3D on OM-D

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Kadmos, Mar 7, 2013.

1. Kadmos

Kadmos Mu-43 Regular

Oct 4, 2012
    Hellooooo, please help me figure this out ..thanks :)

I would like to shoot 3d photos on my OM-D, to be used on something like a stereoscope/view-master. So the final prints/transparencies will be rather small.. So I do not need very large files.What are my options?

I have read a bunch of confusing reviews on the Panasonic 12.5mm f/12 Lumix G 3D on an OM-D.

First would you get two separate images, or a merged 3d one? Coz I think for most available stereoscopes you would need two separate photos right?

Otherwise, I have read that if you cover the 4th contact on the 3D lens, you can shoot 3D movies, as the lens would be treated as a regular lens and it would record a side by side image. Could I use that method in photo mode to get those two separate stills ? Also would I then be able to control ISO shutter speed etc.. as it SCN mode on the olympus the settings are automatic..and would I then be able to use it with strobes? Because one of the complaints was the slowness of the lens. I wish to shoot indoors.

Some of the negative feedback has been also due to the lenses being too close to each other , closer than human eyes reducing the 3d effect. Given I would be shooting close subject (portraits etc..), would that be good enough or would you recommend another lens such as LOREO etc..

2. Kadmos

Kadmos Mu-43 Regular

Oct 4, 2012
    No one????

3. Liamness

Liamness Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 20, 2011
    Just use a normal lens, and put the camera on tripod with a slider (or move the camera yourself) and take two images. Experiment with the stereo separation to get the right look. You can't do this with the 12mm, because the separation is fixed. If you see how they shoot 3D movies, they use rigs that allow the difference to constantly vary. It's very important if you want the effect to be believable and natural.

Oh and use AE lock or manual mode, and set the white balance prior to shooting to ensure the images match.

• Like Like x 1