1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

38 years ago.....

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by silverbullet, Aug 27, 2010.

1. silverbullet

silverbullet Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 10, 2010
    I had a very capable photo-friend, Michael. He studied visual art in Dusseldorf, had two Exactas and a Rolleiflex66.
    In the age of 17 he got first prizes at the Photokina, he had the two-dimensional visuality looking onto 3-dimensional scenarios. From him I learned to make portraits and headshots with wide angle lenses. He normally used his 20mm Flektogon for people photography, believe me or not but his photographs were absolutely outstanding.
    We messed through the cities of Europe, Paris, London, Amsterdam, Dublin and as a reference to Robert Capa, Belfast in it's worst times....

He became one of Germany's best stilllife photographer, after his education he directly was hired from Rosenthal, Germanys best known porcellain manufacturer. He created a totally new style in the expression of these shots.

I for myself, had a profession far away from photography.....

long story short, today I found an image of an irish chap who was portraid by Michael with his Rollei 66 and from me with my NikonF and the 50mm F2 Nikkor.

Michael's photograph kicked off my feet and memories came to the surface....

Here my shot from this gentleman in the pub:

cheers | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

and here Michael's:

50 Jahre Fotogilde Starnberg - 50 ausgewählte Bilder: Michael Tessmann: Portrait

and Michael with his magic Rollei 66:

The girl and the Rollei | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

and here a book photographed by him :

A LA CARTE | AUSZEIT FÜR GENIESSER | HUMMER CUM LAUDE

We didn't meet for more than thirty years.......

Thanks for reading...:smile:

• Like Like x 4
  2. Bullfrog

Bullfrog Mu-43 Top Veteran

Beautiful links. Thank you.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Herman

Herman Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Good morning Bernd. Great article with fond memories of many years ago.
    Does Michael have a website / blog, is he still taking pictures.

4. silverbullet

silverbullet Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 10, 2010
    Thanks Herman.

AFAIK Michael had a big studio in the Frankfurt's Westend.
    Customers as Audemars-Piguet, Faber Sekt and many others beside Rosenthal booked him for their advertisements when he left Rosenthal due to the farway-location of Selb in the southeastern part of Germany.

His hp from the studio is down, I guess that Michael has retired, he is now around 60 years old, slightly younger than I am.

5. Rudi

Rudi Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 16, 2010
    Australia
    Great story, great photos. This is the great thing about photography - still photographs have a way of bringing back so many memories! It really is a case of each picture being worth a thousand words...

Thanks for sharing this with us, Bernd!

• Like Like x 1