1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

3 Panasonic Bodies: All different batteries/chargers?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by sigamy, Feb 2, 2016.

1. sigamy

sigamy Mu-43 Regular

Dec 4, 2012
    So...I've posted about my search for a small 2nd body to go with my GH3. One thing I didn't consider is sharing batteries/chargers. Here is my current setup:

GH3: my main camera; will stick around for a while.
    G5: my daughter's camera; will stick around forever.
    GX1: I just picked up to use as 2nd body, lighter/small kit.

I'm trying to see if I can get down to 2 chargers, where G5 and GH3 are the constants.

I've been searching and I think the GX1 battery may fit in the G5 charger, if I wedge something in to hold the battery. Is this correct? Is it a bad idea?

So...which (if any) small bodies with EVF capability can share G5 or GH3 charger?

Obviously, I'm looking at GM5 or GX7. Can they share with G5 or GH3?

Is there a battery/charger to camera matrix posted anywhere?

2. siftu

siftu Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2015
    Bay Area, CA
    siftu
    You could get the Watson or Volta chargers which take the interchangeable plates for different batteries. Some one on here recommended the Waston to me and I run that now.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    The G5 battery works with the GX7.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Oruf

Oruf Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 21, 2015
    FRANCE
    +1

I have a charger with interchangeable plate for my g5. The brand is Photoprimus, got it for cheap , works great, and it can charge via micro-usb. A lot of chineses brand for the same charger all over the net (no watson or volta brand in my country).

• Like Like x 1
  5. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    The most commonly-sold charger on eBay comprises a base and a battery tray. These are sold under a wide variety of brands. One is "Wasabi." They all seem to be the same.

upload_2016-2-2_17-7-42.

In this picture you can see the separation line between the base and the tray. The tray is removed by sliding it to the right. There's even a nice checkered grip for grabbing it. The bases are specific to various voltages; the marking is under the tray. My Panasonic bases are all marked 8.4 volts. In addition to different voltages, there are two styles of base. One is mains power supply only and the other adds the capability to charge from a 12 volt car adapter. There doesn't seem to be much difference in price.

So it is possible to cut the weight and bulk you carry by carrying a few trays and one base. The problem with this is that the number of bases you carry is also the number of batteries you can charge simultaneously.

It's pretty easy to check battery compatibility: Just enter the camera model and "battery" into eBay search. A few hundred batteries will pop up, most listing a battery type number. Just make note of the type numbers and see what they are for different cameras.

Different batteries and different chargers are a PITA. That's one of the several reasons I shoot two matching bodies, currently GX7s. When I'm shooting, the spare battery in my pocket will fit whichever camera needs it.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3
  6. listers_nz

listers_nz Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 22, 2013
    Christchurch, New Zealand
    Simon
    Check the voltage written on the side of all the batteries - pretty sure they will all be 7.2V. In which case you can charge any of them in any Panasonic 8.4V charger they will fit in, even if you have to shim it to make it fit. The charger monitors the battery while charging to know when it is charged (hence the LED on the charger) and all lithium cells behave the same way in terms of how the charger knows when they are fully charged, so you are unlikely to have any issues. What you may find is that some chargers will output slightly more current than others, so will change the batteries slightly faster, although the difference is pretty minimal.

Hence why you can buy something like this: Amazon.com : DigiPower TC-U450 Universal Camera Battery Charger (Black) : Digital Camera Battery Chargers : Camera & Photo which will charge pretty much anything you can throw at it

Looks like the G5 shares the same battery as the GX8
    The GH3 and the GH4 share the same battery
    The GX7 uses the same battery as the GF3 did, and also the same battery as the LX100 (and also by all accounts the upcoming TZ100/ZS100 travel zoom withn the 1" sensor)

7. carlosfm

carlosfm Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 3, 2015
    Lisbon, Portugal
    Those aftermarket chargers have only two electrical contacts to the battery, it just doesn't smell right.

8. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    I dunno. I never smelled one. I have, however, succeeded in charging batteries with them for years. As an MSEE I know that more sophisticated chargers can be designed and built, but I see no reason for them in my application.

• Like Like x 1
  9. listers_nz

listers_nz Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 22, 2013
    Simon
    Generally the way you charge a Lithium Ion battery is you monitor both the voltage and the current, when the battery voltage reaches 4.2V per cell AND the current going into the battery starts to drop, it is charged. You can do this using just two pins. The other two pins of the battery are generally for battery monitoring (temperature, etc). They are almost certainly used by the camera, they mauy not actually be used by the charger (haven't pulled one apart to find out).

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    Yeah, the fact that my GX7 and GX1 use different batteries is a source of constant annoyance, especially since the GF3 that came before the GX1 uses the same battery as the GX7 that came after. Grargh.

...at least the G7 and GX8 use the same battery?

Wouldn't that be fantastic if I got a GX8 and had a 3rd unique GX battery to deal with. Grumble...

11. carlosfm

carlosfm Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 3, 2015
    Lisbon, Portugal
    No comments on the smell, on your MSEE or on your success in charging batteries.
    This is the correct information:

Quote:
    "The third pin is usually for an internal temperature sensor, to ensure safety during charging. Cheap knock-off batteries sometimes have a dummy sensor that returns a "temp OK" value regardless of actual temperature.
    Some higher-end batteries have internal intelligence for charge control and status monitoring, in which case the third pin is for communications.
    "

Why are there 3 pins on some batteries?

12. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    carlosfm, we went through all this in another thread several weeks ago. The reaction to all your pontifications about batteries, explosions, danger of lithium cells, etc. was by and large met with complete indifference from other thread participants like myself who have been successfully using aftermarket batteries and charging with aftermarket chargers for years. Let's not go through that again.

The OP asked only about sharing batteries and chargers between cameras. He did not ask why there were three pins on batteries.

13. carlosfm

carlosfm Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 3, 2015
    Lisbon, Portugal
    I don't want to go over an endless argument again, believe me.
    But it is not good advice to recommend a third-party "universal" charger.
    The original charger charges the batteries much better and safely.
    And if the batteries are the same voltage and the same physical shape, they will charge with one of the original Panasonic chargers.
    I think this is better advice to the OP, honestly.
    If the batteries are different, use the correct original charger. I would really avoid those "universal" cheapo chinese chargers.
    This is my opinion and it is not going to change.

14. listers_nz

listers_nz Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 22, 2013
    Simon
    From Panasonic's own information, genuine batteries are fitted with internal protective devices to guard against overcharging, internal heating and short circuit.
    So to answer the OP's question again, by all means charge any Panasonic camera battery in any Panasonic camera charger, provided it is designed for the same voltage battery (i.e. don't try charging a 3.6V battery in a charger designed for 7.2V batteries :)). You don't have to use the original charger that came with that particular battery/camera.

The same cannot necessarily be said for some unbranded 3rd party batteries (which may or may not have any protection fitted) or chargers - although in the case of cheap chargers you are more likely to have an issue with the charger itself rather than it damaging the battery (assuming the battery has internal protection of course).