3 m43 cameras down - 1 GH4 up - I got my Panasonic Lumix GH4 today!

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Ramirez, Feb 24, 2015.

1. Ramirez

Ramirez Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2011
    Hello friends! It's been awhile since I wrote here, been working hard with my little "media" business (hybrid photography oriented).
    I'm involved in teaching hybrid photography on evening courses and I have done a few "hybrid" weddings etc.

Well, I've taken the plunch now to the 4K/Ultra HD world! I need to have that service to offer customers. The Ultra HD TV:s is getting cheaper.

So, I had to make some changes again. This is expensive stuff so I decided to do a trade in even if you always lose some in those kind of deals. But I don't have to have any monthly payments :)

I traded in Olympus OM-D E-M5 with battery grip, Panasonic GH3 and Panasonic G6 for Panasonic LUMIX GH4.

Now I'm down to GH4, Nikon D610 and Fujifilm X100s.

I need to save up for another 4K video device for multicam video recording. In the mean time; D610 will serve as a second video cam (in HD of course and manual focus pre selected on the spot that needs to be in focus).

It going to be nice to get to know the GH4!

2. sprocket87

sprocket87 Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 29, 2011
    Nice! I would love to try my hand at doing video seriously.

Have you looked at the Samsung NX1? All initial reports indicate it's a beast of a 4K video shooter.

3. Ramirez

Ramirez Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2011
    I've read about it. It is a nice camera too. But then I would have to change all my lenses; and I would have to get a lens as good as my Lumix G 12-35 for it.
    One thing that isn't clear to me with the NX1 is the 4K mode; I have only read that it does 4K in 24p - no other? I am not sure about that. But if it only does 4K in 24p it isn't an option for me.
    I need the Ultra HD in 25p too as I'm in PAL-land. That would be a bad thing for NX1 if it only does 4K in 24p.
    Then I've read a lot about the GH4 and as I understand how the GH3 works; the GH4 is a "safe" bet for me :)

4. Ramirez

Ramirez Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2011
    I've just started to insert some basic setting into my GH4; wow it's a mammoth of a camera!
    My Nikon D610 almost feels like a child's toy next to it (feature wise, not size wise).
    The endless possibilities of configurations. The GH3 had a lot but the GH4 has got a lot more.
    To take advantage of this hybrid camera to it's fullest needs serious studying!
    The fun starts now :)

• Like Like x 1
  5. Conrad

Conrad Mu-43 Veteran

I configured the C1 setting for photo, and the C2 for movie. That tames the beast a bit and I can quickly switch between video and photo. If I need to customize one of them for a specific situation (wb, exposure mode, focus setting,...) I save the adjustment to one of the C3 modes and continue in the same way.

One relatively unknown setting combination: configure the ael/afl button on the back as "focus" while removing the half press focus action off the shutter release button. Then switch on focus peaking and switch to manual focus. Magic: the ael/afl button will still autofocus the camera, but you will also have focus peaking so you have very accurate feedback where the camera actually focused.

6. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    I have C1 set up for sports shooting (AF-C, 7.5 FPS, Back button AF), C2 set up for 1080p (100 Mbps mp4), and C3 set up for 4K, 4K photo, and 1080p @ 96 fps.

The GH3/4 is a great camera, extremely customizable, and fits my hand perfect. I already own a GH4, but am looking to pick up a GH3 as a back-up/second camera.