1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

3 from new 25mm

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Iansky, Apr 6, 2012.

1. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    This weekend is the first time I have had to try out this lens and I wanted to see how it performs wide open.

I took the flowers and we had a little bit of breeze so they were moving but pleased with results, the taps have a great sample of the OOF area and I do like the bokeh with this lens - all in all - Happy!

Blossom_Bokeh.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  2. everythingsablur

everythingsablur Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 4, 2010
    Toronto, ON
    Wow. You really can appreciate the smooth, creamy bokeh that the 25 can put out in that picture of the taps. Well done!

So is it worth the extra cost over the 20 in your opinion? I'm not sure I can justify the cost of settling my 20 to buy the 25...

3. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Ian - I was just about ready to sell my PL25! :dash2:

Seriously, great photos, and glad you are enjoying the lens!

4. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Nice photos Ian. I'm glad you're liking the lens. I love my PL25.

5. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    I traded in my 14-42X that I hated and my 2yr old 20mm for this lens and despite it being a lot larger than the 20mm it is a superb lens that is great wide open, has a great bokeh, is faster and hunts less than the 20mm and for me a big plus - it works with AF-C, something the 20 does not.

6. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nice use of DOF. Some people force it just because they can and the photos look odd. These look nice. I especially like the valves as they repeat into the distance.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    I am very pleased with the 25mm, it is very well made with a nice solid feel to it.

It definitely focusses faster than the 20mm in all light and I have not had it hunt except when on the very limit of close focussing - the added advantage of being able to AFC with this lens is great and all in all a very worthy lens that will now become my standard for street shooting.

8. Crdome

Crdome Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 11, 2011
    West Central Indiana
    Chrome
    Wow! The faucet is fabulous shot. What is the appx distance of the repeated faucets?

Other than lack of AFC on the 20mm how did you find its performance? I shoot mostly in very low light situations and use a Kodak Cine Ektar 25/1.4 but often find I'd like a bit shorter lens and have been seriously considering the 20mm. -Chrome

9. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    I have both lenses. Optically, the 20 is a sharp as the 25 in the center, but the 25 is sharper across the field. The 25 also renders out of focus areas smoother and has less chromatic aberration. I think the real choice between the lenses comes down to focal length, size, weight, 2/3 stops faster and cost, but not really image quality.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    I could not justify or afford to keep the 20mm as well as the 25mm and I prefer the 50mm equivalent for street work.

• Like Like x 1