1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

300mm or more for Epl-1

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by elandel, Jun 15, 2010.

1. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    Hi everybody,

Hope this is the right plce to post this question. I'm lookink for a 300mm zoom for my Epl.1 and don't want to spend a fortune.

My question is: has anyone got some advise? The 70-300 Zd works well on
    :43: or can I get some third party lens like Tamron or Sigma at bargain prices?

Thanks.

2. adam

adam Mu-43 Regular

Apr 21, 2010
    Maryland
    The ZD 70-300 works fine on my Panasonic GH1 with the Panasonic adapter...the AF is dreadfully slow, but it wasn't great on my former E-30 either :) Image quality is quite good for the price. Should work fine on the E-PL1 as well.

3. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    Thanks for moving, I was not sure it was the right place.

Well I read somewhere that the AF if the ZD 70-300 was a 'bit':rofl: slow. That was why I was hesitating to buy.

How does it perform in lowlight? And in contrast light situations?

• Like Like x 1
  4. Gwendal

Gwendal Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 6, 2010
    • Like Like x 1
  5. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    Thank you. I'm going to see it now.

6. Jim

Jim Mu-43 Rookie

May 30, 2010
    Aren't Panasonic releasing a micro 4/3 100-300mm at some point in the future. I plan to find out about that before I buy.

7. BillN

BillN Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    SW France
    I find anything, MF and long, difficult and very slow to use on the EP-1 or G1, especially wide open

The dedicated AF lenses are far more effective and enjoyable to use on the M43 cams.

8. pdh

pdh Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 6, 2010
    There was a prototype exhibited -- in fact I think you can see a snap of it on the Panasonic website -- of a 100-300mm lens earlier in the year, with a projected release date of "autumn 2010".

But when I was in the market for a m43+long lens setup (early March this year) , no Panasonic dealer could tell me anything more about it than the above. (Which is why I ended up with an E-P2 + the 4/3 70-300mm)

Perhaps there's some updated news, I'd be interested to hear if you find anything out.

9. Bokeh Diem

Bokeh Diem Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 14, 2010
    Toronto
    hello adam..

Do you have any posted shots taken with that lens? Which Panasonic adapter is that you used?

Thanks in advance,

Bokeh D

10. adam

adam Mu-43 Regular

Apr 21, 2010
    Maryland
    Haven't gotten any keepers yet...I'm going to try to get some airplane shots this weekend if the weather cooperates. My adapter is the Panasonic DMW-MA1.

11. et100

et100 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 15, 2010
    Chicago area - USA
    Check out the previous thread posted above, there are a quite a few samples as well as a link to an indoor event photographed with E-PL1 and Zuiko 70-300. I own the combo and use the Panasonic adapter. The AF is rather slow but accurate and a lot easier than using MF lenses IMHO and I use this lens for macro too. The 70-300 was sold as low as 219 early this year and the adapter cost around 100 usd.

12. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    Maybe Pana will release a 100-300, but the price?

If we look at the actual lens then the price will be:eek:. Maybe not worthwhile.

13. w7ox

w7ox Mu-43 Regular

Jun 18, 2010
    Phil Wheeler
    I'm waiting for the Panny 100-300 expected later in 2010. Don't know what the price will be, but native m4/3 should give faster AF and that can be crucial for the sorts of targets I want 300mm for.

14. ianc

ianc New to Mu-43

Jun 30, 2010
    Essex UK
    Third party lenses, such as the sigma's work fine in MF on my G1 with the correct adaptor (in my case, PKA one from a certain auction site).
    The downside is they give a very unbalanced set up

15. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    Well I'm thinking about buying a Sony A200 to use with long zoom lens so it's not too unbalanced, but mostly very cheaper than buying Zuiko lens for m4/3.

I have a very nice bigbeercan but really wheights a ton and seems too bulky with my Lucille.:smile:

Of course keeping my E-pl1 as main body and travel kit.:thumbup:

16. et100

et100 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 15, 2010
    Chicago area - USA
    I just got the EVF and focusing with long lenses is improved, a few advantages: you can see if you are in focus a lot better, the lens and camera are more stable when you hold them close to your body and you can actually MF. Basically its a big step up for using long lenses on E-PL1.

elandel, if you get the A200 your "crop" multiplier is going down to 1.5x, so for 600 equivalent you would need 400 on sony (its just 300 on m4/3). But if you already own the glass it might make more economic sense.
    Also when you do get the long glass make sure to try it on E-PL! too and let us know how it performs.

17. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    I am getting my evf for the e-pl1 today, can't wait to use it for MF! I found the VF with my previous GF1 was adequate for MF, but not great; having tried out the olympus evf I know I am in for a treat, especially with my 400mm f5.6 sigma.