300mm f/4 really that poor?

wjiang

Mu-43 Legend
Just saw this:

Most of it was ho-hum but something that didn't make sense was the side-by-side sharpness comparisons. Is the 300mm that bad or does Tony have a bad copy? It looks like the results from my 100-300 f/4-5.6 II!

rezatravilla

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Reza Travilla
Have tested 300mm F4 and same as @pdk42 i found it sharp. Also somehow the image file looks cleaner. It's a great optic.

zanydroid

Mu-43 Regular
tl;dw

Is he shooting it the same way as his big Nikon super teles - fast shutter speed all the time? I think Tony's doing good at surfacing the Olympus BS of claiming that these lenses are "equivalent" to the FF lenses, and thus a great value, but OTOH the previous videos I've seen from him don't compare the M43 wildlife lenses to the Nikons that are within 1 stop of performance/size class (like the 300PF or 500PF)

BPCS

Mu-43 Regular
Tony needs someone to advise him how to set up Lens AF micro adjustment in the menu (for CAF). My 300 Pro was soft wide open until I dialed in a +2 (out of the + or - 20 available). It is now tack sharp.

Chances are he has already calibrated his DSLR and 600 f4.0 (everyone knows DSLR 's need cslibration) but doesn't even know the EM1 series have calibration as well.

And using SAF, the mode that is supposed to be "self calibrating" with mirrorless, is also soft with my 300 and EM1X... nothing I can do about that other than use my calibrated CAF.

zanydroid

Mu-43 Regular
Tony needs someone to advise him how to set up Lens AF micro adjustment in the menu (for CAF). My 300 Pro was soft wide open until I dialed in a +2 (out of the + or - 20 available). It is now tack sharp.
How hard is it to AFMA on an Olympus body? Does it have the Nikon style auto calibration? Are the Olympus and PL lenses consistent enough that a one time, single focus distance adjustment is good enough? (Ie, unlike the notoriously bad sigma lenses out there)

whumber

Mu-43 Veteran

Chances are he has already calibrated his DSLR and 600 f4.0 (everyone knows DSLR 's need cslibration) but doesn't even know the EM1 series have calibration as well.

And using SAF, the mode that is supposed to be "self calibrating" with mirrorless, is also soft with my 300 and EM1X... nothing I can do about that other than use my calibrated CAF.
For S-AF, if you punch in it uses only CDAF and you don't have to worry about any kind of AFMA issues.

whumber

Mu-43 Veteran
This reminds me of when Tony was trying to tell people that the Canon 70-200ii + 2X TC was sharper than the new 100-400ii. My biggest criticism of him is that he occasionally gets these outlier type results from a test and instead of asking "What did I do wrong?" he seems to think to himself "I'm right and everyone else is wrong."

panamike

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I bet the guy has had trouble sleeping since the sales % showed Olympus in the top five, only just i know but Tony cant have that.
  • Canon 40.5 % (+ 3.9)
  • Nikon 19.1 % (- 2.7)
  • Sony 17.7 % (- 0.7)
  • Fujifilm: 5.1 % (+ 1.3)
  • Olympus: 2.8 % (+ 0.1)

Pluttis

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Peter
Dont know how he end up with that poor result...i have tried it briefly and it was really sharp, no worse than any other 300mm pro lenses but it will never render the image same as a 600mm lens.

I give way more trust in for example Imager-Resource's tests than Tony's.

Olympus 300mm f/4.0 IS Pro ED M.Zuiko Digital Review

Reflector

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Olympus must have stopped giving him free keepers or whatever the camera companies give to influences like him. I have it on good word from someone that works in the photographic accessories industries that Tony (and other "influencers" on Youtube) has two types of reviews: The type where he "honestly" reviews your product and the type you give him some money and he says pleasant things about you. You're free to disbelieve me and you should take what I say with a grain of salt of course since I'm making some allegations about a Famous FirstNameLastName Youtuber.

wjiang

Mu-43 Legend
Olympus must have stopped giving him free keepers or whatever the camera companies give to influences like him. I have it on good word from someone that works in the photographic accessories industries that Tony (and other "influencers" on Youtube) has two types of reviews: The type where he "honestly" reviews your product and the type you give him some money and he says pleasant things about you. You're free to disbelieve me and you should take what I say with a grain of salt of course since I'm making some allegations about a Famous FirstNameLastName Youtuber.
Actually LinusTechTips have clearly indicated this - the either do a 'review' (honest opinion, not sponsored by the vendor at all) or a 'showcase' (paid for marketing spot by the vendor, very little opinion). I imagine it's the same for any industry doing marketing via YouTube influencers.

Tony Northrup has been pretty clear too - their reviews are never sponsored, so he can say whatever he thinks.

I'm just surprised by those poor static test shots he posted from the 300mm.

Real Name
Richard
Just saw this:

Most of it was ho-hum but something that didn't make sense was the side-by-side sharpness comparisons. Is the 300mm that bad or does Tony have a bad copy? It looks like the results from my 100-300 f/4-5.6 II!
I'm sure I've seen a cine film somewhere of Tony (with jet black hair) pointing out that the Bronica GS1 produced noticeably sharper pictures than the Nikon FE2. He conceded that it was 4x the price and 5x the weight, but with the aid of any convenient wheelbarrow, it was a viable system to cart around all day.

Reflector

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Actually LinusTechTips have clearly indicated this - the either do a 'review' (honest opinion, not sponsored by the vendor at all) or a 'showcase' (paid for marketing spot by the vendor, very little opinion). I imagine it's the same for any industry doing marketing via YouTube influencers.

Tony Northrup has been pretty clear too - their reviews are never sponsored, so he can say whatever he thinks.

I'm just surprised by those poor static test shots he posted from the 300mm.
What I heard was that he charges for looking over the product and that this is SOP for a bunch of other Youtube influencers. You pay to play, basically.

I've heard of the FTC disclosure requirement (for paid product placement/etc) but that's something to take into note in regards to LinusTechTips and the language.

wjiang

Mu-43 Legend
What I heard was that he charges for looking over the product and that this is SOP for a bunch of other Youtube influencers. You pay to play, basically.

I've heard of the FTC disclosure requirement (for paid product placement/etc) but that's something to take into note in regards to LinusTechTips and the language.
Sorry, but I don't want to get into heresay. The stuff they actually review are all bought or hired by them, so they say. Disclosure is required by law, as he has stated multiple times, everytime he is accused of this sort of thing.

I didn't really want to get into him or how he does his videos in general. This is about how his 300mm test shots could look so poor.

Last edited:

panamike

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Sorry, but I don't want to get into heresay. The stuff they actually review are all bought or hired by them, so they say. Disclosure is required by law, as he has stated multiple times, everytime he is accused of this sort of thing.

I didn't really want to get into him or how he does his videos in general. This is about how his 300mm test shots could look so poor.
It is frustrating when these threads sink into an I hate Tony thread, you want to talk about how the 300mm results can be so poor and you are right, the problem is many of us feel he could be the main reason the results are poor.
Even when he praises m4/3 he still knocks it.
Looking at image results on a you tube video doesnt say anything good or bad about them.

Top Bottom