$324 Panasonic GX1 body only Amazon warehouse

crsnydertx

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Chuck
The GX1 is almost exactly the same thickness as the GH3 with lens attached, but is a few mm longer. To me, thickness is the critical number--it determines how easily a camera slips into/out of a pocket (yes, that's where I carry mine a lot of the time).

The GX1/GH3 is actually thinner than the E-PM1.

Do you mean GF3?

crsnydertx

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Chuck
Mellow, with what lens attached do you find the GX1 to be pocketable? I'm guessing the 14mm or 20mm pancakes...

I still shudder when I think of a precision instrument riding unprotected in a pocket, but....horses for courses!

Mellow

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Tom
Mellow, with what lens attached do you find the GX1 to be pocketable? I'm guessing the 14mm or 20mm pancakes...

I still shudder when I think of a precision instrument riding unprotected in a pocket, but....horses for courses!

I don't actually own a GX1 . . . yet! I just ordered one 'like new' from Amazon which should be arriving in a few days. However, I have owned both a GF2 and EPM1, so I know how they compare size-wise. And the GX1 specs and pictures show it to be pretty much the same thickness as the GF2 (e.g., Compare camera dimensions side by side).

Since the GX1 is actually thinner than the PM1, I'm pretty sure it will be at least as pocketable as the PM1, which practically lived in my front pocket for much of the summer. As you say, it's only pocketable with a pancake lens attached, and since thickness is the critical dimension the 14mm is significantly better than the 20mm. That's the way I create my 'pocketable' camera--small body + 14mm. And with a lens cap attached it's actually quite durable; I've never had any problems. I've even accidently put it in the same pocket with keys and coins and not noticed any marring of the screen.

Amin

Mu-43 Legend
That would be me, and that's the drawback of being an early adopter. When I feel any regret, I look through the pictures I've taken since owning the gx1 and that helps

Yep, I was an early adopter of the GH1, GH2, G1, and E-P3. Each time I sold at a loss that was easily acceptable to me when looking at the photos and also reflecting on the enjoyment of using the camera. Other times I was a late adopter (GF3, GX1) and missed the early fun but got a great price. Either way, there's some good, some bad, and no regrets for me.

crsnydertx

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Chuck
I don't actually own a GX1 . . . yet! I just ordered one 'like new' from Amazon which should be arriving in a few days. However, I have owned both a GF2 and EPM1, so I know how they compare size-wise. And the GX1 specs and pictures show it to be pretty much the same thickness as the GF2 (e.g., Compare camera dimensions side by side).

Since the GX1 is actually thinner than the PM1, I'm pretty sure it will be at least as pocketable as the PM1, which practically lived in my front pocket for much of the summer. As you say, it's only pocketable with a pancake lens attached, and since thickness is the critical dimension the 14mm is significantly better than the 20mm. That's the way I create my 'pocketable' camera--small body + 14mm. And with a lens cap attached it's actually quite durable; I've never had any problems. I've even accidently put it in the same pocket with keys and coins and not noticed any marring of the screen.

I must fully disclose that I did indeed use a dedicated hip pocket on my cargo shorts to carry an E-PM1 with 14mm lens during my recently completed vacation. The GX1 is indeed slightly thinner when you take into account the lens mount. Good observation on your part!

Ray Sachs

Super Moderator
This has got to be the shortest transition from "hot new thing" to "sidewalk clearance sale" of any camera I can recall. I wonder if they just sold roughly NONE of them and are now ready to come out with the rumored GX2 so they just want to get rid of as many of them as they can and cut their losses. Would be an amazingly good second body for someone looking for that...

-Ray

spinyman

Mu-43 Top Veteran
This has got to be the shortest transition from "hot new thing" to "sidewalk clearance sale" of any camera I can recall. I wonder if they just sold roughly NONE of them and are now ready to come out with the rumored GX2 so they just want to get rid of as many of them as they can and cut their losses. Would be an amazingly good second body for someone looking for that...

-Ray

I was thinking the same thing.I just sold my G3 after several months of fun and only lost the price of a good meal.

carpandean

Mu-43 Top Veteran
The GX1 is an odd one for pricing. The internals are basically the same as the G3's, so the comparison is basically: built-in viewfinder and swivel screen vs. better build, more controls, better grip and option to add-on a viewfinder. The GX1's advantages are likely less obvious to many consumers than the G3's.

That said, you can get similar deals on the G3 body as this one, so its price with a viewfinder is still $150+ less than the GX1 with its viewfinder. That means that the build, grip and controls, plus the potential to make it smaller (no EVF) when needed is worth $150 more than a flip-out screen.

The other part is that it is seeing the impact of increased competition since its release. It will be interesting to see how long the G5 holds its premium price. Though, really, if it is a GH2.5 as Panny stated, then it's already be sold at a lower price point.

DHart

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Don
Note that the fire-sale pricing applies to USED GX1 bodies, not to new ones. So I wouldn't exactly take this as a rapid transition from introduction to end of lifecycle.

I am looking forward to what I hope the GX2 will offer: built-in EVF (without a hump), viewing aperture on the left side of the body, G5 sensor and processor, articulating LCD screen. That would instantly make the GX2 model one of the VERY hottest cameras in the format... perhaps THE hottest! :smile: Nice as the EM-5 is, I'm not so thrilled with the throw-back form factor. The body that will really set this format into major orbit will be one which offers the features of the NEX 7 - hopefully we'll see that from either Pany or Oly soon.

crsnydertx

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Chuck
Don, the new body price at $399 this week from Kenmore certainly is close to "fire sale" territory - at least close enough for me!

DHart

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Don
Chuck... yes, $400 is an attractive price for such a nice body and if I wanted one, I'd like that price. But one might glance at the title of this thread, without going and studying the link, and think that new GX1 bodies are being sold for $324, and they are not.

Used GX1 bodies at $324 is pretty close to what used G3 bodies are selling for (about $345), so I think there's plenty of room for used GX1 bodies to fall below $300 - and don't doubt that they will be there before too long.

I just sold my G3 body which was in superb condition for $345 on eBay, as I hope to receive my silver G5 in a week or two. Now awaiting what the GX2 and E-PL5 will be like! :smile: Still holding out hope for a NEX 7 type of body from Pany or Oly, perhaps announced at Photokina.

crsnydertx

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Chuck
Don, is the G5 that close to market availability, or do you have a friend on the inside??:smile:

DHart

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Don
Chuck... I pre-ordered from B&H as soon as they opened that possibility and they estimated delivery at August 16th, if I recall correctly. Now, B&H is stating availability Aug 20th. Of course, I really have no idea when it will actually arrive.

I'm fine with letting the G3 go now, as until my G5 arrives, I still have a GH2, E-PL3, and E-M5 to resort to. :wink:

The G5 offers a lot of very attractive upgrades over the G3 (silent electronic shutter, 1080 60p video for great and easy slo-mo video, 920k LCD resolution, new programmable function lever, HDR feature, improved ergonomics, new grip, improved sensor, better processor, etc.), so I'm eagerly anticipating it. The G3 is a great camera, but the G5 definitely takes it to a whole new level of performance and features. And it will be nice to have at least one silver body, for a change. I think the silver G5 looks stunning. :smile:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/880964-REG/Panasonic_dmc_g5ks_Lumix_G5_Digital_Camera.html

crsnydertx

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Chuck
Don, I don't see a body-only option on B&H. Wasn't that supposed to be one of the offerings? Maybe later...

lenshoarder

Mu-43 All-Pro
Note that the fire-sale pricing applies to USED GX1 bodies, not to new ones. So I wouldn't exactly take this as a rapid transition from introduction to end of lifecycle.

There's used and there's used. I would consider things sold at Amazon Warehouse that's rated "very good" or "like new" to be effectively new. In fact, they can be new. Much like Lenovo, if Amazon sends something out and it get's returned they will sell it as used even if it's never been opened. The things I've gotten have generally had only a handful of shutter activations. Back when there were mom and pop camera stores, the "new" cameras I got from them would have more use.

M

michaeln

Don, the new body price at $399 this week from Kenmore certainly is close to "fire sale" territory - at least close enough for me!

That deal is over. They no longer have any body-only GX1s listed, and they are selling ones with kit lenses at normal prices.

Latest threads

Top Bottom