35mm negative scanner

gwydionjhr

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Joel
For those of you using your ILC + Macro, has anyone tried Negative Lab Pro yet? @The Grumpy Snapper @Andy H. @Bytesmiths

https://www.negativelabpro.com/

A friend and I are scanning as many of the negatives/slides as we can get our hands on from a youth group we traveled with 25+ years ago. So far between the two of us we're past 20,000 images. We're not looking for the best possible quality, and I'm satisfied with the Epson v550. It does pretty well on the cost-vs-volume-vs-quality ven diagram.

Last edited:

The Grumpy Snapper

Mu-43 Veteran
For those of you using your ILC + Macro, has anyone tried Negative Lab Pro yet? @The Grumpy Snapper @Andy H. @Bytesmiths

A friend and I are scanning as many of the negatives/slides as we can get our hands on from a youth group we traveled with 25+ years ago. So far between the two of us we're past 20,000 images. We're not looking for the best possible quality, and I've quite satisfied with the Epson v550. It does pretty well on the cost-vs-volume-vs-quality ven diagram.
All my copies are Kodachrome and later Velvia slides.

Ranger Rick

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Rick

A friend and I are scanning as many of the negatives/slides as we can get our hands on from a youth group we traveled with 25+ years ago. So far between the two of us we're past 20,000 images. We're not looking for the best possible quality, and I'm satisfied with the Epson v550. It does pretty well on the cost-vs-volume-vs-quality ven diagram.
https://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=161028

look at last 3-4 pages

Last edited:

agentlossing

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Andrew Lossing
I got an Epson V550 on a great deal (I think it was $139 refurbished on Adorama), and it's pretty good. I expect I am losing some crispness from what a pro level drum scanner could do, but I scan the files at very high definition (9600 DPI, most likely complete overkill) and they take tweaking contrast and sharpness really well.

junkyardsparkle

haunted scrap heap
K.I.S.S. The ShotCopy works great with my GX85 / 30mm Macro combo! :2thumbs:
My junkyard build for a few rolls I needed to "scan" recently was similar, using the 60mm macro at f/7, and the home-made film carrier mounted on the end of an internally flocked tube which was then slid over the lens and taped in place. I kept the bounce surface for the lighting about half a meter away, and used a camera-mounted flash for the light source. Stacking some cyan Wratten gels on the flash can really help to balance the orange mask enough to get the RGB channels in the same exposure ballpark (since you can't vary the exposure-per-channel the way a film scanner would). Results were great (much better than any flatbed+transparency adapter I've ever used) but I wouldn't want to do hundreds of rolls that way... :rolleyes:

ADemuth

Mu-43 Veteran
Another ILC + enlarger user here, though I've only done slides. I'm currently doing 7000+ slides that my grandfather took on his travels. When I get a rhythm going, I can "scan" a slide every 4 seconds - I'm guessing negatives would take much, much longer though.

@junkyardsparkle : I plan on using this build for negatives soon - I plan on shooting mostly black and white, but it seems like developing color myself isn't out of reach, both technically and financially, and with your input, digitizing them seems doable too. I'm thinking of throwing some gels in the tray between the collminator and the negative and then??? Do you get it sort of close IRL on an unexposed and developed negative then do a white balance to get it the rest of the way there? The orange mask has always confounded me.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited:

junkyardsparkle

haunted scrap heap
Do you get it sort of close IRL on an unexposed and developed negative then do a white balance to get it the rest of the way there? The orange mask has always confounded me.
Yeah, there's always going to be work to do in software, probably more than just invert+WB... I spent a little time using the RGB curves in darktable to adjust each film type to taste (it helps if you have a good variety of scenes to check against). In my case the idea was to get the best capture possible for further processing, not so much to "get it right in-camera". Adjusting the light source to approximately balance the orange mask allows you to get all channels conservatively exposed towards the right, rather than having to carefully spread the dynamic range between a strongly exposed red channel and a weakly exposed blue one. This probably becomes a little more worth thinking about when using a small-ish sensor with a base 200 ISO. I'm sure somebody out there with old-school darkroom skills has probably taken this further, but I'm a software monkey and was happy with "good enough data to work with". :D

ADemuth

Mu-43 Veteran
Cool. I'm not looking for a one and done curve set, just a really solid baseline, I'll bet there's monkeying around for even the best professional scanners. I'm likely to want a different feel from scene to scene anyway, though it would be nice to get the right balance for the flavor of film I'm using - that's quite a bit of the draw of shooting color film for me.

ADemuth

Mu-43 Veteran
So all of this had me thinking, and all of that thinking was early morning thinking, so bear with me.

What if you applied something like this to camera scanning?

https://github.com/lighttransport/colorcorrectionmatrix

I think to to get the right color rendition for your flavor of film, you'd have to take a picture of the calibration chart with the film you are trying to match and have it developed and scanned at a reputable source. Then use the values of that professionally scanned chart (since I'm trying to match the look and color rendition of the film, and not trying to get true to life colors) as the standard by which you are trying to correct that same negative when you photo scan it? (possibly after an invert) then you could apply the color correction gained from that to all photos of that film type?

Someone with a whole lot more smarts and experience care to chime in?

gwydionjhr

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Joel
I got an Epson V550 on a great deal (I think it was $139 refurbished on Adorama), and it's pretty good. I expect I am losing some crispness from what a pro level drum scanner could do, but I scan the files at very high definition (9600 DPI, most likely complete overkill) and they take tweaking contrast and sharpness really well.
Double check, but I'm pretty sure the v550's actual optical resolution tops out at 4800dpi.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom