3 new manual M43 prime lenses from Kowa?

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by Timmy, Feb 19, 2014.

1. Timmy

Timmy Mu-43 Regular

Dec 3, 2013
    Wiltshire - UK
  2. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Yea - that 8.5 looks the business - if it's not crazy expensive, I'll definitely look seriously at one.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

There are already 2 other threads for these lenses which were first announced back in November.
    This is the primary thread - https://www.mu-43.com/showthread.php?t=55486

They are meant for video production and will be expensive{in relation to photography lenses}. They are fully manual and probably have no electrical contacts. The aperture rings should be clickless for video use and the focus rings have gears on them for using a follow focus.

I found a site selling the CCTV versions of these lenses and here are the prices = 8.5mm - $1245, 12mm - $1245, and 16mm - $1185. The cine versions will probably cost another couple hundred each.

Kowa BTW is a very old company with many years of experience making all kinds of lenses. They even made cine lenses in the past{1960s to be exact}. The original Kowa cine lenses were Japanese copies of the Bausch and Lomb Super Baltar lenses. Back then they were the cheaper alternative for movie lenses but they are now very sought after and sell for big bucks{as do all the old cine lenses}. Kowa is trying to cash in on the current trend of DSLR style cameras for video production. Most notably these lenses are intended for the AF100, GH3/4 and Blackmagic video cameras. They of coarse can be used for still photography but that is not the target.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Timmy

Timmy Mu-43 Regular

Dec 3, 2013
    Wiltshire - UK
    Apologies I should of searched first before posting!

Yes they do look pricey - always nice to see new lenses being added to the M43 catalogue though,
  5. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
    There is a chance they could have electrical contacts to tell the camera focal length, similar to the Tokina 300mm.

Kowa is a Four Thirds supporting company, so they have access to the protocols.
  6. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

Yes they have been around for a long time making fine photographic equiptment and optics. I still remember wanting the lovely Kowa SeT Leif shutter SLR camera with a set of lenses.
    Don't beat yourself up too much about it. Many people never do a search before posting, like they are supposed to. It's annoying, but typical really, so you have lots of company.

And yes, I do not see these lenses selling for much less than their C-mount versions, even if they employ some cost cutting manufacturing measures. They will most likely be offered around a grand, but that price could drop as time goes on and the volume of sales increases.
  7. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I don't see them selling for less at all! The bodies needed for these lenses plus the m4/3 mount would force them to be more. I can't see them downgrading the optics although they might want to improve them{better coatings etc}. When Kowa first announced them they said they would be affordable for cine lenses. What you need to keep in mind is what movie production lenses sell for! Zeiss cine lenses start at $4000 and go up from there, Schneider lenses are similarly priced. So even if these lenses are $1500 they are a bargain for video and movie use.
  8. GBarrington

GBarrington Mu-43 Veteran

You neglected to mention the wonderful Kowa 6 line of medium format still cameras of the 1970s. A buddy of mine had one and it was about as sharp as the film stock would allow. I was incredibly jealous.
    • Like Like x 1