1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

300mm Pro cost is $2499?!?!

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by mcasan, Dec 3, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta
    Seriously? If that is correct, that will make for a major show down between the 300mm Pro and the PanLecia 100-400. IMHO, that is $500 too high a price for a one trick prime pony. The image IQ at 300mm (lens only) and at 420mm (lens plus 1.4TC) would have to be outstanding to support that price.

Can't wait for serious lab test results and real world shooting feedback....for both lenses.

(FT4) Olympus 300mm PRO lens will cost around $2,499! | 43 Rumors

2. khollister

khollister Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 16, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    Keith
    That is a ridiculous price regardless of how good it is. Comparisons to a FF 600/4 aside, it is a 300mm f/4 lens that doesn't have to cover nearly as large an image circle as Canon/Nikon's version do at far less cost. I really want this lens, but not at a price like that. The PL zoom is looking a lot better.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Not that I would have bought it anyway, but I'll join y'all in the "shock and appall".

4. Venser

Venser Mu-43 Regular

May 5, 2014
    I'll have to disagree with the majority.
    Here I thought it was going to be a lot more expensive.

There a significant stop difference between the PanLeica and the Olympus, so it won't be an easy decision, but the Olympus is probably finding a home in my camera bag.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    The Canon/Nikon versions are way overpriced, I mean they don't even have to cover 8x10 like a large format lens.

• Funny Funny x 4
  6. hoodlum

hoodlum Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 16, 2012
    Toronto Canada
    The $2500 price was likely converted from another currency, which is always higher than the actual US price.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 6, 2013
    Philly
    Steve
    Still cheaper than the old SGH glass. The 150 F2 used to be $3000 and the 300mm F2.8 was more than double that. Specialty lens. Price sounds about right.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Rob
    If it holds true it's high. Too high for the average enthusiast. How many pros would invest that much for a 16mb sensor with mediocre AF? That's very close to the price of a used Oly 300mm, 2.8 too.

The question you have to start asking is where you would spend $4000 next year if you shoot wildlife and sports? An e-m1 and this 300/4?

You could buy a 7dMk2, for instance, and a 400mm for that price and have 600mm equivalent in the best combo available for the purpose. Also the benefit of access to a very rich used market as well.

Love my e-m1, planning to buy an e-m1mk2, but the features of mk2 and price of this lens are decision points for 2015. Not sure where my money goes next year but I can't imagine buying this lens at $2500 when the big tuna can be had for $3000 or little tuna and TC for less. Especially if e-m1mk2 doesn't provide major advance in AF tracking. By the time e-m1mk2 is available the 7Dmk3, d7300, a7riii will probably be announced at least. Will be an interesting evaluation.

9. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    I'll wait to see what the final price will be. Rumor sites were off initially on the 40-150/2.8 as well. Things that the 300/4 has over the pana 100-400 is the ability to use the teleconverter and not having to compromise lens elements to work with varying focal lengths, constant aperture.

When you think about having an effective field of view of 600mm native, and 840mm with the tc, that's something worth getting excited about. With all that said - others are right...this is a specialty lens and is most likely priced to recoup the cost at the lower levels a lens like this would sell at. Not everyone needs an f/4 300mm. I'm quite happy with the Oly 75-300mm variable aperture lens when the light is there.

10. khollister

khollister Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 16, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    Keith
    Not when you compare a 300/4+TC. You are at f/5.6 @ 420mm, so the 6.3 @ 400 for the zoom isn't a huge jump.

I would rather have the 300 (I already own the TC), but if that price is accurate ...

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. bikerhiker

bikerhiker Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 24, 2013
    Canada
    David
    The real competition is the Nikon D7200. I'm surprised no one had ever talked about this camera! I know of two people who own E-M1s and D7200 and are using the Nikon instead to shoot sports. The Nikkor 200-500mm f/5.6 lens is priced at $1600 cad and focuses fast and sharp. The D7200 is superior against the E-M1 in every way including size and weight. Coupled with the new Nikkor 16-80 f/2.8-4 which is reminiscent of the older 12-60SWD, it is currently one of the best sold kits. The E-M1 Mk 2 has to be better than the D7200 in regards to AF. And with the rumoured Samsung NX acquisition, this again put serious threat to the new flagship if Nikon intends to push out a high end D300s replacement is a form of a mirrorless camera with Samsung NX1 guts!

Last edited: Dec 3, 2015
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    How is the 7200 superior to the EM1 in terms of size and weight? Are you referring to the lens?
    upload_2015-12-3_11-15-14.

13. bikerhiker

bikerhiker Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 24, 2013
    Canada
    David
    An E-M1 alone can not take pictures without a lens and neither does a Nikon D7200 and Sony A7 series. So when I'm comparing systems, I add the lens combo together. Yes, overall the the E-M1 can be more compact, but the appeal the technology the D7200 provides counteracts size and weight. And it's outselling the E-M1, at least here, many folds and the Olympus users I know here locally do own a Nikon complement systems despite the fact that they own a 16MP camera that is also capable.

But this is understandable. The D7200 was released this year in March. The E-M1 was released in 2013, so in 2016 I think the Mk 2 had to leap frog whatever tech current APS cameras or cameras in 2016 has. It's only natural to get you to spend money again. This is how the game is played with all makers.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. nstelemark

nstelemark Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 28, 2013
    Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada
    Larry
    I think the comparison with the 7200 is valid expect for the not great buffer on the 7200 (mind you it is better than the crap buffer on the 7100) . The max framerate is 5 fps shooting raw and jpeg and the buffer fills in 10 frames where the max framerate becomes 1.1 fps, and it takes 10 seconds to empty. So generally I would take an E-M1 over a 7100 or 7200. A Nikon NX1 is a real problem though. Nikon glass + the Samsung sensor and UI is not a great thing for any vendor right now.

To me the biggest competitor for the 300f4 is canon and metabones. You have lots of options for $2500. And in the Oly line the 150f2 + TCs is more flexible.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. RichardB

RichardB Snapshooter

Nov 19, 2012
    Maryland, US
    Richard
    Olympus can always lower the price later. This item is likely to be scarce at first, so let's move the rich buyers to the front of the line, put some money in Olympus's bank account, and the rest of us can wait a year for the price to drop. The camera industry is so competitive and development is so rapid and expensive, Olympus customers should be happy if the company can find buyers at a high introductory price.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2015
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. bikerhiker

bikerhiker Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 24, 2013
    Canada
    David
    If you have read Thom Hogan's review usage of the D7200 for his wildlife photography, the buffer rate never possess a detriment to the overall strength of the camera itself. While the E-M1 has a deeper buffer rate, you need that to basically take even more shots to retain a reasonable amount keeper rate whereas the D7200 superior AF and 3D tracking kept a higher keeper rate to begin with. So generally, I actually would take the D7200 over the E-M1 because it's AF tracking is much more effective at least with BIF. The E-M1 AF tracking is not as effective. But keep in mind that there is a difference between 3D AF tracking on the D7200 and Continuous AF with the E-M1. The latter does not AF track.

In regards to Nikon + Samsung sensor.. I think Nikon will simply take whatever is relevant for their next DX mirrorless camera off what Samsung had already achieved. The 28MP sensor is intriguing and simply is an alternative competitive solution against Sony+Toshiba. The threat is with the next Sony A6xxx successor which probably will take some of the full frame tech including possibly a new DX BSI sensor. To me, anything is good and the E-M1 Mk 2 has to be really good in order to stay relevant for 3 more years.

And what does this has to do with the pricing of the 300mm f/4? Well, if Olympus is so confident in pricing their lens that high; that means whatever is coming down the pipeline in 2016 is ALSO THAT GOOD. Why?
    Because as I said earlier, people do not buy just a body. They buy a body with a lens. In this case, the E-M1 Mk2 with 300mm f/4 is not inconceivable if the Mk 2 proves to be a superb AF performer. And besides, Olympus is known to bundle lens + body combo deal.

To comment on the Metabones + Canon EF. Yes, it would make sense but most people rather buy a native lens. It's easy to figure out and gives a peace of mind knowing it is fully compatible with whatever tech the new Mk 2 has that only works with a native lens like the 300 f/4. To give you an example. Focus stacking on the E-M1 only works with 3 Olympus lenses. Don't have those lenses, then you're stuck with focus bracketing..

Last edited: Dec 3, 2015
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. datagov

datagov Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 2, 2012
    New York
    This price is NUTS. I would rather buy a Canon Rebel T3 or 4i and a used EF 300mm F4 L, which together might cost $800 than pay $2500 for one lens. And btw, the IQ is the same.

• Agree Agree x 3
  18. nstelemark

nstelemark Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 28, 2013
    Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada
    Larry
    The 7200 is new. The 7100 is the vintage of the E-M1 and I would take the E-M1 all day. People I know shooting sports have issues with the buffer on the 7100.

19. datagov

datagov Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 2, 2012
    New York
    actually, I can also just buy a metabones Smart T adapter and mount the EF 300mm f4 L on my E-M1, and it will still be 1/3 the cost of what Olympus is proposing. NUTS!!!

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.