3 weeks in Europe

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by Ray Sachs, Aug 4, 2010.

1. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator Moderator Subscribing Member

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    I've probably bored some of you with talk of an impending European trip for a few months. Well, now its happened, we've gone and returned, and now its time to bore you with some photos from that trip!

I took two camera bodies and four lenses - EP2, EPL1, 14-150, 9-18, 20, and 17. All Oly except for the Pany 20. I generally kept the 9-18 on the EPL1, ready to pull out of the bag at a moments notice, and kept whatever primary lens I was shooting with on the EP2. The 14-150 was my go-to all day lens and I'm incredibly glad it became available in time to take it on this trip. It was invaluable. The 9-18 was also critical for a lot of close spaces and some landscapes, but it didn't get the bulk of use, but it was always instantly available. When I got bored with shooting general scenery, I'd slap the 17 on the EP2 and just do street shooting for a while. The 20 was on every evening and for lots of indoor spaces. This was a GREAT setup for me to travel with. I kept it all in a Domke F6 which was the right bag for me - it holds plenty and, importantly, everything is very easily accessible. And it doesn't look like much so no thieves seemed to have any interest in me this trip. Oh yeah, I also took the Canon S90 for the last week of the trip, when I did a lot of cycling in Italy. I got a few great shots with that, but the vast majority were taken with the m43 gear.

In terms of photos, I probably took about 4000 altogether. I had that edited down to about 3000 by the time I got back, culling the obvious garbage in the evenings. I've put about 300 up in various sets on Flickr in a collection, which folks are welcome to see if they want. And I'm going to share a couple dozen of them in the next three posts in this thread. Are these the best? Beats me. After looking through this much stuff over the period of a few days, it all starts to run together. There are plenty of good one not here and some of these arguably aren't much. But they're pretty representative I think, and that's all I can do without posting WAAAAY too many shots.

First, here is the Flickr collection link for any of you who have way too much time on your hands and want to browse - the various sets are explained there:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/20889767@N05/collections/72157624522224735/

The next three posts include shots of 1. Big Landscapes - outdoor, large view. 2. Small details, indoors or out, but still clearly travel photos. And 3 is some street photography I did to give myself some variety. The first two types of photos come relatively easy to me - see it, frame it, shoot it - some are good, some are not so good, but it never feels difficult. The street stuff is the biggest challenge because people keep MOVING and it requires a level of interaction the other stuff doesn't. Maybe being in a place where I didn't know anyone was kind of liberating but I LOVED doing street stuff over there. At home, it makes me a bit more nervous for some reason.

Oh yeah, one more detail - the trip was a two week cruise of the Med followed by a week at a beach community in Italy with incredible cycling immediately inland. So these are almost all in Spain, France, and Italy, but one or two from Greece or Croatia probably snuck in. I can answer questions about any specific shots.

Enough talk - I hope you enjoy some of these.

-Ray

• Like Like x 6
  2. Ray Sachs

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    Big Views

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

• Like Like x 12
  3. Ray Sachs

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    Small Views

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

• Like Like x 12
  4. Ray Sachs

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    Street Shots - People

One of these is quite out of focus and I suppose I should hate it for that, but I really love it. No idea if I'd like it more or less if it was sharp, but its not and the odds of finding the same girl in the same spot in the same light in Venice again are NOT GOOD, so this is what I've got!

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

• Like Like x 10
  5. Gwendal

Gwendal Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 6, 2010
    It's not that the others are bad, but this one is particularly good !

• Like Like x 2
  6. Gwendal

Gwendal Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 6, 2010
    Maybe it's me, but I get an error message from Flickr ? Anyway, great shots all around !

7. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus Subscribing Member Charter Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Ray,
    Everything looks real good. I will check out the site later, after work.
    Thanks much for the tour....

8. Ray Sachs

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    That's odd - I did too? Let me try this link:

Collection: 2010 European Vacation

OK, seems to work - I'll fix the link in the first post. Thanks for the heads up!

-Ray

9. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus Charter Member

Ray, you never bore me. My only question is why I couldn't have come with you?! Just kidding, I think this was your big anniversary trip.:wink:

You have some really nice pictures here and I am going to hit your Flickr stream, too. Just for now I want to make a few quick initial responses - beautiful scenes, superb color, I agree with you about the "blurry girl" photo (wonder what she'd be like in black and white or monochrome) and would never ever consider getting rid of her, and I found your abstract from the vaulted ceiling quite lovely.

Really appreciate your linking your Flickr account, too. At least I can be an armchair traveler!

P.S. Also want to say I appreciate your describing your camera and lens use, too.

10. Christilou

Christilou Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 25, 2010
    Camberley, Surrey
    Wow, you've taken some fantastic pictures here and I've loved the view. Thank you so much for posting them :smile:

11. Ray Sachs

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    Yeah, 25th Anniversary, 50th birthdays, etc - three big milestones all hitting within a year or so, so it seemed like a real celebration was in order. So my wife might have objected to you coming along - OTOH, the two of you would probably get along famously, and then I might have objected :wink:

Thanks very much for the kind words. The blurry girl didn't work as well in B&W - I tried it and the colors and contrast of her blue dress seem fairly critical to that one. The ceiling is a series of continuous arches in a hallway of a library in Florence. Here's a slightly wider view of the same thing with the original to give some context. When I first looked at that shot after taking it, I had a lot of trouble figuring out how that came out of that ceiling, but if you look at it along with the wider view, you can just about see it. I like the abstract too - one of the few that I knew I'd like the second I took it. Many of them turn out to be pleasant (and many UNpleasant) surprises after the fact, but I liked that one a lot as I was framing it.

-Ray
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

12. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus Charter Member

Dec 15, 2009
    What a wonderful record of your exciting trip Ray, and thanks for sharing how your kit worked out for you... looks like a great travel setup!

Cheers

Brian

13. Alf

Alf Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 23, 2010
    Northeastern Tuscany
    Plenty of good ones!

14. luguidomanski

luguidomanski Mu-43 Regular

Apr 11, 2010
    Curitiba, Brazil
    Luiz
    Ray, superb pics here! I was there in Europe in june/july as well with my wife. Wonderful time there. Pics on Flickr as well

Congrats for your anniversary and birthday!

15. Bill Gordon

Bill Gordon Mu-43 Top Veteran Charter Member

Hi Ray

I realize that all of those gorgeous photos were taken on Oly glass..but you did not tell us what glass was used for what image. I really love them all!!

16. everythingsablur

everythingsablur Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 4, 2010
    Toronto, ON
    You can click on Ray's Flickr link and look at the full EXIF data of all of the images you like. Probably easier than Ray digging through and updating them all manually.

17. Vidar

Vidar Mu-43 Top Veteran Charter Member

Dec 31, 2009
    Bergen, Norway
    Nice pics Ray! I enjoyed them. Makes me want to go to the continent again..

18. silverbullet

silverbullet Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 10, 2010
    Whoww, Ray, a great collection of your impressions and visualized by you.

The pics really tease me. I should put gasoline in my Z4 and drive to France, Italy, Monaco or even Sweden with the wind in my hair and the E-P2 in my bag........ :cool:

19. Ray Sachs

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    Actually, not all Oly glass at all. Here's a quick rundown. For more details on exposure and focal lengths, see the exif data on my flickr page or in the thread that starts here at DPreview:

Big Views: Micro Four Thirds Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

In terms of the lenses (and in a couple of cases, the camera), here they are:

First group (big views) - all were taken with the 14-150 except the 3rd and 5th, which were taken on bike rides with my Canon S90 subcompact (great little camera, that one).

Second group (near views) - 9-18, 9-18, 14-150, 14-150, 17, 9-18, 14-150, 14-150

Third groups (people / street) - 9-18, 14-150, 20, 20, 17, 14-150, 17, 17, 17

So, mostly Oly glass, but a couple with the Panasonic 20 and a couple with the Canon S90. I guess I shouldn't have posted those here, but what the hell... Actually, if anyone is interested in just how capable the s90 is in decent light and within a typical focal range, I actually spent one full day shooting with that rather than the m43 gear in Portovenere, Italy. I thought I might be doing some real hiking and figured a pocket camera was the ticket. Anyway, it acquitted itself well. Only a few of those shots made my Flickr set, but I posted a couple dozen over on the Canon forum at dpreview and everyone seemed to like them. Here's a link if interested. I love my m43 gear, but I never feel like I'm particularly limited when I just have the s90 along.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1010&message=35958220

-Ray

20. Ray Sachs

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    A couple of slightly related shots

I'm gonna take a small liberty - the point of this trip was largely a 25th Anniversary celebration. Well, yesterday was the actual day and my wife and I walked the 4 blocks to our favorite nice restaurant (the beauty of small town living) for a very nice dinner. Anti-climatic relative to the trip to Europe, but a very nice evening still. Here are a few from dinner, including one by the busboy! These were all with the Panasonic 20 at f1.7.

Thanks for your indulgence. And thanks for all of your kind words regarding the initial set of photos. Out of the 3,000 - 4,000 shots I took over there, I'd hope I'd have at least a few dozen decent ones. I've ended up with a set of about 175 on Flickr that are at least good enough to give a sense of the trip.

-Ray

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/20889767@N05/4882844186/" title="25th Anniversary DInner 1 by ramboorider1, on Flickr">[​IMG]"1354" height="1050" alt="25th Anniversary DInner 1" /></a>

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/20889767@N05/4882237295/" title="25th Anniversary DInner 2 by ramboorider1, on Flickr">[​IMG]"822" height="1050" alt="25th Anniversary DInner 2" /></a>

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/20889767@N05/4882237391/" title="25th Anniversary DInner 4 by ramboorider1, on Flickr">[​IMG]"1354" height="1050" alt="25th Anniversary DInner 4" /></a>

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/20889767@N05/4882844450/" title="25th Anniversary DInner 5 by ramboorider1, on Flickr">[​IMG]"1354" height="1050" alt="25th Anniversary DInner 5" /></a>

• Like Like x 4