35mm f2.8 OM Zuiko

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Lawrence A., May 12, 2012.

1. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    I should probably wait until I have some real photographs to start this thread, but the lens arrived today and I'm anxious to share some of the initial results. I had this lens years ago, but sold it because I never used it, going instead from 50 to 28 when I need something wide.

On the m4/3 system, however, it is a FOV that I like a lot, equivalent to 70mm on my OM-1. I had the 4/3 35mm macro, sharp as a tack but with enough auto focus issues to be essentially a manual focus lens. I sold it to offset the purchase of the PL 25mm f1.4. Still, there are times when 25 is too wide and 45 (I have the lovely Ollie f1.8) is too long, where the 35 is just right. So I reacquired this old Zuiko, that I remember being sharp, and I'm delighted. I haven't left the house with it yet, so here are a couple of quick snaps taken until I do.

Does anyone else use this lens on m 4/3 cameras?

Peggy_OM_Zuiko_35mm. [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  2. mr_botak

mr_botak Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 4, 2011
    Reading, UK
    David
    Ah another 70mm enthusiast! I've always liked this length, I've used both the OM 35/2.8 and the 35/2 over the past few months. They are both very nice lenses, ultimately the 35/2 has won - seems to be more contrasty, but probably slightly softer. Both lenses work very well for portraits, with pleasant bokeh for a six blade design.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Lawrence A.

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    Maybe you have a mutli-coated f2 and a single coated f2.8? Mine is the single coated silver nose 2.8. It's perfect for me, as I've discovered I like the look of single coated lenses in my own work, and have spent a lot of my photographic processing time -- both film and digital -- trying to restrain contrast. My ideal lens would have lots of resolving power but a bit less contrast than a lot of modern glass. My favorite all time camera lenses were three Zeiss Hasselblad lenses from the 1950's that I used with an old 1000F. I still regret having to sell the kit for home repairs during a bleak economic spell.

But yes, the 70mm FOV often seems like a perfect normal. Maybe wearing glasses for the past 48 years, since I was 12, has narrowed the frame for me, but I do love the focal length.

4. mr_botak

mr_botak Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 4, 2011
    Reading, UK
    David
    Yes the f2.8 is a single coated lens. My copy of the f2 is one of the last made featuring NMC, and is considerably more contrasty which suits my preference.

Interesting about the glasses - same as me. Around 70mm seems to reflect the way I see the world.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Lawrence A.

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    Had the opportunity to shoot with this lens, and my first impressions hold: I like it a lot on the E-M5. Most of the shots are lingering unattended, but I did manage to process this one:

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  6. Lawrence A.

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    Another from the same series with the same lens[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1