1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

35mm Equivalent?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by derelict, May 22, 2015.

1. derelict

derelict Mu-43 Regular

May 5, 2015
    I went through my Flickr and saw that one of my most used lenses was my DA35/2.4 when using my DSLR. I am looking to pick up an equivalent to that. Suggestions?

edit: I have just spent my time looking through the Panasonic 20/ 1.7 showcase page. Any AF issues with this one? I shoot in AF with MF focus peaking. Can I still do this with the Panasonic lens?

Last edited: May 22, 2015
  2. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    To answer your first question, a 35mm on a APS-C sensor works out to roughly a 50mm equivalent in 35mm terms. On a Four Thirds sensor you'd want to look for a 25mm lens to get roughly the same field of view. There are two good options at that focal length: the Olympus 25/1.8 and the Panasonic-Leica 25/1.4. To me deciding between the two of those comes down to a question of speed versus size -- the PL25 is a bit bigger and bulkier than the O25, but it gives you an extra 2/3 stop of light gathering capability.

The Panasonic 20mm is going to be a bit wider than your DA35. In terms of AF speed the P20 is considerably worse than either of the 25mm options. It can sometimes take a while to nail focus, particularly in low light. It can definitely be manually focused as you describe (as can either of the others as well), although of the three I would say that the P20 is the least satisfying to focus from a tactile standpoint. The focus ring (at least on my first generation copy) tends to not move quite as smoothly as I would like. That said, the pancake form factor is really nice and it produces great images.

Last edited: May 22, 2015
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    With respect to the 20mm's AF, what kind of body do you have? As a rule, it seems Panasonic users are very happy with the AF speed (I certainly am - on my GX1 and GX7 it is actually very fast), whereas users of Olympus bodies are generally disappointed.

Therefore, my recommendation of the 20mm is an unabashed yes for Panasonic bodies, but with reservations for Olympus bodies.

4. derelict

derelict Mu-43 Regular

May 5, 2015
    I am using an EM10

5. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    I have the Olympus 25mm f1.8 for my EM10 and couldn't be happier with it. So I'd definitely recommend that lens. I've only had cursory use of the Panasonic 20mm.

If you're used to the 50mm equivalent field of view you may find the 40mm equiv of the Panasonic to be unusually wide. Using the Konica 40mm pancake lens on my film SLR was initially like that; although I found it easy enough to adapt with a bit of time.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    The both 25mm lenses from Oly and Panasonic are very good. As others have mentioned, it will come down really to size and price. I have the Olympus and use it a ton. Can't go wrong either way.

7. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

35x1.5 = 52.5mm. With the 2x crop factor on m4/3 that works out to about 26mm. Obviously we don't have any 26mm options, but there are two 25mm and two 30mm options. The Panasonic 20mm would be the same as a 27mm lens on your Pentax, so you may find that wider than you are expecting.

I would say check out these options depending on aperture and focal length preference (And budget).

Olympus 25mm f1.8
    Panasonic Leica 25mm f1.4
    Sigma 30mm f2.8 (very, very cheap on used market)
    Panasonic 30mm f2.8 Macro (does 1:1 macro and has optical image stabilization)

As long as you don't shoot anything moving. AF-C is actually disabled on Panasonic bodies with this lens. It's quick enough for non-action shots.

8. dwig

dwig Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 26, 2010
    Key West FL
    Actually, in the real world that level of precision is inappropriate. The scaling factors used apply to the angle of view along the image diagonal. When you compare m4/3 (4:3 aspect ratio) to APS-c and FF (3:2 aspect ratio) you get a range of different "crop factors"; one for the diagonal, one for comparing images cropped to 4:3, one for comparing images cropped to 3:2, and a range of factors for crops to other shapes. The "crop factor" for FF <> m4/3 is a range between around 1.8x to 2.1x depending on what you compare.

You also need to consider that the marked nominal FL of a lens is no more accurate than +/- 5%, sometimes more with zooms. Most "50mm" lenses for FF are actually closer to 52mm.

Rounded to the nearest mm, if you crop m4/3 to the 3:2 aspect ratio of APS-c/FF then a 25mm lens is the equivalent of a 35mm on APS-c or a 52mm on FF.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. derelict

derelict Mu-43 Regular

May 5, 2015
    I use my 50/1.7 a LOT on my film body. It is the one that I load up first. Then I carry a 28/ 2.8 as a wider option. I mainly shoot car shows and my daughter so a ~35mm equivalent would be ideal to have. I have the kit IIR zoom (which I quite like) and the 45/ 1.8 already. So, the 17 and 20 would be closer to my 28?

10. tkbslc

28mm on film? No. With m4/3 there is a 2x crop factor. If you want to compare lenses between film and m4/3 you just divide your film focal lengths by 2 and that's the m4/3 focal length you'd want for the same view.

28mm divided by 2 is 14mm. There is the good, tiny and cheap 14mm f2.5 or the superb Panasonic Leica 15mm f1.7 at about that focal length.

It gets a bit confusing since in this thread you have mentioned Pentax APS-C, 35mm film and now a 4/3 sensor. So we have 3 formats with different sizes to compare. So: 50mm on film = ~35mm on APS-C = ~25mm on 4/3. 28mm on film = ~19mm on APS-C = ~14mm on 4/3.

The 20mm on m4/3 would be like a 27mm on APS-C and a 40mm on film. 17mm would be like 24mm on APS-C or 35mm on film.

Clear as mud? :biggrin:

11. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Here's another vote for the Sigma 30mmf2.8 : very good lens at a great price. Buy it, try it.
    If that's too narrow you have the other more expensive options.

12. derelict

derelict Mu-43 Regular

May 5, 2015
    Yeah, sorry about that. I just generally find that I like the two. On APS-C, 35mm was my go to for most car shows. My 50 was for bokeh type things. Basically, I am looking for an APS-C equivalent for the 35mm (actively shopping for a 25-30 in M4/3) and a ~19-21mm on APS-C. The 45/ 1.8 is a fantastic lens. Now I just need to fill in the lower gaps...or at least, thats how I reason the lens buying addiction. The 35mm equiv. is just my first step...in a hopefully not 7 step program...

13. tkbslc

Sounds like the Panasonic 14mm f2.5 would be ideal for your wider lens.

If you like the 45mm f1.8, the 25mm f1.8 is a well matched partner to that lens. They look and act like they belong together in a set.

14. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    The Panasonic 12-32mm might be a good bet, as well. Not much larger than the 14mm, not much more expensive, not much slower at the same focal length (well, 1 stop), and nicely flexible, especially with a legitimate wide angle included. Also just as sharp (and maybe even better).

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. MMouse

MMouse Mu-43 Regular

Mar 29, 2015
    The only real 35 mm equivalent is the 17 mm Olympus. It's a good lens :)

16. Jfrader

Jfrader Guest

Your math is off. His Pentax is a 1.5 crop factor. The two 25's are the only "real equivalent."

17. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    The 25s are your closest match. Fortunately for you, the two 25s are excellent lenses. I have the Oly 25 and it's a great match to the EM10. Light, sharp, and quick to focus.

18. derelict

derelict Mu-43 Regular

May 5, 2015
    I have a 14/ 2.5, 30/ 2.8, and 45/ 1.8. It has set me up for wide, medium, and narrow. 100% happy. Considering looking for a telephoto prime now. Somewhere around 85 in M4/3.

19. MMouse

MMouse Mu-43 Regular

Mar 29, 2015
    Sorry, I didn't understood.
    The 25 mm Olympus is very good, and the Panasonic has a terrible reputation so... I think there is no wrong choice :)