35-100 in stock, who's buying?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by ~tc~, Nov 1, 2012.

1. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Got an email from DigitalRev last night that they have the 35-100/2.8 in stock.

Who is ordering?

Lets see some sample images - I'm particularly interested in the short focus, for flowers mostly. If this will work, I will remove the 45/2.8 from my travel kit.
  2. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    I am interested in the 35-100, but won't buy now. I will wait until a number of reviews and user experience reports convince me that the lens is OK. At the time I jumped at the Panny 45-175 very early only to discover that the lens has a serious and insoluble OIS issue; Panasonic doesn't get the benefit of the doubt from me anymore.
  3. Hudsonhites

Hudsonhites Mu-43 Regular

Jul 14, 2011
    I'm still waiting for the Great Pumpkin the micro4/3 version of the Olympus 50-200mm.
    I'd even settle for a constant f4 aperture
  4. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    Have one on order.
  5. Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 15, 2011
    Aberdeen Scotland
    Got one on order too, hopefully be in stock anytime now.

6. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    For MY needs, I can't justify the cost right now. Maybe if the price drops next year, or if one of you early adopters decides to sell used....
  7. wildwildwes

wildwildwes Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 9, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    hmmm... According to Roger's test, the lens softens up quite a bit starting around 70mm... At 100mm he asserts that its only 87.6% as sharp as it is at its opposite focal length extreme (35mm). That's too bad. It's an expensive lens, but if optically superb throughout its range, it would be a no-brainer for me. It's a focal length combination I reach for a lot when shooting with my Nikon FX gear... :doh:

I guess the bottom line is that despite the short-comings of some of these exciting new optics, zoom-lens technology has made quantum leaps in terms of performance prowess -- affording us some amazing glass with which to render our images! That said, we're all definitely better off as a result... :thumbup:
  8. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    That's right, but you have to read all of Roger's comments in context. So far, he's very positive about the lens. I saw nothing that's going to keep me from buying one as soon as it's available from US dealers.
  9. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    For what I'm shooting now, primes work well. After reading Rogers write up I'm glad I went for the 75/1.8.
  10. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    You know, my needs are constantly changing. At one time I wanted an E-510 with E-3 weather sealing, finger/thumb dials, and large/bright pentaprism viewfinder. I was using high grade Zuiko zooms, and an OM-D E-M5 with Lumix X 12-35mm/2.8 and Lumix X 35-100mm/2.8 would have far exceeded my expectations to replace my entire kit. I would have bought a few of the bodies, both those zooms, and a number of primes to go with them.

However, while growing up with the Pen system as it was developing, I had to make changes to my system in order to compensate for the parts which were still "in development" (as we can all see now were in the works, as they've finally been realized). Now I've ended up with a whole bunch of Minis, and even the E-M5 is no longer small enough for me. I've ended up with a whole bunch of primes, and the zooms are no longer fast enough for me. I've adapted to new ways now, and I'm not sure if I really need to go back to the old type of system I was used to.
  11. hankbaskett

hankbaskett Mu-43 Regular

Aug 21, 2012
    I've got the set of nice tele primes (45/60/75), so I'm going to sit this one out for now.
  12. wildwildwes

wildwildwes Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 9, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    I agree, primes are great and whenever possible to shoot with them, I do. There are many times however when it's just not convenient to stop what you're shooting to reach into your bag, find the prime lens you wish to use, and then remove the lens currently on your camera body, put it away, attach the new lens and then resume taking your shot! When you're on the go, or shooting in the street, it's REALLY nice to have a couple of fast zooms that can otherwise cover the range of ones primes... For me, the ideal situation would be the 12-35 / 35-100 straight 2.8 zooms. Like I opined earlier in this thread, I'm disappointed that the new zoom isn't as "good" as its wider companion lens... That said, $1500 buys A LOT of prime glass!
  13. meyerweb

Sep 5, 2011
    Primes are great when your purpose is photography, and you have a fair bit of flexibility in changing your shooting position to match your lenses.

Zooms are great when your purpose is a vacation, or an afternoon out with friends, and you really can't spend all the time in the world focusing on your photography, changing lenses, etc. They're also great when your shooting position is going to be limited, and the subjects are constantly changing. Sporting events, for example.

It would be wrong, I think, to say that either type of lens is "better." Both types involved compromises, and each is better for some uses, and some photographers. In an ideal world, I'd own a closet full of primes and zooms.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. strang

strang Mu-43 Veteran

May 7, 2012
    I really wanted the 35-100, but I'm waiting on more reviews and I'm also waiting on price drops.

I would also need to sell some of my lenses to make room for it. The 14-150 and 45 would probably have to go. I don't know if I want to truly give up the convenience of having the 14-150.
  15. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    I'm in the running for one. But I don't drop $1700.00 sight unseen and on the basis of just a couple of reviews.

So I'm sitting on my hands for a few weeks to see a wider range of opinions and hopefully to get a hands on with one. But I see this lens in the kit before Christmas. It's the lens I've been saying I had to have for over two years now. So I suppose I have to have it.

p.s. I still prefer Oly lenses. So if a 55-200 2.8-3.5 should appear out of the woodwork..........
  16. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    I'm gonna wait for one of you to sell it for me at a loss of a few hundred dollars. Thanks in advance! :rofl: I'm actually holding out for an Oly 50-200 native.
  17. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    I'd rather have the Lumix 150 ƒ2.8......YMMV though :smile:
  18. meyerweb

Sep 5, 2011
    That's very tempting, indeed. I wonder how much IT will cost.
  19. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Yeah, it is a lot. For another $800 you could get a Zuiko 35-100mm f/2 brand new at full MSRP. Used, you can get it for less than the new Lumix X.