1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

30mm vs 30mm?

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by battleaxe, Sep 19, 2016.

1. battleaxe

battleaxe Mu-43 Top Veteran

I am thinking about getting a macro lens, and I am not sure which 30mm to get. Already a few places have image samples from the new Olympus 30mm macro, but how does it compare to the recent 30mm macro from Panasonic. I know the Panasonic is f2.8 vs 3.5mm on the Oly, but which allows for even close distance of capture? What about quality(based on the current image samples out now)?

2. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Hi, the Oly has greater than 1x magnification, so it will have a shorter minimum focus (working) distance.

What will you be photographing?

Also note the ZD 4/3 35mm is cheap if you already have an adapter.

3. battleaxe

I want to film flowers and other things I see on my walks/hikes.

4. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    No bugs? (A longer working distance is preferred for live bugs)

5. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

You probably don't need a macro lens for flowers. Have you seen the 12-50mm zoom? Great lens for hiking and gets close focus for flowers and details.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    FWIW I have the four-thirds Digital Zuiko 30mm/3.5 on a Panny 4/3 adapter. Close focus is 5 3/4", 14.6 cm. It is really slow to focus but both the lens and the adapter together only cost me about $120 on eBay. So ... cost-effective!

7. battleaxe

How big is that lens, cause this will be going on a GM1.

8. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    It happens to be on my desk right now. Including the adapter, it sticks out about 2 3/4" from the body flange. Diameter is about 3 1/8" It is no pancake but it feels fine on a GX7 or GX8.

IMO, properly held, any lens works on any body. My (for-sale) 100-400mm works fine on the GX7 too. Left hand supports the body/lens combination roughly at its CG. Right hand's job is to release the shutter.

9. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    You mean the ZD 35mm/3.5 (not 30)

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. algold

algold Mu-43 Regular

Apr 8, 2016
    Alex
    if you are going to use it on a GM1, you will be better off with a Pana 30/2.8 with its OIS.
    I use it on my e-m10ii and it's very good both as a macro lens and as a general normal(-ish) walkaround lens.

11. battleaxe

I think I can live without OIS as the Panasonic 14mm I am very accustomed too has never been stabilized.

12. skellington

skellington Mu-43 Regular

Mar 4, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    Keith
    So for flowers, have you considered something like the Panasonic 42.5 / F1.7?

Cameralabs puts it at 89mm across the frame (horizontally) when zoomed in as closely as possible. (Compared to approximately 17mm for the 30mm Panasonic Macro.)

Some flower examples in the shots:

Panasonic Lumix G 42.5mm f1.7 review | Cameralabs

And it's a more generally useful lens, and is stabilized. (Which is more useful as your focal length gets longer.)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    I would go with Skellington's recommendation, here.

Flowers and even many bugs don't really need a macro lens, and if you don't have anything like it, a fast lens like the 42.5/1.7 will really open photographic doors. It can do double-duty for low-light shooting and portraits as well as macro, and is even nice as a longer FL to accompany your 14mm for landscape or general shooting.

And it's more compact, to boot!

Compact Camera Meter

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    Yes. Thanks.