32 Normal Lenses Test - 1977

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by chicks, Jun 7, 2012.

1. chicks

chicks Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 1, 2012
    The Big Valley, CA
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    Cute. While examining aerial images on a optical bench with a focus telescope is a lot of fun, the subjective nature of the tests would make them very loose guides.
  3. Brian S

Brian S Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 11, 2009
    I have the original of that article, had a subscription at the time.

I would not classify these as subjective tests as actual measurements of lens performance is given. These are more of an objective test- the same tests along with each result for the 32 lenses, and each lens grouped with those similar to it.

Note how well the Konica 50/1.7 did compared to others. These days, the $25 lens compares well with the now-going-for $800 Summicron of the the same vintage.
  4. ckrueger

ckrueger Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 16, 2011
    Wow, I bet they blew through a lot of film on THAT test!
  5. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Thanks for digging this up and posting it. It's definitely nice to find some concrete performance measurements on these legacy lenses. What's interesting is that the article notes that readers are going to want to use these to compare lenses within each manufacturer/mount (since presumably the reader already has one particular body). However with the ability to mount any of these lenses on a :43: with an inexpensive adapter, I find that it's more interesting to compare them with the similar aperture lenses across the manufacturers.

It's really interesting to see how some of these lenses perform very strangely. One of the most striking examples is the Leica Noctilux which provides the most contrast of the group in the center and at 2/3 out, but is at or near the bottom of the class at 1/3 out and at the edges.

Also, I'm very impressed at the numbers posted by the Canon 50mm/3.5 macro lens. I've been looking for a good deal on one of these for a while now, but after seeing these results I'll redouble my efforts.
    • Like Like x 1