1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

35mm lens recommendations for video? Canon FD alternatives

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by peripatew, Nov 11, 2011.

1. peripatew

peripatew Mu-43 Regular

Nov 21, 2010
    I'm testing a mint FD 35mm/2 S.C.C. It's really great. And I think it's a steal for $200. I ordered a Samyang 35mm/1.4, and I like it, but it is HUGE. And so far, for video, it's pretty compatible with sharpness and contrast, but I need to do some more testing.

What are some other 35mm options out there for $200-300? I had the current Nikon 35mm/1.8 for my D3100, but I'm looking for lenses with manual aperture and smoooooth focusing.

I'd like something faster than F2, thoughts?

2. robertro

robertro Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 22, 2010
    The Canon FD is a decent lens optically, but if you can live with the size, the 1.4 of the Samyang seems to be very solid. I have a Super Takumar 35 f2 and a Vivitar 35 f1.9; both are nice optically and great for smooth focusing for video. They're occasionally available on eBay; I'll should probably post one on the for sale forum at some point - I don't need two similar lenses - I just can't figure out which!

Anything faster will cost substantially more; if I were going to spend more, I'd look for Voigtlander 35/1.4 or 35/1.2.