setup as the panasonic hood, seems simple enough...
In the mean time i've already marked mine

Here's the second prototype adapter section off and on the lens
yeah day-glo orange is a little bright but it was loaded in the printer this morning and i couldn't be bothered changing it for prototype printing
I'll likely taper the left hand side as in the photo so it doesn't look quite so "bulky"
View attachment 738532

Here's it on the lens, yeah i missed focus oops, and the lens front is (was) dusty

View attachment 738533
What printer are you using Phil? Does it have a heated bed? I've found that for PC, a heated bed is crucial to prevent peeling/warping during the printing process.

As 3D printer prices continue to fall, I may look at picking one up in a year or two once I get my workshop sorted out at our new house.

AussiePhil

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Phil
What printer are you using Phil? Does it have a heated bed? I've found that for PC, a heated bed is crucial to prevent peeling/warping during the printing process.
As 3D printer prices continue to fall, I may look at picking one up in a year or two once I get my workshop sorted out at our new house.
I have two, my small workhorse for most things is a flashforge creator pro with full metal hot end upgrades, i went and grabbed this photo, good thing to as i had run out of filament for the hood test print at 70% done, brought it in any to check

My other one is a very large Delta printer call MegaHex... here is a video of it in action

Both have fully heated beds, in the video the MegaHex is printing PLA parts for a CNC machine.

AussiePhil

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Phil
Photo of the partially printed test hood fitted on the lens might not be small but it's still light :)

ijm5012

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ian
I have two, my small workhorse for most things is a flashforge creator pro with full metal hot end upgrades

Both have fully heated beds, in the video the MegaHex is printing PLA parts for a CNC machine.
I just had a look, and in the US they're only $700. The build volume is a bit small, but I can't believe how cheap that is!

AussiePhil

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Phil
Well after waiting 10 days for the couriers to get a roll of black 3d print filament between two cities only 600 miles apart i got to print this thing up in black
The adapter section mounted on the lens, the 3D print hood top right and the original metal hood bottom right

And together it looks like ....
_M120102 by Phil Gartner, on Flickr

AussiePhil

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Phil

Panakura

New to Mu-43
great job. Maybe stick some flockpaper on the inside, often used in astro telescopes to minimize reflections

ralf-11

Mu-43 All-Pro
Will you be producing and selling these?

And does the stock "integrated mini-hood" not provide coverage for all focal lengths?

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom