3D printed filter holder for Panasonic 7-14mm lens - anyone interested?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by PhilS, Jan 5, 2015.

1. PhilS

PhilS Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 24, 2012
    Brisbane, Australia
    Phil Savory
    I have been developing a 3D printed filter holder for my friend's Panasonic 7-14mm lens (I have now had it for rather a long time). At the moment I am using some welders mask glass filter as a substitute ND filter and it works well. The result is a strong green tinted image that I colour correct in Photoshop. Generally I convert them to B&W as I cannot get rid of all the green in PS. Additionally I have not yet learn how to deal with the excessive noise that builds up even after 1 minute ( I know I can do dark subtraction in house and it works well). I am looking to get some professional ND filters and i expect the results will be good.

I have made the filter holder modular as i plan for it to be used on a number of different lenses. I still need to make some modifications but that is the beauty of 3D printing.. its all just digital,

If you look at my blog you can see a prototype I made for my 12-35mm. I have printed out a few cool things for my telescope and mount to help with polar aligning but that's another story,.. its a game changing technology.

http://www.philsavoryphotography.com.au/3d-printed-welding-mask-glass-nd-filter-mount/

Here is a sample of a water fall I took over the Xmas holidays using the Panasonic 7-14mm. It was taken using a $2 welders mask glass filter. duration about 56 secs. There was very little light and I was plagued by mosquitoes and therefore did not have much incentive to get a good image The resulting image had so much noise I just crushed it in the blacks. Anyway, the filter holder worked really well.

15976753857_f0b1aae116_b. 56 second long duration exposure with Panasonic 7-14mm & welders mask glass filter by philipsavory, on Flickr

This is another I took using a friends 5DM2. I made a different mount for it.
    [​IMG]Welders mask glass filter in colour Milton Rd Brisbane by philipsavory, on Flickr

Here is an image I took from my balcony using the 7-14mm.

Brisbane_city_with_7-14mm_welders_mask_glass_at_150_secs_small.

This is what the 3D printed filter holder looks like so far. I will make all future prints in black to reduce reflections of the ND filter and back into the lens.

Phil_Savory_Panasonic_7-14mm_filter_holder_00.
    Phil_Savory_Panasonic_7-14mm_filter_holder_01.

So my question is, Is this something that people would want to use. I would be looking to do this on a commercial basis and want to see if there is any interest.

Thanks

PhilS

• Like Like x 5
  2. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    That's a fantastic idea, I would suggest making it a standard conkin or hitech size though as they're pretty common (I think 100x100 is normal?).

I'm sure there would be a decent amount of interest given how annoying the lack of filters can be.

3. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    I'm surprised that you do one minute exposures in daylight. Anything that I've ever shot that involves long exposures for water flow and the like are rarely more than 15 sec, if that. That first shot really could/should have been achieved in a quarter of the exposure time.

4. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    I would be interested in something like this for upcoming Olympus 7-14mm/f2.8 lens..

5. Darren Bonner

Darren Bonner Mu-43 All-Pro

May 1, 2013
    Poole UK
    I would be interested in the Panasonic 7-14 version.

6. biomed

biomed Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 22, 2013
    Seattle area
    Mike
    I would think that most 7-14/4 users would be interested in the filter holder.

7. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Yes, I'd certainly be interested - depending on cost. The Lee filter system has an adapter that will fit the 7-14, but it's pricey.

8. Nam-in-Sonoma

Nam-in-Sonoma Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 23, 2012
    Penngrove, CA
    Nam
    I will be as well. Like someone said you should use standard size filter such as Lee or HiTech 100mm.

9. EarthQuake

EarthQuake Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2013
    Very cool!

I replaced the rear baffle with the one from the Panasonic fisheye so I can use rear gel filters, but that has a UV filter permanently inserted. This would be great for nds, nd grads and probably even polarizers. I probably wouldn't buy one myself (because I don't use filters very often), but I support the development!

• Like Like x 1
  10. tosvus

tosvus Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 4, 2014
    Sorry, can you explain exactly what you mean here? Is it in essence mounted between the lens elements and the sensor?

PS: I think polarizers give a weird effect on ultra-wide angles(?)

To OP, nice initiative! I don't yet own the 7-14, but it is on my radar, and lack of filter threads has been a concern.

• Like Like x 1
  11. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    • Like Like x 2
  12. alainwong

alainwong Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 18, 2012
    Montreal
    I would gladly pay for one for the Panasonic 7-14.

13. PhilS

PhilS Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 24, 2012
    Brisbane, Australia
    Phil Savory
    eteless

I only have the el cheepo $2 welders glass mask which is 110mm_90mm_3mm but I am looking to get a Hitech or equiv. Just a question is the Hitech/lee Big 100mm_100mm_2mm. I know that they are 100mm_100mm but I am unsure of the thickness. Its crucial to know the thickness in order to keep the ND in place.

Can anybody tell me the thickness of a Lee/Hitech.. thanks.

So I will design it so people can use either the professional filters or the welders glass.

Ozray..its the equivalent of a 10 Stop Nd filter or there abouts.. also situated in a rainforest.

Budeny.. keep in contact :)

Darren.. can you contact me philsavory at mozam.com.au. I need a beta tester .. only if you want to

Biomed.. thanks for encouraging me.

pdk42.. cost is going to be stratospheric :).. around $50-60 Aussie dollars. Will take about 4 hours to print the parts.. Can I get feedback on price please.. too expensive/cheap ?? would people be willing to pay

People will need to supply their own NDs

Nam-in-Sonoma.. keep in contact :)

alainwong.. how does the above price sound

Just to wet your appetite here are some more photos i took this early AM around Brisbane. I just graded them in Photoshop. Next I will try lightroom .

16031397279_3795644583_b. Roma Street Parklands - Welders mask Glass ND filter by philipsavory, on Flickr

16216459062_8f845ddbbc_b. Brisbane, River City - Welders mask Glass ND filter by philipsavory, on Flickr

Thanks

PhilS

14. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014

Forgive me if I'm missing something (I haven't done many 3d printed designs), however couldn't you modify the clamp to clamp any thickness by removing some of the middle section so that it hinges on the thicker outside thus clamping any thickness filter?

filter-holder.

Rough mockup of what I mean, the first is how I perceive the current design works. The lower part is sort of what I mean (it's a crude drawing), it would allow for differing thicknesses of filter if the hole the bolt went through was a slight slot allowing it to pivot on the far left protrusion.

Forgive me if I've mistaken what the problem is (and I have no idea of the tensile strength of 3d printed plastics, and thus if a clamp of such a design would last).

• Like Like x 1
  15. Flavio

Flavio New to Mu-43

Apr 30, 2014
    I would definitely be interested in the filter holder, and would be ok with the cost. I'll need to add shipping though!!! [emoji12]

16. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    BTW, question: instead of designing full filter holder, why not to design proper adapter for existing 100mm Lee filter holders? AFAIK, original and generic Lee holders are attaching to 77mm circle, so all that we need to print is something like this:

(Full thread: http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1193693)

17. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    Oh, I forgot that above design still vignette at 7mm. So, the proper adapter will have to work without that "Lee Wide Angle Adapter Ring"

• Like Like x 1
  18. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    I was just curious about your exposure times, as the following shots were taken in a rain forest near Neerim with a ZD11-22mm using a B&W ND 64x (probably 10 stop) at around 15 sec:

_5154831.

_5154803.

Welding glass will never be designed to equal optical glass standards, so any filter holder really needs to be designed around what's available in optical quality glass.

19. MadMarco

MadMarco Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 30, 2014
    Guildford, England
    That looks great, I love what all the new technology can do.

• Like Like x 1
  20. woof

woof Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 18, 2011
    The present.
    [raises hand]
    Oooh! Oooh! I am, I am!
    [/raises hand]

Selling my 7-14mm, but this looks like a nice piece of kit and I am not married to selling the lens. Actually really love what it can do. I hacked a solution together that works really well, but I like this very much. I assume 100 x 100 mm.

What I would like even more, frankly, would be a holder that allows the use of a step up ring so that I can use screw in filters. I am NOT enamored of square filters and already have a significant collection of 77mm glass screw in filters. If that was in the offing I'd take the 7-14mm off the block immediately.

Thanks. this is a nice solution.

• Like Like x 1