300mm f4 Pro hood damage

JayZay87

Mu-43 Regular
Well long story short, my 300mm Pro somehow detached from my EM1 and landed on the ground hood first onto a gravel road from waist height. Of course this happened right before ordering a new sling with safety tether... Because it fell straight down, the rim of the hood took the full impact and cracked/broke apart into a few pieces (hood was locked into extended position). When pulling back on the hood it no longer had anything stopping it from moving back across the full length of the lens barrel, so I removed the lens foot and slid the hood off. I’ve tested this lens a great amount since the incident and I can’t notice anything wrong mechanically or optically (I've taken about 500 photos with the lens since the incident). When I first checked the lens right after the incident I panicked because it wasn't auto focusing, but then I noticed the focus clutch was in manual mode :doh:.

I inquired with Olympus about a hood replacement and they notified me that the hood is not a part that is available to the public and requires a technician to replace because of the funky design. This sucks because it'll probably cost at least a few hundred bucks to get a new hood installed, and they would also want to check the lens out in more detail to look for any possible damage internally. This lens was purchased used and would be an out of warranty repair, so it feels like a lot of money to spend on a lens that is virtually working fine, but without a hood I feel like I'll be at a disadvantage in certain lighting conditions.. but for the most part wouldn't it be fine without? Should I just bite the bullet and send it for repair? 😖

Phocal

Mu-43 Legend
I would just send it in. The fall could have done something to a weathering seal that could cost you a lot more money down the road. I use the hood as my protection for the front element because I do not put protection filters on my lenses.

bargainguy

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Don
Any possibility a new lens hood could be 3D printed? If it could, much more economical than shelling out a few hundred for a new hood.

JayZay87

Mu-43 Regular
I heard back from Olympus today:

“We would like to inform you that the repair price would be a flat-rate for either the Minimum or Normal (we do not have the price for the minimum repair but the normal should be $331.00 + tax &), which will be shown on the form, after you select the type of repair (normal). Our repair service will bring your lens back to full working condition. We will also provide basic maintenance for the unit, making any adjustments, calibrations; software upgrades (if applicable) and will clean the unit as needed. The normal turnaround time is 2-3 weeks. Your repaired lens is then backed by our six-month service warranty”.

I’ve thought about it a lot and as much as I’m tempted to buy a rubber pop out hood and to not have to send out the lens (my only M4/3 lens at the moment), my gut says to send it out and get it checked out and repaired. A few hundred dollars seems crazy for what could end up being just a piece of plastic being replaced, but this lens was a huge investment and I would hate to have an issue down the road that originated from the fall that just went unnoticed. Maybe it’ll end up being a “minimum” repair in the end and I’ll save some money, who knows.
I’ll keep everyone posted on how this turns out. I can’t be the first person who’s damaged the hood on this lens am I? 🤔 ... It sure feels like it though 😅...

bargainguy

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Don
"We'd like to inform you that you will either be Charged or Overcharged, whichever we feel like at that moment..."

Huge bummer. I feel your pain. If you don't get it replaced, you risk damaging the lens and maybe hurting resale value.

Acraftman

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Hopefully five years and many great shots from now this will just be a meh memory , I am still a little peeved at them for charging $260+shipping so I could just turn my em5mkll on and off a problem they claim to have never heard of before :thumbup: but I still have a four years to go! lol

Hendrik

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Hendrik
I’ll keep everyone posted on how this turns out. I can’t be the first person who’s damaged the hood on this lens am I? 🤔 ... It sure feels like it though 😅...
The same thing happened to me this week except I slipped on the ice in the darkening dusk. I taped the nose ring back on. The lens seems to have survived quite nicely. I will keep an eye on it over the next couple of weeks to assess any internal damage. It is against just this possibility that I never go about without a lens hood deployed.

JayZay87

Mu-43 Regular
The same thing happened to me this week except I slipped on the ice in the darkening dusk. I taped the nose ring back on. The lens seems to have survived quite nicely. I will keep an eye on it over the next couple of weeks to assess any internal damage. It is against just this possibility that I never go about without a lens hood deployed.
That's unfortunate it happened to you recently as well! Maybe it is just pure luck that our lenses still seem to function correctly, but I have to say, I'm really glad they went with an all metal construction (minus the hood of course). Now they just need to redesign a lens hood that is removable, either that or I just need to stop breaking things.. :rolleyes-38:

JayZay87

Mu-43 Regular
Hey everyone, I just wanted to give you an update on the repair. Olympus checked out the lens and replaced the black rear cover (that had some scratches), the hood, calibrated the lens, upgraded the firmware, and sent it back 3 day delivery - and just got it in the mail today! I'm really pleased about the quick turn around communication throughout the process. It still fell under the "Normal" repair cost which was a few hundred bucks, but things could have easily been worse, and I'm just glad to have it back and in excellent shape again. I now have a RRS plate attached to the lens foot, a QD strap attached to the plate, and a safety tether from the plate to the strap, I'll attach pictures of the setup below.
Can't wait to get out there and shoot with this lens again! :dance4:
IMG_1949.JPG
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

IMG_1950.JPG
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Mack

Mu-43 All-Pro
Good idea about the safety tether.

I had the same Magpul Quick Disconnect sling and the thing did not latch right onto the RRS L-plate of my E-M1X and the thing broke free and fell 2-3 feet onto a carpeted floor with a sickening thud. It was hung up by the sling, but I heard it fall from another room. There are some on Amazon reporting the things breaking free from their rifles too: https://www.amazon.com/Magpul-Heavy...iewpnt_rgt?filterByStar=critical&pageNumber=1

I decided not to use it as the heavy steel strap connectors could swing around and strike and possibly crack the LCD on the camera's back. Too bad they are not covered in rubber or something.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom