300mm f4.5 MC Tele Rokkor-X

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Bokeh Diem, May 14, 2010.

1. Bokeh Diem

Bokeh Diem Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 14, 2010
    I just scooped this up on eBay from a seller in British Columbia, and I am quite jiggled (notwithstanding the fact that the price negotiated was substantially less than being sought)

300mm f4.5 MC Tele Rokkor-X
    6 Elements in 6 Groups
    Angle of view 8 degrees
    4.5m f22
    Filter size 72mm
    Dimensions 81x200mm
    Weight 1150g

The MC 300/4.5 (6-in-6) was built from from January 1969 through mid 1978 was about 80mm diameter x 199.5mm long and weighed 1155-1175g. These versions included from the 300/4.5 MC Rokkor-HF thru MC Rokkor-X to the first version 300/4.5 MD Rokkor-X. All these versions had the rotating tripod mount and a stop down switch.

Described as:

"This lens was bought a year ago from a camera collector. It appears to have never been used. Glass, hood, lens barrel, caps, and aperture ring are all in pristine condition. There is no trace of oil or fog inside the lens. It comes with matching leather case and both caps."

When I receive the lens I will update this thread with images taken from it.

Pictures of the Monster

2. cosinaphile

cosinaphile Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    new york city
    thats a 600 4.5 equiv ........wow
  3. hmpws

hmpws Mu-43 Regular

Apr 24, 2010
    Auckland, New Zealand
  4. What is your impression of the images from the Minolta 300mm? I've been watching for a Konica 300mm but they are scarce and expensive. The Minolta could be good alternative if its optics are up to snuff.
  5. Bokeh Diem

Bokeh Diem Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 14, 2010
    For the price it is tough to beat. Chromatic aberration is a problem but can be dealt with in PP. There are much sharper, more contrasty lenses out there at ten to twenty times the price, and I have a couple of them.... A good example is the Olympus Zuiko 300m Top Pro 2.8.... at $5-7000 per unit (I have its baby brother, the 150/2 and an Oly 2X Doubler, together paid $1750 very lightly used). I paid $125 for the Minolta.

I'll throw up some photos later this summer... my adapter was sold with a couple of lenses, and need to replace it.... a plan I have as I own several Rokkors that I want to test out on the GH2 this year.

Bokeh D
  6. r_rinker

r_rinker New to Mu-43

Dec 23, 2012
    I have one of these lenses. It was my dad's for the 60's

I am willing to sell any one?
  7. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    I have a late MC Rokkor 300/4.5, also the version with the tripod mount. I agree with the assessment above, sharpness is OK, CA is clearly visible and contrast is rather low (tested on a GH2). I picked it up for € 40 which is not too much, the generally low prices reflect its rather limited useability.
  8. laptoprob

laptoprob Mu-43 Regular

Jan 28, 2010
    I have the MD internal focus version. Corner resolution was improved in this version. Not really important in m43 ofcourse...

Ed Kowalczyk