35-100 or E-M5II re:Video Stabilization

Discussion in 'This or That?' started by tkbslc, Dec 18, 2015.

1. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

So my daughter had a nice Christmas choir concert last night. Took the GX7 and 75mm. Worked perfectly for stills, but a still of singing doesn't quite capture the moment. I took some video, knowing stabilization might be an issue. Boy, was I right. It is unwatchable without taking some Dramamine first.

I'm kind of wondering if maybe I should swap from GX7 to an E-M5 II so I can get stabilized video? Or maybe swap my 75mm to a 35-100 instead? I really like my camera and lenses, though. I just need something that does solid low light video for events/sports, etc that reaches out to 135-200mm equivalent or more.

I honestly didn't know the IBIS didn't work for video when I bought the GX7, and that has continued to be an unpleasant surprise.
  2. WendyK

WendyK Super Moderator

Feb 28, 2014
    Northern Virginia
    Do you have a monopod? I have found them very useful for video of school concerts, where spectator seating is often quite tight. Mine is part of my MeFoto RoadTrip, which converts to a monopod. That would be an alternative to swapping cameras or lenses.

Edited to add that the stability of a monopod helps me focus less on recording video and more on the music.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. jimr.pdx

jimr.pdx Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 5, 2010
    near Longview ~1hr from PDX
    Jim R
    All reports and images from the 35-100 are excellent. Once my G7 probation period ends and it shows it can handle pretty much anything I do imagically o_O that lens will be its reward!
  4. m43happy

m43happy Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 18, 2012
    If you're happy with the GX7, then I'd say get the 35-100 f2.8. If you want a newer camera w/ a few extra bells and whistles that'll provide IS for all your lenses, then go with the E-M5ii.
  5. listers_nz

listers_nz Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 22, 2013
    Christchurch, New Zealand
    I've got the 35-100 on a GX7 and use it for videoing my daughter's figure skating, i.e. indoors in variable lighting conditions, etc. The lens is excellent, and I certainly have no complaints with its stabilisation. While I'm not likely to win any academy awards for my videos :), they are certainly watchable.
  6. cptobvious

cptobvious Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 8, 2013
    I'm not that impressed with Panasonic's Mega OIS or whatever it's called on the 12-35 and 35-100. It works, but Oly's IBIS blows it away. I have both lenses and leave lens IS off when shooting on an Oly body. I'd go with the E-M5 II personally. Too bad Oly's video isn't as good as Pany's.
  7. tkbslc

I'm VERY happy with the 75mm f1.8, too, though! And my 15mm and 25mm primes still do shaky video, but not quite as pronounced. I can usually smooth those out with software.

I don't really want to spend a ton upgrading, but the E-M5 II is the only Olympus that does video about as well as the GX7 and other non-4k Panasonics.
  8. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012

Have both at the moment. The IBIS is definitely handy in this situation. The video above is with EM5-2 and the 75mm. Sorry about the poor focus, I managed to remap buttons to remove auto-focus control and was not used to the way Olympus does focus peaking. Please note the very cool digital zoom option that you can use during video that Panasonic does not have. I would say the fact that Olympus viewfinder is on the same axis as lens also helps with more stable handholding. the GX7 is not ideal for that with its side viewfinder. GX1 was better for that. I was getting decently stable results from GX1 + Canon FD 85mm/1.8 with viewfinder jammed into forehead and good handholding technique.
    if you plan to do more of the concert videos, the fact that EM5 has mic input is nice.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    I don't know how critical you are with video, but I would say Olympus is still not on the same level. Most people seem to agree.
  10. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    I know Pany is known for video, but I've been plenty satisfied with video from my e-m1. IBIS works great.

Have you seen the prices of e-m1s lately? Shop with a little patients and you may find one under $600.

Might be a better investment than a lens. If the 75 is long enough for you then I'd wager an E-m1 with the 75 will produce a better video than gx-7 and a 2.8 lens.
  11. tkbslc

Still torn on this. Getting more frustrated with shaky video.

Check out this GH4 vs E-M5 II stabilization test. He even has an OIS lens on the GH4. Imagine me over here with no OIS on most of my lenses! At about 5:00 he switches to a sample from the GH4 with Adobe warp stabilizer applied. Looks like it takes expensive software AND a stabilized lens to not quite equal the 5-axis IBIS.

Strongly considering a E-M5 II swap after seeing this. It's super impressive.
  12. JDK504

JDK504 Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 28, 2013
    I had pany G3 and I tried all kinds on contraptions to get steady video. I tried a steady cam rig, although good it was wonky at no mf bc rig would not be steady. I tried jamming camera against my head and hands but it hurt after a while. By far the best was a monopod hooked around my waist but the big problem was I couldn't get walking shots. If you want to stand still and get steady video it works great but you do look a bit silly lol. After a year of doing that I felt I was missing shots with motion (following my kids) and I was tired of the setup and clunkyness.

Having the nocticron with ios helped but I felt I was closer to what I wanted to achieve but not quite there. I never considered Olympus bc shooting video was as important as stills. The em5 II changed all that! The video quality is more than I needed or expected. It's not gh4 but what is. I am able to get silky smooth shots standing still with my nocticron (it's blows away the ois). I'm able to get smooth walking shots. It's truly amazing. I don't use steadying software in post bc I don't need too!
    Search Vimeo for examples and the web.

I made the switch and love the other features as well. If you can swing it then do it! If not there are other options. Mono pod on a belt had been my best contraption. Check out cheesycam.com

Good luck!
    • Useful Useful x 1
  13. tkbslc

I've also been looking at em10 ii as a cheaper alternative since I don't need sealing. Seems to have same stabilization and video quality.