3 lenses. 3 processing styles. 3 images.

Discussion in 'Street, Documentary, and Portrait' started by Livnius, Apr 14, 2012.

1. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe

Had a fun day out in downtown Melbourne yesterday taking a few shots with my GX1 in what is surely going to be one of the last days of genuine warmth and sunshine before our notorious 5 month winter kicks in. I decided to take my new, or seldom used lenses just for kicks and discovered 3 things.

1. I really enjoyed using my Pany 20/1.7 and I am comfortable keeping it alongside the PL25 in my kit. For me, it is different enough.

2. Love my new Pany 7-14mm, fantastic lens ...but it will initially anyway, require a more considered approach to framing my shots coz man, 7mm is WIIIIIIIDE !!

3. Despite the Oly 45 being a marvellous little lens that has for many (myself included) all but relegated the 'fast 50' to the bottom drawer, I actually had a lot of fun with my last remaining legacy lens...the Asahi Pentax SMC Takumar (50mm f/1.4) and it has a loving home in my kit bag.

The Original Google ...with the P7-14mm (admittedly cropped a fair bit)
    melb_11-4-12a.

Seeing Double ...with the P20/1.7
    melb_11-4-12c.

Loyal ...with the SMC Takumar 50mm/1.4
    melb_11-4-12b.

Just out of curiosity, what do you guys think of this type of B+W processing ?
    I realize it is quite heavy on the deep black (much like the image below which I took last week with the PL25 and posted on the "Real Street Thread") ...not quite hardcore 'Film Noir' but definitely strong black in both. I've only just recently began to play with Nik SFX and BW conversions and find I'm quite liking this heavy handed approach. What do you guys think ?

melb_11-4-12.

• Like Like x 6
  2. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    That works for me. I like contrast ... remember for B&W you need a black in every image as a baseline (black = black, anything less than black is a shade of gray). You also have to remember that your eye is attracted to bright stuff (white areas for B&W prints ... diamonds for females).

G

• Like Like x 1
  3. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    :smile:

Cheers Gary.
    In the "Loyal" shot....I tried to brighten up the area around the dogs head and the mans pointed hand as this action was to my eye the key element of the image, the understanding between the 2, so I wanted to emphasize that. I've been considering setting my GX1 to B+W mode and shooting like that for a while, I'm hoping that it may help me to better relate the real life coloured reality in front of me into B+W.......seeing things through the VF/LCD that way just may help me understand how different colors and light translate into B+W.

Joe.

4. capodave

capodave Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 4, 2010
    Southern Cal
    Dave
    Wonderful set Joe.

• Like Like x 1
  5. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Seeing in B&W is a bit tricky. You need to see in color density, certain shades of green, red, blue will all reflect similarly ... appearing the same in your image. You need to look at form and shapes and give less importance to edges based on color.

Good Luck and Good Shooting,
    Gary

• Like Like x 2
  6. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    Not according to Epson. I have light black and light light black ink cartridges. No grays at all.

7. KVG

KVG Banned User

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons
    I love b&w so I'm kinda bias

8. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Oh yeah, I forgot about EpsonVision and their black and white world. I wonder how they would label their inks if they wore rose-colored glasses.

G

9. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    I like your processing. I certainly don't mind the black. "Loyal" though is starting to band. I is too contrasty for my taste. I can't tell how much is exposure and how much processing. It is the weakest of the set.

I do like the subtlety of the first as it still has some crisp contrast and detail. The second is fun with the contrast between the light coming out of the dark. The last is fine too. By playing hard and fast with the blacks, it makes it rather disconcerting as it looks like it could be one image or a montage of several images, it could be real or it could be staged. It has a nice visual mystery going on.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    There is magenta, light magenta, light light magenta, and vivid magenta, so I guess the world could be a rosy as they want. ;)

11. Crdome

Crdome Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 11, 2011
    West Central Indiana
    Chrome
    Both are great explorations. The raw, extreme contrast in Loyality condenses the essence of the photo to the subject, (which is a fabulous capture, congrats). In the earlier photo the wide range of values makes the image visually seductive, that pulls the viewer into the scene. Thanks for sharing. -Chrome

• Like Like x 1
  12. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    Really appreciate the input guys.

Gary thanks again, I think I may put some more of my images just to see how the different colors react as you suggested, I've already seen just from my own catalogue of shots that B+W doesn't work equally with all images....I'll take your advice and try keep a more keen eye on shapes and lines rather than just on shades of color. Many thanks.

Hikari, thank you. I went back to the 'Loyal' image and I see you are indeed correct...I notice some banding in the dark area right in front of the guys outstretched finger !! A great tip and something keep an eye out for the next time I try this heavy handed type B+W.

Crdome, I'm glad you saw the 'Loyal' shot in the way I was hoping the viewer would :)

Thanks again guys, the advice and little tips from such comment and criticism is invaluable to me. Just tryin to learn and you guys help out big time....again and again :)

Cheers.
    Joe.